Thread: Pad or No Pad

Pad or No Pad

My daughter and I have an under Quiit, sleeping bag, and a wool blanket. Should I buy a pad for this fall or winter or would we be good. This is our first Fall/winter trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    j.wrightsman - not enough information. What is the rating of your UQ and sleeping bag? What is the expected temperature for which you are seeking comfort? Does your tarp have doors? Will you be using a Sock or UQP? All these things influence a yes/no answer. Because you already have a UQ, I'm guessing you're thinking it might not be warm enough and you're considering adding a pad to increase the comfort rating.

The deal is, everyone is different, and every location is different. 23° in the dry high desert is different than 23° in the wet Olympic National Forest. So, as fall approaches, spend a night out, note the minimum night temperature, and if you and/or your daughter were comfortable. There are a few posts about inexpensive thermometers that hold and display the lowest temperature reached at night.

Do this at home so, once you go beyond your comfort level, you can escape back into the house. There is no shortcut. Once you list your gear, someone might say it's good enough. They might be right, they might be wrong. The good news is, you don't need to roll the dice.

If there is nowhere to hang at home, consider getting a cheap, simple, cot and use it as your lab. You don't want it fancy - but see if there's a way to support/hang your UQ under it. I'm guessing a single-layer canvas cot will get close to your hammock experience - except for that UQ part. So if you can't use your UQ to insulate the bottom of the cot, scratch that idea.

It is good that you are checking/asking ahead of time instead of hiking out five miles and having a miserable night. Have that miserable night at home then make adjustments.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    j.wrightsman - not enough information. What is the rating of your UQ and sleeping bag? What is the expected temperature for which you are seeking comfort? Does your tarp have doors? Will you be using a Sock or UQP? All these things influence a yes/no answer. Because you already have a UQ, I'm guessing you're thinking it might not be warm enough and you're considering adding a pad to increase the comfort rating.

The deal is, everyone is different, and every location is different. 23° in the dry high desert is different than 23° in the wet Olympic National Forest. So, as fall approaches, spend a night out, note the minimum night temperature, and if you and/or your daughter were comfortable. There are a few posts about inexpensive thermometers that hold and display the lowest temperature reached at night.

Do this at home so, once you go beyond your comfort level, you can escape back into the house. There is no shortcut. Once you list your gear, someone might say it's good enough. They might be right, they might be wrong. The good news is, you don't need to roll the dice.

If there is nowhere to hang at home, consider getting a cheap, simple, cot and use it as your lab. You don't want it fancy - but see if there's a way to support/hang your UQ under it. I'm guessing a single-layer canvas cot will get close to your hammock experience - except for that UQ part. So if you can't use your UQ to insulate the bottom of the cot, scratch that idea.

It is good that you are checking/asking ahead of time instead of hiking out five miles and having a miserable night. Have that miserable night at home then make adjustments.
    Thank you for your insight. You gave me a lot to think about. I am actually building removable post in my backyard to set up our hammocks, so doing what you said would be beneficial before we venture out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Clark TX-250, WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Agree with Cougarmeat. Its a lot of personal preference but packability was important to me on a route we trekked in Arkansas called "Eagle Rock Loop". Its roughly 26 miles and the bulk of the sleeping pad was a "no go" for me. I picked up a Jacks-r-better top and bottom quilt and frankly......never even think about it anymore. The quilts stuff down so well unlike the inflatable or foam sleeping pads.

I also am a "side sleeper" so that lends its effects to what I like and don't like up to and including what type of hammock I'll use and no longer will.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I generally don't like pads because they take away from the comfort of the hammock but if your UQ isn't warm enough they can help. With your wool blanket you can drape that over your ridgeline and bugnet to create a winter sock like cover. Just make sure to leave venting room by your head and feet to avoid condensation overload.

• + New Posts