Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Clark Hammock and a pad? How low can you go comfortably?

I've been considering trying a pad (inflatable or ccf) in my Clark TX-250. I'm thinking a pad would work way better in a Clark than a gathered end hammock. I'm wondering if anyone who routinely does a pad in a Clark can tell me 1) What pad you use and how cold it will take you to 2) How well it stays centered underneath you. I have an oversized overstuffed 20 degree down quilt.

I have an under-quilt but want to consider other options for long distance hiking. A pad gives something to use for going to ground, staying in shelters or anywhere you can't hang. Anyhow, I've tried a thermorest ridgerest in my gathered end hammock and won't ever do that again. So, that one experience makes me skeptical enough to ask about a pad in the Clark.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

I always think about this one when someone brings up a clark

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post

I always think about this one when someone brings up a clark
    Thanks, I've seen that video. Unfortunately this guy's set up is probably way too heavy for a long distance hike. He doesn't cover what temperature it will handle either.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    i mean it's a clark. if you've got one, you're already not a gram weenie

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I looked on the Nemo site and couldn't find any mention of the pad and bag compatibility. Must be there some where?
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    i mean it's a clark. if you've got one, you're already not a gram weenie
    You're right! I'm not a gram weenie nerd. BUT, there's a big difference between carrying a little extra weight (actually about 2 to 3 lbs extra when you add it all up) on a long weekend 20 mile trip as opposed to a 2200 mile 5 month trip on the Appalachian trail. I'll carry a lot of extra weight on a short trip and the clark comfort is worth it. Anyhow, I'm in the early planning stages of a possible thru-hike and trying to work out a plan for a sleep system.

Images
    Litetrek - I've no experience at all with a Clark, but I own and have tried a lot of different pads. In my view, the most comfortable pad that also has a decent R value and is reasonably light and packable is the REI Helix.

Just missed their sale, unfortunately, but this one is more comfortable than the Thermarest or Nemo pads, and warmer than the Sea to Summit Etherlight XT or Big Agnes Zoom UL. It's also cheaper than any of those, plus you can buy and try, and return within a year if it won't work out for you.

https://www.rei.com/product/202288/r...r-sleeping-pad
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-24-2023 at 21:07.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Litetrek - I've no experience at all with a Clark, but I own and have tried a lot of different pads. In my view, the most comfortable pad that also has a decent R value and is reasonably light and packable is the REI Helix.

Just missed their sale, unfortunately, but this one is more comfortable than the Thermarest or Nemo pads, and warmer than the Sea to Summit Etherlight XT or Big Agnes Zoom UL. It's also cheaper than any of those, plus you can buy and try, and return within a year if it won't work out for you.

https://www.rei.com/product/202288/r...r-sleeping-pad
    Thanks. I've been an REI co-op member since about 1975. My question is mostly wanting to know how well any pad (inflatable or CCF) works in a Clark hammock (warmth and weight not comfort). The Clark shape sort of traps the pad so I'm guessing that it wont slide out from under you. Hanging in the air has to reduce the pad insulating efficiency so I was hoping for some real world experience. I tried a ccf pad in my DIY gathered end once and will never be repeating that. I spent the night either freezing or retrieving my pad from the ground after it fell out (like every 30 minutes).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Anyhow, I'm in the early planning stages of a possible thru-hike and trying to work out a plan for a sleep system.
    The video has a NEMO Cosmo 25-inch wide pad at 2.2-lbs

Nemo makes a Cosmo 30XL which is 30-inch wide and 80-inch in length by 4-inch thick.

REI has several Nemo's and its NEMO Tensor Extreme Conditions Ultralight Insulated Sleeping Pad 25-inch wide and 76-inch long and 3.5-inches thick pad at 1.7-lbs, which is 8-ounces less than the Cosmo 30-xl.

Your Clark TX-250 is somewhere around 3-lbs, 6-ounces and an added 2-lbs or so for a pad.

This puts it in the same range as my Amok Draumr 3.0 with its Fijol Pad (about 5lbs) so it is certainly feasible.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    The video has a NEMO Cosmo 25-inch wide pad at 2.2-lbs

Nemo makes a Cosmo 30XL which is 30-inch wide and 80-inch in length by 4-inch thick.

REI has several Nemo's and its NEMO Tensor Extreme Conditions Ultralight Insulated Sleeping Pad 25-inch wide and 76-inch long and 3.5-inches thick pad at 1.7-lbs, which is 8-ounces less than the Cosmo 30-xl.

Your Clark TX-250 is somewhere around 3-lbs, 6-ounces and an added 2-lbs or so for a pad.

This puts it in the same range as my Amok Draumr 3.0 with its Fijol Pad (about 5lbs) so it is certainly feasible.
    Thanks. My weight budget for a pad is something right around a pound or less. That system in the video is crazy heavy for me. The clark is too heavy to begin with but I had in mind a 3/4 length 20 degree down underquilt and a 3/4 length pad. Even that setup is too heavy for me but if I could cut weight on other items it might be worth it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast