Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Another favorite, Clyde! I switched from DEET to picaridin a few years ago - love that the stuff doesn't melt my compass and other gear, and I feel it's less sticky and works just as well (or better). I hadn't considered hitting the hammock with it though, perhaps I should rethink that!

The gear showed up UPS and I gave it a first hang yesterday. 25 degrees with a 15 degree wind chill, and the Wooki was very comfortable with just a flannel and some jeans. I did notice a little exposure where the Wooki didn't quite cover as snug as I'd hope hear my head and left shoulder; I pulled it up a few times there. It was indeed my first attempt, so I'll be giving it more time to see if I feel I can be as mosquito protected as I hope (will be easy to test this in the near future as they hatch in the Minnesota spring).
    20230406_110608.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BoundaryBound View Post
    Another favorite, Clyde! I switched from DEET to picaridin a few years ago - love that the stuff doesn't melt my compass and other gear, and I feel it's less sticky and works just as well (or better). I hadn't considered hitting the hammock with it though, perhaps I should rethink that!
    20230406_110608.jpg
    Get the liquid picaridin in a pump spray. You can transfer it to a smaller bottle if you hike.

I really dislike deet. In addition to what it does to plastics, it will make my skin crawl and if I use it all day I get sort of a brain-fog/headache from it too. I personally have not noticed any negative side effects from using picaridin over that last few years.

Nice looking set-up. I like the colors.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Ah, thanks Clyde. I was a little uncertain about color as I see a lot of forest green and camo out there. I'm moving from an orange hammock and I like that it gives good visibility to what is sitting in it, so stuck.with that. I decided on a dark blue underquilt to avoid mistaking it for the hammock and wrecking things by landing in it alone. I also like the orange tarp as an easy way to identify my camp site on a lake - places I go are usually pretty isolated so I shouldn't disrupt the scenery for others with autumn orange, but it may help me to navigate home after a day of fishing.

As you can see, way too much thought put into color selections!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Mosquitos see dark colors more easily, which is why you always hear it's a good idea to wear light colors to avoid the pests. Bright colors, such as whites and yellows, are more likely to deter mosquitos than dark hues.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I've heard that too, iceman857, but where I go the mosquitoes literally land on my smoking Themacell and try to bite it. Dark blue and black on my prior underquilt didn't attract them, though many do get trapped under the yellow rainfly on my son's tent (yes, he's still sleeping on the ground despite the wisdom handed down from his dear old dad).

I have to admit, of course, that I had a tent collection before I had a hammock collection. I guess as Mark Twain said it, “Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”

Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    An external, all-encompassing Wise Owl (or other) bug net might be a good extra layer of defense. Sounds like an extreme situation, better safe (and comfortable) than sorry.

Amazon link: https://tinyurl.com/yyy2r4kr

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket
    I believe the Warbonnet underquilt protector zips on to the hammock. So if you were really worried about mosquitoes that could help. Agree with everyone else though on the permethrin.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Hey again, all - thanks for the tips!

I realize after a few test setups, spending time adjusting tension, angles and whatnot, I unfortunately can't get the seal I'm looking for with the wooki by my left shoulder so feel I would need to modify it. Also, I think I'd need to add another pullout at the feet to keep the footbox from drooping onto my feet. Photos below. In both cases I'd fear the mosquitos who have been good at getting me through single-layer ripstop in the past. I'm trying a different approach - the sewn on underquilt from Superior Gear. I lose a little flexibility but will exclusively be using the hammock with the underquilt anyhow, and this option guarantees no gaps. I add about 4 oz, but gain maybe 1,600 square inches of underquilt coverage too.

Overall, seems good in theory, especially since the first prototype Superior hammock was put together for a solo trip into the BWCA. Order placed - time will tell if it pans out.

20230414_135812.jpg20230414_140316.jpg

Hammock
    Home Brew
    Tarp
    REI 12*12
    Insulation
    HG Incub REI top
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch buck
    Here where I Am, the Mosquitos will carry you away. I use a Bug net that covers the entire hammock. Mostly I guess because I dont have one with the bug net attached. Would a full on bug net work better?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Right, CandiFrog, a full net would do the trick. I have one in fact, but abandoned it years ago since it rested against the hammock which didn't repel mosquito bites in those areas. With a Wooki, there would be a buffer to hold the screen off the hammock, but then there is the extra item, weight, and all that fuss.

The Superior Gear hammock showed up this week, and my hunch is I've found the solution to this. If I never intend to use the hammock wiian underquilt then why not just sew it in place and be done with all the filling, right?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12