Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I have both, but only have one night in the JRB zip-on underquilt from Dutch so take this with a grain of salt. The Superior hammock doesn't have a place for air gaps since it is sewn in. The JRB for the Chameleon has an end gap that can be cinched up with some shock cord (I do wish that it had a collar to help seal it better, though). I think temperature ratings are all over. My Superior Gear 20 degree feels like a reasonable 20 degree rating. The JRB 20 degree feels closer to a 30 degree or even 40 degree (again, limited testing). And for comparison, I've had my Loco Libre 30 degree Carolina Reaper down to zero with a reflectix torso pad and was great.

Phantom, if I make it to the rat hang next month I'll bring both for you to see.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I've had my Loco Libre 30 degree Carolina Reaper down to zero with a reflectix torso pad and was great.
    I've used my double-layer Warbonnet Ridgerunner with a 30 degree ridge reaper and a 3.5 R-value Amok Fjol pad to get down to 6 degrees. Pretty useful system for some winter camping.

/off topic post
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I have a superior 30* that in my opinion needs a little more bottom insulation in any situation other than mid summer in the high cascades. So I just add my Warbonnet Wookie 20* to the bottom. I have added plastic snaps to both the Wookie and to other hammocks I use them with. That method works great. I use my wookies on several non Warbonnet hammocks without a problem. Also, plastic snaps are dead simple to add.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Hello HangingOut, I think everyone will have a different experience based on their own bodies. I just spent a night in the 30's in my Superior 30 degree with a 40 degree top quilt and was completely toasty.

I don't have a DW UQ for my chameleon, but I think everyone has covered that above.

For the thread, I don't think you can go wrong with either option. I think it should really matter more on what you are looking for with the other options.. Do you want to be able to take it off, vent the uq, etc. I am sold on my Superior Gear, but the chameleon is an amazing hammock as well.

Love following all these threads! Thanks
    Don

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also on these UQs we use ...we must remember to migrate the down from time to time, more often than not, for full efficiency.
    The times I've ever had cold spots was due to the down shifting during packing and unpacking the UQ and just plain forgetting to check on if the down was dispersed in the places I need it. Buttocks, back and feet.
    Always work reminding ones self to check on this.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Couldn’t agree more Shug…. I notice you’ve often shared this key piece of tuitional info here on HF….. on point for the reasoning to enjoy the worthiness of our UQ’s — TQ’s the gear we own…. Give ya quilts a quality good shaken people

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I would send an email to Superior gear and ask if you can special order a 12 foot hammock /underquilt. I thought I read a post a while back where one of the HF members did that.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Give ya quilts a quality good shaken people
    I'd like to check something with y'all. I haven't done a whole lot of down migration mitigation the way Shug describes it, because I've not experienced cold spots that often. My general practice for taking care of my quilts (UGQ, Loco Libre, Western Mountaineering, Enlightened Equipment) is to put them in the dryer after each trip, put it on zero heat (IMPORTANT STEP!), and put about 6 wool dryer balls in for a 20-minute cycle, then put them back in their cotton storage bags. I've not seen any degradation in performance or longevity of materials from this practice, but do you think I'm putting my gear at risk by doing this?

Here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Dryer-Ba...014WOWNAY?th=1
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I would send an email to Superior gear and ask if you can special order a 12 foot hammock /underquilt. I thought I read a post a while back where one of the HF members did that.
    Can’t hurt to ask. (Not sure if I’m the one you’re referring to— I did request a 12’ hammock not too long after they de-listed the 12’ option and they obliged.)

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I'd like to check something with y'all. I haven't done a whole lot of down migration mitigation the way Shug describes it, because I've not experienced cold spots that often. My general practice for taking care of my quilts (UGQ, Loco Libre, Western Mountaineering, Enlightened Equipment) is to put them in the dryer after each trip, put it on zero heat (IMPORTANT STEP!), and put about 6 wool dryer balls in for a 20-minute cycle, then put them back in their cotton storage bags. I've not seen any degradation in performance or longevity of materials from this practice, but do you think I'm putting my gear at risk by doing this?

Here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Dryer-Ba...014WOWNAY?th=1
    I *think* that's okay. I do the exact same thing with mine (dryer no heat, wool balls), but maybe after every other trip or so, or sometime only if they have been wet from condensation on a winter trip or something. Regardless, I do let them air out in the family room for a few days draped over some chairs, then pack them up in the storage bags.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast