Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

total noob from ma

Hello new guy here from Massachusetts looking to get my first hammock. Never slept in a hammock before think I want a chameleon but not sure if I need a single or double layer 11 foot or 12 foot .I'm 6' 270lbs and have no idea what I need. I started thinking I was going to spend around $250 for a nice set up but looks like I need to double that just to start. most of my camping will be by ponds and streams with lot of mosquitoes. thankyou

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I would call Dutchware and ask their suggestions.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome to the group!
    A single layer, especially depending on material chosen,is going to stretch more once weight is added than a double layer will. I'm in the 220# range and went with a double layer (both on my Chameleon and my Blackbird) and have been pretty happy with both.
    I also camp near water, and the mosquito net was a huge game changer for me. Oh, and it's harder for mosquito to bite you through double layer
    Don't be afraid to keep an eye on the buy-sell section and pick up great gear at a reduced rate. I picked up my first hammock from here, as well as some quilts. I have to outfit two sons as well so saving money is important

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Single or double....? You will face many choices in this journey. Enjoy it. It is fun to be new and it can be exciting. One thing at a time. Be patient.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    its expensive - but I subscribe to the idea of cry once and be done ... when I can.... I'd suggest a Superior Gear bundle of your choice and rating. I'm 6'3" and 250lbs Price out the others with top and bottom insulation and bug net and you decide

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’d get a single layer hammock made with material rated for my weight. A reputable cottage vendor can advise on hammock fabric and bugnet.

For backpacking you might want an 11 footer
    And for car camping you might want a 12 foot hammock.
    A six foot wide hammock might have too much loose fabric. And a five foot wide hammock might be a bit narrow. I would go with 66 inches wide finished hammock.

A good cottage vendor can give great advice, as they sell thousands of hammocks and have beta tested all their offerings, as well as having feedback from their customers.

No need to get a double layer hammock, unless you are going to use a closed cell foam pad inserted between the layers. If you get right fabric, it will be fine for your weight.

Best of luck!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Contact the folks at Dutchwear. I'd also suggest contacting Dream Hammock. Discuss with both. Both are great vendors, know their products, will make suggestions, custom hammock for you and your needs.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the party! Another thing you may want to consider is attending a group hang. That way, you can see what folks are using before making a purchase decision. It looks like there's a Spring hang in MA in the month of May that you can find here Hammock Hang Events - Gatherings & Calendar | Dutchware (dutchwaregear.com)
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use an 11ft single layer Hexon 1.6 Chameleon. I'm 6'1" and 260. Works fine for me, I don't find it too stretchy. Not as stretchy has my older 70d Warbonnet Eldorado (newer ones use 40d Dreamtex). Since this is your first hammock...you won't know your preferences until you start trying them out.

My journey was a 9' Walmart hammock. Worked ok, calf ridge was always present, but it was far better than tent camping on the ground. Picked up DW Half Zip in Hexon 1.6 during a sale. At the time, it was asym and standard lay (newer ones are symmetrical). Had issues with flopping around in the hammock, so I thought maybe I needed reverse lay. Picked up the WB Eldorado and flipped the bugnet for reverse lay. Same issues. Got the DW Chameleon with a symmetrical bugnet. Works for me. I find that I flip flop between standard and reverse lay several times throughout sleeping. So now, my asym hammocks are loaners.

If you're hot to trot to get gear now, keep in mind that if it doesn't work out...reselling on here...stuff moves pretty quick (you'll need to have a total post minimu, I think 50). I think all my purchases from the vendors was during their sales (Christmas, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, July 4th, etc).

As suggest by others, search up on group hangs near you and head to one.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hi,

I recommend you join us for the Spring Swing in Ashby this year May 12-14. Lots of folks will be there and you can probably trial a hammock as many of us have multiples and we have extra top and under quilts. Just let us know what you need. we are a friendly bunch, especially if you bring us bacon. Go to North East Hangers for more info, our Facebook page for NEHHA. request entry and you shall be granted access. Ask any question in the discussion. Hope to see you there! I also recommend you hold off on hammock as you may find you prefer a bridge hammock and not a gathered end. I totally love my Banyan Bridge from Dutch. I also have a chameleon but I like my bridge hammock better. I am a side sleeper and sleep great in it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast