Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Becket Hitch

Thumbs up Becket Hitch

Hello everyone,
    I have a question if I use a 10' line of am steel 7/64 to run from my tree straps to my continuous loop on my hammock using the Becket Hitch will this cause any problems down the line with am steel on am steel??
    Like The way this hooks up using the Becket Hitch.
    Thank you so much for your time.

Derek Hansen (The Ultimate Hang) warns that Amsteel on Amsteel MAY slip. I think there is also possibly some concern about the combination of the tight radius and compression. Of course, this is a bit different than using the Becket Hitch on a piece of hardware. THAT has been shown to be tough on Amsteel, especially on a thin object. It MAY be a non-issue with a CL. I'm not sure how easy a slippery BH releases in your scenario(?)

The Turtle Tie from Fugal, because it is reasonably thick and uses a wrap or two, SEEMS to be easier on the Amsteel.

I'm guessing that others use what you propose and may find it perfectly acceptable.
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-15-2023 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Derek Hansen warns that Amsteel on Amsteel MAY slip. I think there is also possibly some concern about the combination of the tight radius and compression. Of course, this is a bit different than using the Becket Hitch on a piece of hardware. THAT has been shown to be tough on Amsteel, especially on a thin object. It MAY be a non-issue with a CL. I'm not sure how easy a slippery BH releases in your scenario(?)

The Turtle Tie from Fugal, because it is reasonably thick and uses a wrap or two, SEEMS to be easier on the Amsteel.
    Thanks for your reply

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    If I understand correctly what you're doing why not a Whoopi, or a UCR? Either w/ a soft shackle or two. Though I'll agree that a turtle tie and a long line w/ a loop at one end for the tree strap should work fine.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd steer clear of that, if I were you. I have used UHMWPE straps with Amsteel and it slips; I have to imagine the same would be true for Amsteel on Amsteel. I did determine that it's possible to use UHMWPE straps with an Evo loop for a continuous loop, however. That works a treat.
    button knot soft shackle as a continuous loop - YouTube

becket_hitch.jpg
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    If I understand correctly what you're doing why not a Whoopi, or a UCR? Either w/ a soft shackle or two.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    The single lead DOES offer more adjustability and uses less Amsteel...

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I don’t recommend amsteel becket hitch on amsteel continuous loop. It might slip, or damage amsteel.

If you are willing to experiment on yourself, you can try it, and monitor your results.

If you go to group hammock hangs, you will see many many different hammock suspensions. And they all work; demonstrated by fact, they are being successfully used.

Some wrap becket hitch two wraps for increased grip
    Good luck!

Let us know how it’s working

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you want to tie amsteel to amsteel, go with the J-bend.

This one of the few knots that you can tie virtually anything to anything or anything to itself and it won't slip.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-15-2023 at 17:08.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Becket Hitch

Now I remember seeing J-Bend on YouTube
    J-Bend How-to
    By J. Garcia

J-Bend is a variation (according to Ashley, all variations are new knots in their own right) a variation of Marlin Spike Hitch, demonstrated on YouTube by Shug.
    Marlin Spike Hitch does not slip and does not jam
    J. Garcia said J-Bend does not slip!

J-Bend is a marlin spike hitch tied in strap or suspension line. The continuous loop becomes toggle. And some loose end doubled strap or suspension line helps lock toggle (continuous loop) in place, without slipping through marlin spike hitch

J. Garcia did say, J-Bend takes some practice getting it in exact chosen place on strap and continuous loop.
    He is able to get J-Bend in desired location, so that his hammock is at desired height off ground.

Ease of Use is reason I don’t use J-Bend
    I know how to tie J-Bend
    Phantom too lazy to practice placing J-Bend so that hammock is right distance from ground on first try!

Cmoulder, it’s always good to read your posts. You’re knowledgeable on a vast array of all things hammock!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-15-2023 at 17:45.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Cmoulder, do you currently use Lapp knot or Lapp hitch to join tree strap to continuous loop at hammock?
    Is it not a slipped finish? For fast and easy camp pack up?

I wonder if your Lapp hitch would be good tied with amsteel suspension to amsteel continuous loop!!!
    And I wonder if Lapp hitch tied in amsteel would benefit from an extra wrap or two?!?!?!?!?
    To prevent slipping!

If an amsteel knot or hitch slips while under load (you in hammock) then amsteel will be damaged, possibly burnt black and weakened from hot friction.

Once amsteel slips under heavy load, and turns black—it’s weakened—and you need to replace amsteel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast