Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up Specs for my new -10° Burrow & Incubator

So I should have my new quilts tomorrow and I can't wait! They are both custom -10° and both have a few custom touches added as well....

First, the Burrow.... It's a custom short 60" length × standard width. Since I'm 5'7 and I don't pull my quilts over my head ever, I wanted it to come up to just under my nose so I can still get mostly covered w/o having a bunch of extra quilt bunching up in my face all night. So to do this they removed the top down tube, effectively shortening it by 5" and making it the exact length I wanted. Next , since I don't use a pad they ommited the Beastie D triangles for me. I also asked that it be they same style as Shugs custom orange and black Burrow with vertical tubes for the body and horizontal for the footbox, this is so it will lay on /drape over my body better w/o any bridging due to the amount of down that's in it...( plus I think it just looks cool having dif colors on the dif parts of the outside of the quilt lol.) And speaking of quilt construction, both the Burrow and Incubator have a 5 " tall baffle height to allow the down to loft as much as possible. The Burrow has a whopping 19.28 oz of 850fp goose down for a total weight of 26.52oz ! I can only imagine how many total inches of loft it will have! I went with dark olive green Argon .67 outside and black taffeta .67 inside for max comfort and to save a little weight where I could.

For the Incubator, I also chose to go with a short × standard instead of the regular × standard that my 0° 'bator was. I also went with dark olive green .67 outside and black .67 inside to stick with my standard color scheme and match the Burrow. As far as custom additions, I had them omit all but 2 of the small Beastie D triangles that are on the top of each side. The 2 that were kept are located so that one is on the side of the quilt where it will line up with the bottom mitten hook of the pull out on the entry/exit side of my XLC and the other triangle lines up with the net tie back ribbon that's on the shelf side of my XLC. By using a small micro S biner from the pull out mitten hook to the corresponding triangle on that side, and by tying a slippery half hitch with the ribbon through the triangle on the other side, I can keep it locked in place right on my shoulder all night and open it up slightly to create a little more room inside the hammock. This is the same way a JRB winter nest and a HH line up and clip together using the HH asym pull outs. This -10° quilt also has 5" tall baffles, but is filled with 19.18 oz of 850fp goose down and has a total weight of 30.98 ozs !

I will post pics tomorrow when they get here, and a video review of them and of my other fall/winter insulation and hammock set up options soon as well. Harry was absolutely awesome with helping me design a set of quilts that will get me through the worst of any winter I could see here at the head of the Chesapeake bay. Last winter was extremely mild here and I still had several nights at or below zero with a wind chill that made it feel much much colder. So I knew I needed a set of quilts that would give me the 10° buffer most of us like to have, and HG was my first choice. I might not ever bottom these 2 down monsters out using them here, but knowing that I'll never have to worry if I've got enough quilt and that they are made just for me and to my exact specifications makes the extra price and small weight penalty more than worth it. I'd love to try them out in some extreme conditions sometime, but for now I'll be more than happy when its single digits or slightly below and I'm nice and cozy wrapped in 40oz of downy goodness , drinking my coffee and watching the sun rise over a frozen Chesapeake bay on a clear, calm, blustery Sunday morning in mid January. Can life get any better? Pics of that to come as well !!!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBRR HGCP
    Tarp
    HGJourney DWaysm
    Insulation
    WBUQ20 HGTQUQ LLG
    Suspension
    DW Spyder CB WBCB
    When you purchased these , was 950 fill available ? if so;can I ask why you didn't pick that option ? I'm asking reasons other than cost.

Images
    In case Chesapeake doesn't see this or answer -

Using the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine), the Hammock Gear website as of Oct 1, 2017 only listed 850FP goose down, with a choice between Argon 67 and Argon 90 for fabrics.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketDebris View Post
    When you purchased these , was 950 fill available ? if so;can I ask why you didn't pick that option ? I'm asking reasons other than cost.
    FWIW - and opinions vary on this - I prefer the 850 loft for the UQ. Seems to resist humidity better than the high fill power options. Also does reasonably well in windy conditions. If you backpack you can offset some of the volume issues with premium lower denier fabrics. I have higher fill top quilts and they are nice as long as I keep them dry and air out back at home.

• + New Posts