Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Someone please check my thought process: 40* econ incubator/ 20*TW

Hello hammock people. March madness at Hammockgear finally pushed me over the edge, and I ordered a 40* econ Incubator this the weekend. 20% off. As mentioned in an older thread, I'm in Socal, and don't camp in inclement weather, on purpose anyway. I'm thinking this is a good summer underquilt, not bulky, and probly good for most mountain conditions May thru October here. Most likely will use it with a summer sock bugnet, which I already have. For more robust conditions, I'm thinking of picking up a 20* Trailwinder with the potential to stack over the incubator. It's a car camping thing, so weight is not an issue; I could easily throw both in the van if needed for a trip to colder climates. Seems like a pretty versatile combo on paper to me: 40* incubator, 20* TW, maybe a horrifying 0* stacked. However, the specs on the 40* specify only 1.5" loft, and that is concerning to me. It's a pretty thin loft. Love to hear from anyone with the 40* econ as a stand alone quilt and their experiences. I can probably call HG in the next day or so and change to a 30, or even 20. Thanks for helping me sort thru this. Btw, my current hammock is an 11" Dutch netless.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have a similar combo, a 20° TW and a 40° modified LL short. I also spend most of my time in S Arizona and S Cali. The only real difference is that I sleep in a hammock outside full time. I do stack my quilts in the coldest part of the year but I stack the down on the outside of the TW so that I don't compress the loft of the down.
    So another words, I think that combo will work just fine down here.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The 20° and 40° combo (with 0° for dead of winter) is what I started out with and used for years - along with either a UQP or a full sock (if I want the additional light blockage - street lights at home). It's generally gives great coverage.

But, after reviewing the temperatures for the last couple of years where I adventure, I think the 10° and 30° range may serve me better. The usual temps in winter are the low 20's so the 10° will work there. For me, 30° starts the "comfort zone" at 40° which covers most nighttime temps at higher altitudes. My UQ's seldom get too warm. If I need cooling I adjust the TQ.

Here is the backyard after one day of snow last Saturday. I was going to say your mileage may different in So Cal - but maybe not

Just think, the first day of SPRING is only 8 days away.

Backyard.jpg
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-13-2023 at 17:55.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Mr Cougarmeat, I'd say your climate is a bit brisker than mine, lol. Forgot to mention top quilts: have a jrb shenandoah 40*, and a Marmot 15* bag. Think I'm "covered" there. I like the 20/40 setup, just second guessing myself wondering if the econ should b 20* and the tw 40*...

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I personally wouldn't because I want my summer quilt to be a lighter weight one for backpacking, bikepacking, kayaking, etc. and a down quilt packs smaller and weights less. My TW 20° gets less use over the year.
    I do like the design better, as far as it's almost "plug & play" sort of easy. That's the reason I had my 40° short quilt modified so that it has a similar style.
    Of course it's your call for how and when you're going to use it.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I use a 40°F TW and stack a JRB 20°F Greylock 3. It seems to be a good combination for AZ. For a top quilt I started with a Katabatic Gear Flex 30°. Later I picked up a JRB Hudson River 20° F. I recently got a SLD Eclipse (Apex) Top Quilt 40°F for summer outings. I like the sewn foot box of the Eclipse.

That is a good point about the summer quilt being lighter and more compressible...

Images
    I have always preferred my UQ to be warmer than my TQ. One can always put on a sweater or coat and a stocking hat and gloves.
    But if your backside is cold there is nothing you can do but suffer thru the night.
    That aside a simple breathable UQ protector can add many degrees to your UQ setup. Good luck I hope I offered some advice to think about.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    We also have UQPs as recommend by a couple people so far. Because I know your environment just let me say this, I like them, I like the concept, but . . . because of the high winds that we can get, especially in the desert areas and often pre-rain, they can be very hard to keep on the hammock unless you have it tarped up like a house and even then the wind will sometimes still sneak around and peel them right off the hammock. In an instant they look like you're going kite sailing at the beach.
    So as much as I like the concept, and I do usually pack it w/ me, I find that I don't use it as much as I'd like and at times when it would be the most useful, when it's serious blowing rain.
    I'm sure some variation of UQ hooks or ways to tie it to the hammock would help a lot but I haven't gotten to clear my plate enough to start experimenting w/ that.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Thanks for all the thoughts. Think I'll stick to my original idea and leave the order as is, at 40*. Reviewing my camping experiences and tendencies, the 40 should suit my needs fine for the most part, while being as un bulky as possible. Inside the summer sock should add a few degrees cushion as well. Think I'll pick up a trail lair/trailwinder 20* combo for cooler times. Gotta be prepared, lol. Looking forward to a new piece of HG...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast