Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Our daughter is 20yrs old and hammock camps with us and at college. What I have found though is like Shug said originally, the social media usage has changed over the years. Our daughter rarely goes on FB or any forums but uses other platforms for communication and learning. I just don't have time to keep joining new platforms and connecting with new groups these days! So many! But in our circle of friends and family we spread the good hammock word and the usage of hammocks for camping keeps growing.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I don’t join in here too often because I try to let everyone speak their peace if they stay on subject (related to hammocks).
    It irks me when people make statements like “this forum is not user friendly”, without stating what they are referring to. Or start bashing the site and comparing it to other sites. This site is unique because we keep it on subject and family friendly, and we stick to our guidelines. I don’t think that can be said about other websites. However, I am not going to compare apples to oranges.

I am not sure what is meant by user friendly.
    I think this web site is straight forward.
    You come here and post about hammocks or things related to hammocks. If things like politics, guns, racial, bashing, sex, or things that are not related to hammocks gets posted then we removed the post.
    It also keeps it a family friendly website and helps to keep people bashing each other. This also helps with the search function for finding things on the web site.
    If we let everyone post on topics unrelated to hammocks or let the topics tray off subject (hijacked), then the focus would not be on hammocks. It would make it hard to find or talk about the things you came here for, hammocks. You would have to weed through all the banter that was unrelated to hammocks and that would turn people away.

With that said, this thread has gone off topic and has been hijacked. Why people can’t stay on topic and always have to throw in something to stir the pot or try and get people upset, I don’t understand.

It seems like this has gotten back on topic now, I hope.
    If you want to get this back on topic, then I will keep this thread open.
    If you want to explain why the site is not user friendly without bashing anyone or other websites then I will allow that also for a little bit.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    This thread has inspired me to finally contact my local independent outdoors store and ask if they'd like me to put on a free short clinic on hammock usage. They sell ENO and Grand Trunk, plus lots of cool outdoorsy things, and do a lot of community events.

Anyway, I get the sense that most folks' complaints about the forum's user-friendliness are things about the site functionality, not the moderation or content. I like this forum, but then again I used to code my own websites and am comfortable using basic HTML. Also I view this site 99.5% of the time on a laptop. It's painful on mobile. Not sure there's much that can be done about the forum's functionality without migrating to a different structure, which can be a project and likely not worth the effort. There are far worse forums out there in terms of usability.

Not on FB at all, never have been, never will. Reddit I use a good bit, but for many specialized subjects, especially outdoors things, the subreddits are just too surface-level to be interesting, with too many people posting basic questions or short things about trips. Very few deep discussions happen there, at least about hammocks, stoves, etc. Reddit also has its own structural issues and quirks that are not user-friendly to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    With that said, this thread has gone off topic and has been hijacked. Why people can’t stay on topic and always have to throw in something to stir the pot or try and get people upset, I don’t understand.
    The only truly hijacking post I've seen (in quote form, must've been deleted) was from a moderator.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    I think it’s probably more popular than ever, but unfortunately, with all the other media avenues, something’s got to give. I guess it’s not surprising traffic is not what it use to be. the for sale forum use to actually be exciting to check in on. Without the innovation… the excitement just isn’t there. There is actually threads in the past where our own cottage vendors (who contributed regularly) would have civil but real disagreements. I was not around during those pioneering days but man o man… they must of been fun.
    To add one more thing. I have both an original haven and an xl. While I have gotten away from them myself it is too bad we are not seeing more innovation like that from our cottage vendors. Because whether or not you want to believe it, it’s a pretty innovative product and they’ve sold a ton of them. Same with the zenbivy line of quilts.
    kris
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 03-27-2023 at 18:33.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Dutch’s side entry tarp looks pretty innovative . I haven’t bought one yet but I do have a spreader bar bug net which is another innovative product that I’m glad I bought

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I'm still seeing more people getting into hammocks. Younger people it seems are the biggest adopters, as those who have been into camping for many years usually have their gear and loadouts already pretty dialed in and don't want to change without a good reason.

The vast majority of the under-25s that I know personally are using hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    Dutch’s side entry tarp looks pretty innovative . I haven’t bought one yet but I do have a spreader bar bug net which is another innovative product that I’m glad I bought
    ....wrong thread? It's the same idea from the side-opening A-frame tents. Someone on here made a side-opening tarp and shared it a few years ago I think too.
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    My wife and I just got the double Chamelion and think that it is very innovative. More people might hang if they knew that stuff even existed. I see a trend in Boy Scout troops with kids hanging as well as the tenters (ground dwellers). I am still working with one of our camping group to take to the air.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Original member here from when we fractured off of Whiteblaze. I know I'm not here nearly as often, being mostly on my phone on FB, where there are several groups I interact with. I have my frustrations there as well, but its a little more simple to use in the time that I have, whereas I used to be on HammockForums or Whiteblaze during working hours, which is much harder to do now. No doubt that a proliferation of other options, and changing ways in which we spend our online time are why HF.net numbers are way down.

With that proliferation of informational options, I think that says the hobby has increased in numbers. If it had not, then I think more of the cottage folks we know of and love would've gone under, been sold, etc. Instead, there are more cottage folks than there ever have been, though that does seem to be decreasing in growth. I don't see as many hangs going on, but I presume we're still socially feeling the effects of the pandemic, though some hangs' numbers are through the roof.

I don't think its lack of innovation, per se, as much as the life cycle of innovation is entering the point on the curve where there are larger numbers of smaller, more incrementally innovative things going on as opposed to main hammock products that are substantially different. Dutch continues to roll things out, nothing that rocks the hammock world as perhaps he used to, but all the same, pushing the hobby forward. Superior Gear's innovation I think has taken its integrated insulation format to new levels as we see others trying to innovate in ways that that compete with that integrated format. So I think the industry is ultimately moving on from the strict modularity that has been the framework of the hammock camping setup since we started moving on from Hennessy. I expect to see a lot more innovation in this regard.

And there is nothing in terms of friendliness, or lack thereof, here that I haven't seen before. Some subjects are just hot spots for those who might tend to take things a bit too seriously. Like when I've poo-poo'd on ENO. I have my reasons, and I know people have there reasons for liking ENO, and I've never said anything about how others shouldn't like ENO - though you would think I had based on some responses. Whether its ENO, another product, a way of doing things, knots or no knots, whatever it is, its just really easy to perceive criticism of things that might be someone's baby, and they react based on perceived cuts received that are not nearly as deep as their reactions. Same thing happens on FB, and I would say to a greater degree.

There is also a shallowness to FB responses that irks me, whereas this elderly format of HF.net allows for someone like me to write more long-winded, but hopefully more complete responses to inquiries. I think that's where HF.net will continue to thrive. It will always been a bastion of hammock info from all the conversations it contains since 2006, searchable for answers that are mostly still current and probably always will be. I hope ATTroll keeps it up.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I don't think its lack of innovation, per se, as much as the life cycle of innovation is entering the point on the curve where there are larger numbers of smaller, more incrementally innovative things going on as opposed to main hammock products that are substantially different.
    There is also a shallowness to FB responses that irks me, whereas this elderly format of HF.net allows for someone like me to write more long-winded, but hopefully more complete responses to inquiries. I think that's where HF.net will continue to thrive. It will always been a bastion of hammock info from all the conversations it contains since 2006, searchable for answers that are mostly still current and probably always will be. I hope ATTroll keeps it up.
    All great points! I know I've searched for one thing or the other on here and end up finding some old posts from 2010 or something thats relevant. What stands out to me is how much hammockers were tinkering and going the DIY route to come up with new hammock hanging solutions. I look back on that era with a bit of a sense of wonder, though Im also glad I can just fork over some money and get fantastic tried and true gear!

FaceBook is awful, and I'm glad I deleted my account years ago. Its strictly forums like this or BushcraftUSA for me. The format just allows for longer, more detailed posts and conversations that I enjoy.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    By the way, anybody else see Shug's latest video? Bit of history there related to HF. YouTube is another source of info that is more widely used today than it was before. The fact that google comes to him to pay him money also suggests that the hobby is growing.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast