Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    FaceBook is awful, and I'm glad I deleted my account years ago...
    Yes and no. There's been a lot more relevant content recently, much of it with better admin oversight. But its far from perfect and the format encourages brevity, which produces misinformation. Or at least incomplete info. And I find some attitudes are worse than we've ever seen here, not to mention the spam which we really don't get here. I do hope people start to "find" this site again and utilize it more.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I seem to see more hammocks in the wild... and on Youtube by some hangers that seem to not have come here to "research" the "best practices" of Hammock Camping. Also, Covid did stop me from going out more the past 3 years and that also seeped into my coming here more often.

When we moved HangCon to Sertoma Youth Ranch in 2019, I noticed a lot more hangers that I didn't recognize from this site. The move was already on then. I missed HangCon 2021 and then the last 2 years at HangCon, the amount of people there where mostly from Facebook and I almost felt like an outsider, even though I've only missed 1 event since 2012.

Also, the cottage vendors that we have here have been innovating so much in the Hammock World that it seems like their work has been used by so many other companies that now, I don't even know many of the kits out in the wild. I do catch myself thinking, "that looks like [insert Vendor's name here] designs". And the outside-of-America gear has exploded in volume so much that I'm sure that has driven some traffic to sites outside of Hammockforums.net.

For me, I love how easy it is to start a thread for a new hang, interact with others about said event, and make a Trip Report to have a wonderful discussion about others point of view and how to do it better next time. This also goes for reading threads for other events I can't attend. And, it seems a little less personalized and harder to locate older posts and events on other sites for me.

So, I've seen more hammock traffic in the wild, but by a larger audience then Hammockforums.net from before and gear from a wider number of foreign companies.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yes and no. There's been a lot more relevant content recently, much of it with better admin oversight. But its far from perfect and the format encourages brevity, which produces misinformation. Or at least incomplete info. And I find some attitudes are worse than we've ever seen here, not to mention the spam which we really don't get here. I do hope people start to "find" this site again and utilize it more.
    Yeah I'm a part of a bunch of a Facebook groups and it's very hit and miss, there is great stuff but also terrible. I see 2 terrible peices of advice all the time.

1. People always tell you to oversize, someone will post that they want a hammock and they are 5'2" and you will get 10 people say that you need a 12' hammock and a 14' tarp. When someone that size would easily fit in a 10'.

2. People just suggest what ever they own, especially when those people have only had one hammock and it's not best for that person.

Not long ago I was looking between 3 hammocks and I posted the reasons why I was looking at those 3 and I got maybe 20 responses to buy something else which didn't fit my criteria.

But at the same time you have a lot of people sharing thier set ups and trips that are great.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    https://youtu.be/jpRf0BX2AzA

Shug is the reason I started hammock camping and a then my wife wanted to try it and she was hooked. All of this was because of watching Shug's videos of the Hickery Brothers which just happens to be at the location where we camp at the Linville Gorge. Most of communication for get togethers for our group is usually through Hammock Forums or Linville Gorge .net. Yes this much better than Facebook in my opinion. If I want to go back to the start of this thread, for example I can just go back and find it but on Facebook it may never be found due to the flock of other stuff that just rolls by by the minute.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I failed to give credit to Hickery in this journey. Kent has become a dear friend as well as Shug in our adventures.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    While I think more people are aware of hammock camping today, the rigs and customization that forum members focus on here are still rather niche. I think far more people tent camp. And the boom in outdoor equipment sales during Covid has already subsided so I’m not sure how rapidly the industry is evolving. I use both tents and hammocks, and pick the right tool for the job based on my trip, availability of sites/trees, and ease of deployment. My hammock set-up is far more comfortable, and as I’ve gotten older I appreciate the added comfort even if it adds some weight. But looking at the people I see on the AT or major trails along the east coast where I camp, the majority are still using tents. Either way I’m glad I have met good people through HF and appreciate all the wisdom and tips of the trade they’ve shared with me to improve my hammock experience. I’m a tinkerer at heart and this hobby fits that profile quite nicely.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    My wife and I have switched to a hot tent for hammocks in the winter but use a traditional tarp otherwise. We hang double even when backpacking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789