Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    I know I rarely come here anymore. It was different when it was constant innovation, but eventually that slowed down dramatically. Also I noticed all the regulars drifted away and a swarm of new members sorta took over. Also the incident that I won't mention, brought a new mod who's name I won't mention soured the atmosphere for me and a lot of others I know of.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Many believe this forum is not user friendly. And compared to other on-line forums does not get updates to make it more user-friendly.
    Absolutely agree.
    It may be a limitation of the hosting software or the format. But simple feedback options like a like button for posts, cut and past pictures, web site info etc. I find having to be able to write code, to get my links, pictures, quoting posts, etc. antiquated, time consuming, not intuitive, and not user friendly.
    Other items like being able to see a post and scrolling to the next, instead of drilling down to the forum desires, then individually clicking each post of interest, Then having to click page 2, 3, and now 4 to see what people have said... i.e. on this thread. Also, having later replies, like mine disjointed from Karla "with a k"'s initial post by 30 comments and 2 pages. i.e sub-thread linkage.
    Not being notified if someone has replied to something you said, or mentions you by name etc.

Then once done with a thread/forum you have to backing out to go into the next.

That all said, I still do like the bulletin board format and in a lot of ways it is easier to find stuff. And this is not to say it is bad. But, there is some room for improvement, if the software has the capability.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I would definitely hit the "like" button for that post.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Is hammock camping as popular as it was 5-10 years ago?

I believe short hammocks are reason for both initial popularity and ultimate dislike of hammock camping

Short hammocks are sold at big box stores, and big box outdoor stores.

These short hammocks are so short, they cause camper to sleep straight in line with hammock in a “banana” type lay.
    Camper can not get a good diagonal almost flat lay like you get in a recliner that leans all way back—not flat, but very comfortable.

Also these short hammocks are generally sold without insulation.

Many of these hammocks are sold without tarps.

I’m sure many noobies have tried to sleep overnight in their new short hammocks.
    While comfortable for brief periods of lounging—they are not comfortable for overnight sleeping due to “banana” lay and CBS Cold Butt Syndrome.

What will they do when there is a brief rain shower?

Some big box outdoor camping stores are beginning to offer:
    Hammocks eleven feet long
    Insulation both top and bottom insulation
    Tarps sized to keep hammock camper dry during rain.

But not enough—just mostly shelves full of short cheap uncomfortable hammocks that ultimately are a turnoff to many new hammock campers interests.

On another note I access Hammock Forums through Tapatalk, It’s easier for me to navigate posts I find interesting and the font style and size is much easier for me to read!

My first hammock was a short hammock sold without insulation or tarp. Thanks to Hammock Forums, I quickly moved up to more comfort in land of snooze!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    brought a new mod who's name I won't mention soured the atmosphere for me and a lot of others I know of.
    That sums up my assessment of the situation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I know I rarely come here anymore. It was different when it was constant innovation, but eventually that slowed down dramatically. Also I noticed all the regulars drifted away and a swarm of new members sorta took over. Also the incident that I won't mention, brought a new mod who's name I won't mention soured the atmosphere for me and a lot of others I know of.
    I think this has A LOT to do with it. Innovation is all but gone. Fakebook has brought in the "amazon generation", the best is whatever's cheapest nevermind the hard working cottage vendors who have been with us since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I would definitely hit the "like" button for that post.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    A like button?!? That's what you want? I've seen that elsewhere and it becomes a race to like posts and get the most likes for your post. What does that add to the knowledge base? What's so difficult about responding favorably, or unfavorably, to a post. Opens up discussion, doesn't it? And that's how we learn

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Neither of you have added to this forum's content for years. Thank God you are not on the Facebook Page.
    Don't let the screen door hit you on your way out.
    If you have forgot how to do that I has a 1 button perma ban you are just one click away boys.
    I think this post about sums up the reason for reduced participation. Nothing confrontational about either poster you referenced. Did we just find out who it is that won't be mentioned? Shouldn't a mod be inviting differing opinions and open discussion?

I think providing opinion and advice DOES add content! Even if I don't always agree with the ideas.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I think this post about sums up the reason for reduced participation. Nothing confrontational about either poster you referenced. Did we just find out who it is that won't be mentioned? Shouldn't a mod be inviting differing opinions and open discussion?
    With all due respect, regardless of who may have been referenced in the original comments, a moderator immediately resorting to ad hominem attacks against forum members and threatening permanent ban for expressing opinions is not a good look.

But to bring it back to the original question, most times I have been out in the past few years I've seen at least a few hammocks (aside from those camping with us), though I think many of them are just using them for lounging. Have seen a few sleeping overnight in them, though. That's an increase from years prior, where the only hammocks I ever saw were the ones our crew were using.

Very little of what I've seen is much other than mass market equipment though - stuff you can get on Amazon or at REI. Then again, that may just be indicative of the specific areas in NJ that I end up.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 03-16-2023 at 20:51.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    With all due respect, regardless of who may have been referenced in the original comments, a moderator immediately resorting to ad hominem attacks against forum members and threatening permanent ban for expressing opinions is not a good look.
    My point exactly! I think you just worded it better

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    My point exactly! I think you just worded it better
    They teach Latin out east!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast