Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    They teach Latin out east!
    Yeah, I had to look up a couple of those words!

To add to silentorpheus's edit, most of the hammocks I see out and about are of the mass produced variety. Day loungers with the occasional overnighter, although they're typical ill prepared in winter weather.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    To add to silentorpheus's edit, most of the hammocks I see out and about are of the mass produced variety. Day loungers with the occasional overnighter, although they're typical ill prepared in winter weather.
    I think only once (that I can recall) have I seen any of those who slept in their hammocks have them set up in a way that could possibly be comfortable. So I'd guess that at least in this corner of the world there's still a lot of room to grow.

Hammock
    Home sewn, 11'
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Synth UQ, Down TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

I came back!

Interesting thread going on. I left the forum 2 years ago for 2 reasons. First, I moved to Texas from Virginia. Depression set in when I first found out about the move. Texas? No trees I thought. Second was the perceived lack of comfort in a hammock. Everyone raved about how comfortable a hammock was to sleep in. I didn't agree. Well, since there were no trees in Texas anyway, I'd have to switch to a tent.

My rebuttal to my comments now! First, I live in eastern Texas. I have more trees in my current yard than where I lived in Virginia! Second, I spent almost 2 years trying to get comfortable in a tent. Last tent outing (in Big Thicket National Park) in SE Texas 2 weeks ago, I turned a 2 night event into 1 night because I was so sore in the morning trying to sleep on an expensive air mattress. So last week, I pulled out the old hammock, hooked up to two of my trees and slept like a baby! That convinced me to head back to Big Thicket this week and spend another night in the woods. That convinced me to drop the tent and come back to a hammock.

Who said an old dog can't learn new tricks!

Scott

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    A like button?!? That's what you want? I've seen that elsewhere and it becomes a race to like posts and get the most likes for your post. What does that add to the knowledge base? What's so difficult about responding favorably, or unfavorably, to a post. Opens up discussion, doesn't it? And that's how we learn
    I've seen that happen as well, but I've also seen threads get overly long w/ little one word comments, like "ditto" w/ some arrows pointing up, or "thanks". A "like" button is just an easy way to say "Thanks", "I agree", "nice post", ect w/o filling the thread up w/ posts that don't really contribute to the subject of the thread. Just imagine a thread where someone makes a well thought out post and then 5 people reply w/ "I agree" posts, or 10, or a hundred . . . pretty soon the thread gets filled w/ fairly useless chatter and harder to use for the information that's in it.
    A "like" button used in such a way can add a lot to the functionality of a forum. But like anything . . . it can be used poorly.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Dude, that comment was about as UN-professional as you can get as a so called moderator. Had no idea as to who was referenced until you showed us. Remember you have that same one button for yourself.

Images
    Is it getting a little hot in here or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Is it getting a little hot in here or is it just me?
    MENopause?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    It used to be that Ed Speer's site was the only place on the internet that hammock campers shared information and ideas. Then HF supplanted it (perhaps because it was easier to post pictures here?) The only other good source of information was Just Jeff's TotheWoods. Now there are many groups, forums, cottage vendor sites, youtube channels, podcasts, books, what-have-you. The newbies (and the oldies) are just spread out.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I also have had a similar thought. I continue to learn new things from OG hangers like Slowhike on Hammock Forums. The technology platform is most certainly not as user friendly as the social media platforms, but there's still lots to learn and share here in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I see more hammocks in the woods.
    As to the Forum, I think a lot of folks go on FaceBook and Redditt and other socials. Seems forums like this are sorta like sending emails. Possibly antiquated.
    Shug
    Boomer
    Old School
    I really don't know if hammock popularity is dropping off or not. Because, where I day hike and camp, I rarely see other campers at all, no tents or hammocks. So I can not judge. All though, there are my rare experiences in developed camp grounds. I still, as always/no change, see tents to camping hammocks 99 to 1. What I do see a bit more than I used to are developed camp sites set up with the usual tents or campers or RVs PLUS the occasional hammock hanging. Usually without a tarp. Maybe just for relaxing for short periods? So I don't know what is going on in the realm of hammock camping increase or decrease.

Summer before last, I flew(from down south) up to NY to meet some old friends who took me camping in the Adirondacks. It was a big camp ground with every sight full. I took my Tensa stand and SG hammock with me, and a WB bridge for my hanging buddy to try out. Unfortunately, with 2 big trucks and 3 large tents, our sight was so packed that my buddy could not find 2 tress that did not have a tent or truck in the way, so he ended up sleeping on a cot in the screened dining tent. I slept blissfully for 4 nights in my hammock hanging from the Tensa 4. With my ancient, beat up JRB tarp over that. At one point, some young guys from another site stopped by with lots of questions about my set up. They supposedly were hammock campers and had some hammocks set up at another camp site. I don't think I ever saw their hammock, nor any other. So tents still ruled, as always. At least at that camp site for that week.

As for forum use being any kind of indicator: Again, I don't know, because there are so many variables. Mainly other sites, like FB. I read and posted here daily for years. In fact, I joined here with the user name BillyBob58, and I am now 74. Do the math, Ha! But, it is rare that I post here anymore. Except if I get a private E-mail asking something, or a notice for a thread I am subscribed to. If a question is asked there that I think I can be helpful to, I sometimes answer with my opinions or experiences. The main reason I so seldom post anymore is: after multiple thousands of posts, I just don't have anything new to say! Nothing that I have not already said a hundred times. I guess I got sick of "hearing" myself talk. (and no doubt at least a few folks felt the same way about my posts! Can't say I blame them). So, I just ran out of gas for posting, however: STILL HIKING AND HANGING! And still not seeing many other hangers, at least not where I usually go. However, still way more than 16 years ago! Back then, mine (or my group) was the ONLY hammock wherever I went! These days, there is the occasional one in the developed campgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I know I rarely come here anymore. It was different when it was constant innovation, but eventually that slowed down dramatically. Also I noticed all the regulars drifted away and a swarm of new members sorta took over. Also the incident that I won't mention, brought a new mod who's name I won't mention soured the atmosphere for me and a lot of others I know of.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That sums up my assessment of the situation.
    I guess I have been here so rarely these days that I have no clue what any of that refers to. That is how out of touch that I am. I would not be surprised if most people posting these days have no clue who I am. Oh well, that is fine as well. The young ones come in and the old ones fade away, usually, that is the way it is!

Either way, happy hanging to all!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-17-2023 at 12:37.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    So BillyBob58 - you used a RidgeRunner with the Tensa4? Did it take a little finagling to get the angles right to work with the spreader bars? Were you lower than usual - if you had trees - off the ground? I've seen lots of videos of the Tensa4 with GE hammocks but not so many with the RidgeRunner or other bridges.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    So BillyBob58 - you used a RidgeRunner with the Tensa4? Did it take a little finagling to get the angles right to work with the spreader bars? Were you lower than usual - if you had trees - off the ground? I've seen lots of videos of the Tensa4 with GE hammocks but not so many with the RidgeRunner or other bridges.
    Hi Cougar: No I did not use a RR with the Tensa4! I used it with my SG gathered end hammock. My buddy was supposed to hang the WBRR from some trees, but was unable to find 2 usable trees that did not conflict with a tent or parked truck. So, he did not hang. I did, with a gathered end. I know some have managed to get the WBRR working with the Tensa 4, I am just not one of them, YET! But, I have had spectacular success using 1/2 of the Tensa 4 along with 1 tree and any and all hammocks. Easy Peasy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast