Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Ridgerunner weight limit question.

I've slowly fallen in love with the ridgerunner over the past couple years. I've been taking it only on shorter trips where I'm not hiking much and I'm close to my car. Now considering taking it on a weeklong section hike because I sleep so amazing in it. I'm right at the DL weight limit and hover just below #250. My question is has anyone had a failure with this hammock? I'm not sure what to look for as far as stress areas, wear and tear, loose stitching. Will the fabric, webbing or poles fail first? I use the aluminum spreader bars and have the 1st gen RR.
    I haven't been able to find anything on failures online other than user error with the poles not being securely fit together (with a spindrift where they aren't as visible)
    Anyone have any insights on this?

The fabric has a lot of tension on it. The most common failure is probably a small wear spot or snag or hole suddenly turning into a full length tear.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I weigh in at 240- I have spent dozens of nights in a double layer ridge runner with no problems. Heres a few suggestions 1. Be careful with the hammock- especially when getting in and out. 2.inspect the hammock regularly for damage- especially high stress areas like where the hammock body is sewn to the webbing. 3. Keep track of how many nights you have spent in it. I have found the ridge runner to be very strong and robust- but like all bridge hammocks it does have a lifespan. You should be able to get atleast 50 nights outof it before even considering a replacement. (Excluding damage). Warbonnet usually has great blackfriday sales- if you buy a replacement every 3 or 4 years that's pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by stevebo; 03-11-2023 at 17:01.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I weigh in at 240- I have spent dozens of nights in a double layer ridge runner with no problems. Heres a few suggestions 1. Be careful with the hammock- especially when getting in and out. 2.inspect the hammock regularly for damage- especially high stress areas like where the hammock body is sewn to the webbing. 3. Keep track of how many nights you have spent in it. I have found the ridge runner to be very strong and robust- but like all bridge hammocks it does have a lifespan. You should be able to get atleast 50 nights outof it before even considering a replacement. (Excluding damage). Warbonnet usually has great blackfriday sales- if you buy a replacement every 3 or 4 years that's pretty reasonable.
    I just got a WBRR and I sure hope I get more than 50 nights out of it! That doesn't seem like very many nights. Is that a guess or has it been mentioned before?

Thanks
    Joe
    “A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.”
    Doctor Who

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've had more than 50 nights in my WBRR and it doesn't look any different from the day I bought it (except for the myriad mods, of course). Granted, mine's a double layer, but has done very well for me. I weigh ~200 pounds.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I've had more than 50 nights in my WBRR and it doesn't look any different from the day I bought it (except for the myriad mods, of course). Granted, mine's a double layer, but has done very well for me. I weigh ~200 pounds.
    That works for me, mine is a DL too
    Thanks
    “A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.”
    Doctor Who

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    My understanding is that the limiting factor weight-wise is actually the compression pressure on the poles and the overall structure, rather than the fabric (which in a gathered-end would be much, much higher for the same fabric, especially in DL). I’m not up to 50 nights yet, but haven’t really seen much noticeable wear on my DL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UQ and pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + Buckles
    I'm 220ish and have had no problems with the RR itself. The only problem I've had is with their full-length Lynx underquilt. The little clips they provide deformed the second time I used it because it gets pulled tight. I put bigger carabiners on the rubber band end to give it a bit more give and haven't had an issue since.

• + New Posts