Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Suggested overnight hikes/camping by motorcycle near Manhattan preferably with fishing?

Some of my camping buddies have moved out of the city and and I'm considering doing some solo overnight hikes/camping trips where I can park a motorcycle and venture out safely for an overnight hang. I read about some overnight ~20mi loops in Harriman State Park where there are shelters they want you to camp at but I'd be worried about party crowds there but I guess stealth camping is an option.

If the hike isn't too long and there are some lakes/rivers I'd love to fly fish or fish for bass as part of the experience. Hiking isn't mandatory but if there's no hiking then I'd want to be on a lake so I can fish all day.

The last trip I did was ride my bike 5-6 hours to the Adirondacks on a Sat morning, then 2 nights on a lake campground that was pretty secluded from other sites at least. But I had a boat and the fishing was great. But 5-6 hours is a really long time on a bike... Ideally there would be something 1-2.5,3 hours away.

Any suggestions welcome. I have some new gear I'm eager to try out and I'd be looking at a May/June timeframe.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Copake falls is pretty nice area with hiking/backpacking. Not sure about fishing but I would say it’s likely. It’s in the Berkshires, ma, about 3 hrs off of route 22. Closer there is some camp sites north of Kent ny on the hoosatonic River. Lots of fly fishing there. I don’t know if hammocks are allowed though.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Since Manhattan is a hop, skip, and a jump from Yellowstone NP as well as a number of fine wilderness areas you might give those a go.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Some of my camping buddies have moved out of the city and and I'm considering doing some solo overnight hikes/camping trips where I can park a motorcycle and venture out safely for an overnight hang. I read about some overnight ~20mi loops in Harriman State Park where there are shelters they want you to camp at but I'd be worried about party crowds there but I guess stealth camping is an option.

If the hike isn't too long and there are some lakes/rivers I'd love to fly fish or fish for bass as part of the experience. Hiking isn't mandatory but if there's no hiking then I'd want to be on a lake so I can fish all day.

The last trip I did was ride my bike 5-6 hours to the Adirondacks on a Sat morning, then 2 nights on a lake campground that was pretty secluded from other sites at least. But I had a boat and the fishing was great. But 5-6 hours is a really long time on a bike... Ideally there would be something 1-2.5,3 hours away.

Any suggestions welcome. I have some new gear I'm eager to try out and I'd be looking at a May/June timeframe.

Thanks!
    If you go to Harriman I'd suggest parking at Tiorati Circle which has the safest (for NY) parking area and offers access to lots of hiking options. Lake Skannatati and Silver Mine Lake are also pretty good. Officially, camping is permitted at shelters, but 'unofficially' you will see many, many obvious non-shelter campsites. I live close to Harriman and have backpacked almost every inch of it multiple times and have never had and issue using these non-designated sites. And in all these years and all these hikes I have never, ever seen a hiking ranger on the trails.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts