Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Double hang bug net?

Hey guys, I'm new around here and generally lurking. But my wife has expressed an interest in possibly hanging with me, with the stipulation that we can touch at will. I'm thinking about Dutchware as a source for suspension options, to keep two hammocks side by side, but bugs are a thing. Does anyone know of a bugnet solution that will cover two big hammocks? Or another option? If rather not move to the ground if I can help it.

I've got a Hennessy Explorer XL and a OneWind 12', but will consider an additional hammock if needed to make this happen. Weight isn't a concern at this point, I'm just trying to get her into the yard for now. I guess it wasn't entirely fair that I became outdoorsy 20 years into a marriage 😂 Thanks in advance.

Somewhat of an investment, but you might want to look at Dutch's Double Dutch setup. Possibly recoup a little bit by selling the existing hammocks(?)

I don't know if Dutch brings this set-up to any hangs. You might check with him to see what hangs he will be going to. If there is one that you can attend, perhaps he can be persuaded to have one there that you could try out.
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-16-2024 at 14:44.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I understand the desire for a double net to protect you both. But two hammocks connected- sewn or with a spreader bar between them - is not necessarily bliss. And it is not necessary for nearness.

Here's the deal. When you are in a firm bed with someone, they can get up or change position and because of the firmness, the other person is not disturbed. In a hammock, if it is two hammocks sewn together as one, or two independent hammocks held apart by a spreader bar, the motions in one hammock will be transferred to the other. That may disturb sleep.

One solution requires a little more effort in tree selection. You use the same two trees for both hammocks, bringing one off the left side of the tree and the other off the right side of the tree. The hammocks will be separated by the diameter of the tree. They will be close to each other and hang independently.

Now you have the problem of your post - how to allow "contact" and yet have bug protection. With the two separate suspension lines that would be a challenge. But if you don't need the bug net protection full time, there are two solutions for that. 1. You both have your own full coverage bug net - either built-in or a separate one with a zipper opening on both sides. You'd leave the side facing the other hammock open until it's time to close up. It needs to be two-sided so you can get out of the hammock on the other side if you have to in the middle of the night. Another solution is a HUG net. This is a half-net that's suspended from your ridgeline and when deployed covers your head to mid-chest area. The idea is, that the rest of your body is protected because it's in a TQ and the bottom of the hammock has a UQ (or pad) so you are protected there. The HUG sort of drapes down on the quilt so it's easy to pull aside when not needed.

Though two hammocks connected directly together sounds cozy, maybe you can try it using some clips that connect the material of the two, and then you and your wife get in each. Move around and get in/out of your hammocks. See how that influences the other hammock, especially if the occupant is actually trying to sleep.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-16-2024 at 15:35.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Google “screen rooms” or “screen tarp”,
    There are a few options out there. The netting is sewn directly to the tarp and stakes down to the ground. You end with a large bug free area. Sit in comfort during the day, then hook up the hammocks at night. Fairly weatherproof, unless it’s raining cats and dogs and the wind will push spray in. There is another company that offers a huge net room with elastic shock cord that can be fitted around most any hammock tarp.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I have done some thinking on this.

Dutchware makes the Birds Nest which accommodates two hammocks.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/birds-nest-bugnet/

However I would hesitate to use the spreader bar for reasons stated above. You can find reviews of both on Sintax77’s youtube channel.

If money is no object, I would look into the YOBO Gear Cricket stand. https://yobogear.com/shop/cricket-ha...29583740234375

It accommodates two hammocks. Then you could use the birds nest bug net and order a custom tarp to go over it all.

A more budget-friendly option would be to purchase two Tensa Solos or Trekking Trees. Then you both could hang from the same tree at the foot end with solo poles at the head end. Of course, you would still need to get a custom tarp or creatively arrange two regular tarps.

Shug has a video featuring the stands which could give you an idea of how to arrange that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liYq7c...xWoe1f7AG8ufVh

Two other options are:

Hang one hammock from trees and the other from a stand aligned parallel to it. Again, it would require some creative tarp configurations since there would not be a center ridgeline.

Or - build two identical turtledog stands and place them side by side.

My husband and I have separate setups. I necessarily don’t like it, but it was the best we could do with what was available when we were purchasing equipment for backpacking.

One thing that I would advise is to consider tarp purchases carefully. I wanted the privacy and coverage of a Superfly while my husband wanted the openness of the Mountainfly. Unfortunately we cannot share stakes or porch mode poles when hanging parallel because the tie-outs are not spaced the same. We make it work, but it would be easier if they were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    I have done some thinking on this.

Dutchware makes the Birds Nest which accommodates two hammocks.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/birds-nest-bugnet/

However I would hesitate to use the spreader bar for reasons stated above. You can find reviews of both on Sintax77’s youtube channel.

If money is no object, I would look into the YOBO Gear Cricket stand. https://yobogear.com/shop/cricket-ha...29583740234375

It accommodates two hammocks. Then you could use the birds nest bug net and order a custom tarp to go over it all.

Wouldn't that be the YOBO Hive? https://yobogear.com/shop/hive-hammock-stand/
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-18-2024 at 16:34.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Wouldn't that be the YOBO Hive? https://yobogear.com/shop/hive-hammock-stand/
    I think you’re right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    I think you’re right.
    And I had totally forgotten about Dutch's Birds Nest. A bit cheaper than the Double Dutch setup and you don't have to have two Chameleons to make it work! Maybe just some suspension change to be able to use a spreader bar, if you go that way. Probably less jostling with not having the hammocks so interconnected. But, FWIW, there are some pretty high ratings from buyers of that system...

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    That Bird Nest has been on our list as well. I did learn from having a Clark Vertex that I prefer having a three point setup instead of a spreader bar. So I would make a dog bone that was the length of the recommend spreader bar just to control the spread and attach it to the CLs of the two hammocks. Anything less than that should be fine on the netting.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Ok, that Birds Nest net is pretty cool. I was kind of imagining something like that. As far as feeling the motion of the other person, I think we can deal with that for a short one or two night trip.

This all stems from me picking a bad two person tent for her first time camping. The Big Agnes Blacktail 2 is roomy enough, but not airy enough. She woke up panicky and not breathing well, and I woke up an hour later (like 2:00 AM) with her sitting outside the tent, with the inner open, and just rubbing my back. Apparently having physical contact with me was the only thing keeping her calm, so that's a "must have." She said that she felt like she was being smothered due to lack of airflow. Since then, I've switched to hammocks. So just looking t for w way o get her to try again. I could just get a tent with better airflow, but I'm addicted to the hang 😂

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast