Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1.5mm Taut Line Hitch Line

I am kicking the tires on something wondering if there is there any demand for a 1.5mm line that holds a Taut Line Hitch like a champ? I have been R&Ding such a line for a little while now as I am trying to start making a few lines under 2mm. This one will be the first one to be released.

Construction is as follows:
    1.5mm Dyneema/Polyester Blend, Dyneema for strength, low stretch, cut resistance, Polyester for color and knot holding
    It has twice as much Dyneema in it vs. my Ironwire Sheath in 2mm. So its pretty tough stuff.
    Single Braid, 8 strand
    Not Splicable, as its braided super tight (that is what makes it a good taut line hitch line)
    Break strength is probably around 175-200lbs. Its strong for its size but it was designed to be a good taut line hitch line, not be as strong as possible..
    Weight is about .90oz per 50'.
    Starting price is going to be $10 for 50'. $18 for 100'. $.15 per foot for spools 300' and longer. So $45 for a 300' spool.
    I will run it in Orange, Yellow, Lime, Black, Olive Drab, and Red. I already have some orange made as that is what I have been using for sampling. I am interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And your taut line hitch will hold even better, when you change to the midshipman’s hitch.
    Midshipman’s hitch looks exactly like taut line hitch with minor but important differences.

Up until 1945 the Boy Scout handbook showed the midshipman’s hitch version as the taut line hitch.

Then they changed to the taut line hitch version.
    Get Grog Knot app. Look up both hitches. In the information section they explain the SNAFU. Boy Scouts (National) have been notified, but ossified bureaucracies tend to double down and refuse to change.

Yes you can defiantly use a midshipmen's hitch instead of a taut line hitch or even an adjustable grip hitch. Whatever your preference is, should work. Its a super thin no hardware "hitch line". I know splicing and hardware is popular, so this line might not be.. But it is awesome stuff.

Thanks!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That sounds good for UL general usage. I probably wouldnt use it for things like my ridgeline or tarp tie outs, but would for tying down my pulk loads for example in the winter.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I use the adjustable grip hitch and 1.5mm is too small, especially in the cold that makes up most of my camping time, for these old carpenter hands. I can see the usefulness of it though, if it holds a taut line hitch well there's a slight possibility I would switch hitches. Might be worth a shot, for me, for a warmer weather setup.

Its definitely on the small side.. I personally like a thicker line. But lots of people have been asking me for sub 2mm lines for years now. I figured I might as well make it as hitch friendly as possible, that way it doesn't need hardware to use it..

If your not a gram weenie, this line is probably not for you. But if you are, then it should make you real happy..

It can also be used for prusik cord on 2mm and plus ridgelines, so that is a feature of it as well.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I would give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I would give it a go!
    Me too!

Cool sounds good! I should have it available soon.

Thanks
    Lawson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    This lightweight Lawson cord could be good with Farrimond friction hitch. Farrimond friction hitch is the only slip and grip hitch that can be tied in the bight—that is without access to either end of cord.

You can tie it with three wraps (yields 6 coils) or if cord is slipping, you can tie it with six wraps (yielding 12 coils). Since this new cord has a grainy texture, three wraps will probably hold well enough.

We all tend to tie knots we are familiar with, and that’s great. Or you might want to give this new hitch a try.

Thank you Lawson for offering new products, great for backpacking. It is expensive to develop, warehouse and sell new products—that may not have a mass market, but instead a niche product that will make hammock backpacking campers happy. Thank you Lawson.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast