Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Knew I should have looked more before I ordered, orange is what I was looking for. Next time!

Ended up ordering the blue from Go Hunt. Better I have cordage to rig up the Thunderfly then obsessing about a color. There were 8 left when I ordered.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Yeh, Lawson moved and is building a new shop. I communicate with him fairly often actually. He is doing mostly kernmantel ropes now. I love his stuff! I'll try and remember to update hear as I hear stuff.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

I appreciate the update. Hopefully they’re up and running in the near future because the OCD in me is freaking out. Like a dope I only ordered 50’ so had to rig my Thunderfly with both blue and red Glowire.CDF0B728-2AD5-42EF-A161-75AE221E4714.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Peaks View Post
    I appreciate the update. Hopefully they’re up and running in the near future because the OCD in me is freaking out. Like a dope I only ordered 50’ so had to rig my Thunderfly with both blue and red Glowire.CDF0B728-2AD5-42EF-A161-75AE221E4714.jpg
    OH,NO! How do you sleep at night with the lack of symmetry and consistency in color?

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'm moving on, I think they have too. This is playing out similar to OES tarps, excuses and delays. At least Lawson hasn't taken anybody's money for product we may or may not see.

Update on the other lines I and Countrybois have mentioned:

1.5 mm Poly/UHMWPE Reflective Cord is the most reflective of the 3, fairly stiff so it hopefully won't tangle too bad.

Sterling Rope 2.75 mm GloCord is serving in line for being reflective. Stiff and doesn't tangle in my limited usage so far. It's most likely going to be used for all my winter rigging needs. Almost too big in diameter....almost.

NAMA GEAR 1.9 uhmwpe reflective line isn't nearly as reflective as the other 2, I'm guessing due bring "resin enhanced"? Stiff and hasn't tangled thus far. I like it so far. Easy enough to work with, for me, when it's not too cold. This will be my new warm weather line.

<edit> for clarity/tl;dr

it sounds like the situation is getting critical, and this lawson needs to be taught a lesson.

i'd suggest a camp out (entirely peaceful, i hasten to add) in front of his production facility. it is important to use non-reflective guylines, and make sure as many of them as possible are in the way. i'm sure he'll get the picture after a few days of this, assuming some suitable media coverage.
    </edit>

uhhm. if i may, i'm a bit intrigued by this discussion. i've never used lawson rope (or any of their product for that matter), so i have, you might say, no strong bias either way. i'll tell you how it looks as an outsider, and i hope nobody takes offense.

it seems this is (originally) a small/cottage style vendor, who made a product which became immensely popular, for some reason. they produce it "in their own garage, just by the composting toilet" sort of thing. my impression hanging out on HF is that if one will as much as mutter "guylines" under their breath, or somehow implies they are talking about something to do with guylines in any indirect way, at least 3 people will say "lawson" in response. it is to the point that, as i mentioned before, i'm intrigued enough that i want to buy a piece and play with it, just so i know 1. what you're all on about and 2. (perhaps more importantly) what did they get so right for so many people, to make so many fans. cause, i like rope, and i wanna know.

i wouldn't recommend their product to anyone, i don't know it. but you all do keep on recommending it. if they got so popular, and they are braiding this stuff in their own facilities, the only way to keep up is to move shop. that's expensive, scary, and takes time. i imagine how much more scary it might be when your loyal customers are discussing "moving on" because you couldn't provide guyrope in quantity and the right color for a few weeks. don't get me wrong, i'm the worse impulse buying monkey, i know how you feel. but it sounds like you "love this guy", i'd consider giving him some slack, if not some support.

if i'd need guyrope for an outing this weekend, i'd buy whatever i find at the local hardware store/outdoors outfitters, and place a pre-order for my favourite glowire or something (even a "mental" preorder, for when it becomes available). and then write a post on here as to how the "cheap stuff" is inferior, or why i can't wait to get the "right stuff" in again.

just sayin'

cheers.
    Last edited by nanok; 03-29-2023 at 05:42. Reason: for "clarity"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As I *speculated* elsewhere, it might be that Lawson is going wholesale and perhaps getting out of retail altogether.

And as I also mentioned, I got a 100' hank of THIS from HammockGear and it is either A) actually Glowire or B) the most exact copy in the Known Universe. I'm going with A.

So if you crave your Glowire fix, get this stuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Still using ironwire as a ridgeline. (Just you know, “because”) i recently switched guylines to 1.5 Pariah reflective cord and lineloc V’s and liking them.

Perhaps I will be able to donate my old glowire to a fancy museum.

If somebody would like some well loved 2mm yellow glowire for cost of shipping and a beer drop me a line. 6 and 8ft ish lengths

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hopefully they spin up production again. His cordage was top notch. Bought a lot of Glowire and Ironwire hanks in my time hammock camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast