DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    One though that comes to mind is sewing to rectangles that when sewn together will give you the width hammock you want.
    When sewing the two sides together, leave an unsewn section for your arm. but you would probably need to curve that section so it will not squeeze your arm.

I deal with sleep apnea too, and it has worsened in recent years.
    The last group hang I went to recently, Yates Place in The Uwharries, NC, it woke me about 3am and was never able to go back to sleep.
    Another thing to consider is using an insulated, inflatable pad. I use one and it helps with aches and pains.

I am working on another idea, since the sleep apnea has increased at home and camping/ backpacking. And I can't afford the mini CPAP and battery that I could take backpacking.

I'll share it when I see how well it works.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I've been thinking about this arm-through-a-hole-in-the-hammock approach a bit more and can't get my head around one major issue: Insulation.

I think you might lose the effectiveness of a quilt because your hanging arm (even held up in some kind of pocket) would be creating an air gap. You couldn't use an air pad either, for obvious reasons (it would block off the hammock hole). You might be able to use a CCF pad and cut a hole in it for your arm and line up the pad and hammock holes, but I can't imagine that it would be very comfortable and any slip of the pad would pinch your arm like a cigar cutter.

I'm not sure how you would get around this additional challenge.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

I've been thinking along the lines @slowhike is thinking, mainly sewing to lengths of fabric together, but leaving a section unsewn. I suspect if the two edges are sewn evenly, the gap would pinch my arm, so the outer length of fabric would probably need to be puckered at the desired gap location to prevent this.

Insulation is certainly a concern, but no sense in worrying about that until I have success (or not).

Pete

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    This is off the wall, but maybe worth looking at. Fourteen years ago HF member, Mule, posted about his experiments making room for elbows or other body parts in a bridge hammock by using extra fabric length that he used for pleats, but keeping the side tendons the usual length. Here's his thread. Unfortunately, his video is no longer on Youtube, but his still pictures show the construction, as far as he took it.

Mule's an interesting guy - an experimenter, an early adopter, and, I gather, a mercurial personality. I'm grateful to him for his first posts on HF about Aarn Packs. He built a one-wheeled pack cart, among other things. What's interesting about the posts replying to this thread on the pleated bridge are the thoughts of Slowhike, TeeDee, Warbonnetguy, and GrizzlyAdams, among others*. That's a serious brain trust, and they took his idea seriously.

* Cannibal, Shug, Dutch, headchange4U, BillyBob58, SCLittlefield, HappyCamper, etc.
    Last edited by WV; 03-19-2023 at 20:28.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That was back in the good ol days, Dave (WV).
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

What is the name/model of the CPAP you used? How did you charge it? Dental devices scare me. I have read a lot of horror stories from people who totally messed up their jaws and teeth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12