Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using Trekking Poles for Bridge Hammock spacers

Hey everyone, I am looking for ways to use my trekking poles as a substitute for the spacer poles on my WB Ridgerunner. Warbonnet has sold out of the Hiking pole tip sets that they used to carry.

If anyone happens to have a set they would sell me, let me know!

Failing that I need some ideas about how to make something like that would work (without machining gear, lol)

I really love my Ridgerunner, but I'm trying to lighten my load as much as possible, and it would be really nice if I could ditch the spacer poles and make it work with trekking poles.

1477AA7E-248F-4380-8C3F-FA5B0E4C31F4.jpg
    Last edited by swinglow; 03-03-2023 at 11:24.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't have any beta on a solution like that, but have you considered buying the carbon fiber ones?
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

I don't see the carbon poles on the website. Are they a custom order? I'm assuming they would be a little pricey?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    They are aftermarket poles made by Ruta Locura (http://rutalocura.com/). I think you may have to email them asking about them specifically ([email protected]).
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ruta Locura is a vendor selling carbon fiber Ridge Runner pole replacements. At one time the price was just shy of $100.

Note that the geometry of the RR puts a lot of pressure on those poles - much more than a hiking pole would usually take (pole used mostly for balance and additional push to a step - not holding our full weight). Some, who have sought to shorten the recommended suspension end-to-end distance of the suspension dog bones, have broken the separator poles because the smaller triangle has put even more pressure on them. Yes, in their semi-collapsed state, the hiking poles are much stronger than when extended out 130 cm.

For transparency, I am not a fan of multi-purpose. I am a fan of appropriate redundancy on mission critical items. For example, if you use those hiking poles for the bridge, they won't be available for a day hike unless you remove them from the bridge. That allows the bridge to drop lower - maybe on the ground. And, if while using those poles while hiking, you lose your balance and maybe bend one, it won't be too happy with its "night job" as a bridge separator pole.

It's its the same reason I don't use my kayak paddles for anything other than paddling - rather than say a center pole for a teepee tent.

But your mileage may vary.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
    Hey everyone, I am looking for ways to use my trekking poles as a substitute for the spacer poles on my WB Ridgerunner. Warbonnet has sold out of the Hiking pole tip sets that they used to carry.

If anyone happens to have a set they would sell me, let me know!

Failing that I need some ideas about how to make something like that would work (without machining gear, lol)

I really love my Ridgerunner, but I'm trying to lighten my load as much as possible, and it would be really nice if I could ditch the spacer poles and make it work with trekking poles.

1477AA7E-248F-4380-8C3F-FA5B0E4C31F4.jpg
    Use our Pole Guardz along with 'monopod' style trekking poles.

https://www.namagear.com/product-page/pole-guardz

Mountainsmith makes one as does Cascade Mountain Tech. I think Black Diamond does as well, but they require an accessory to adapt the handle end.

https://cascademountaintech.com/prod...-fiber-monopod

https://mountainsmith.com/collection...rekker-fx-lite

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...wr-trek-poles/

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Countrybois - those look like they would work as a general "button" for spreader bars and well as hiking poles. Note that the spreader bars pins come in different sizes depending upon the source. The old and new RidgeRunner pole pins and the Ruta Locura pole pins will fit inside the .25 inch diameter, albeit loosely if that's an issue. But the pins on the poles RSBTR options with their DIY bridge Kit are 7mm in diameter - just outside your .25 inch spec.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Countrybois - those look like they would work as a general "button" for spreader bars and well as hiking poles. Note that the spreader bars pins come in different sizes depending upon the source. The old and new RidgeRunner pole pins and the Ruta Locura pole pins will fit inside the .25 inch diameter, albeit loosely if that's an issue. But the pins on the poles RSBTR options with their DIY bridge Kit are 7mm in diameter - just outside your .25 inch spec.
    You are correct. They will not work on the 7mm poles. I believe those are the same ones that Bill uses on the Towns End hammocks as well.

They do work exceptionally well for trekking poles which is what the OP was asking about.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Countrybois, the Cascade poles with your Pole-guardz look perfect - too good to be true, in fact, and the potential problem is the poles, not the Pole-guardz. CascadeMountainTech does not list a weight for those poles. I hope they're heavy, because then they might be strong enough to live up to their one over-the-top review. Also, there's the price. I've heard you can have any two of (1) light (2) cheap (3) strong. If these poles do, indeed, deliver the last two, then they may be a really good buy, especially when paired with Pole-guardz. If the poles are a couple of ounces heavier than some others, but still let you leave heavy spreader bars at home, they're wonderful. I see you show this combination in your photos. What's your take? (Pretend I weigh 250, instead of 140. I'd buy these to give to a friend with a PBH.)

Two other niggling doubts: (1) Do you suggest flip-locks or twist locks? The greater forces on a pole when used as a spreader have inspired TeeDee, Grizz, and others to reinforce the poles to keep them from collapsing. I avoided putting dowels in my Pacer Poles by adding Black Diamond Flip Locks to supplement the twist locks. YMMV.
    (2) Your third photo shows the short hard rubber section of the pole tip. That rubber bends under big pressure, and the suspension triangle can turn into a catapult. I put a 3" aluminum sleeve on mine, but I could get away without that (and do, mostly, because of my weight) by entering and exiting only on the side away from the pole tips. The Pacer Pole handles wouldn't work with Pole-guardz, of course. (They do work with my hands.) I use Grizz's strap configuration to attach the handles to my suspension.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Ok. Let me try to answer as best I can. Remember these are MY findings and opinions. YMMV

The Cascade Mountain Tech Monopods come in just over 8oz. per pole, so just over a pound for the set. They are carbon fiber poles. I go about 180lbs. One of my sons is 6'3" and 210. He uses the Mountainsmith poles for no other reason than he wanted to try something different. Neither of us has had any issues/failures. I have well over 30 nights on this system. The only times they have 'let me down' is when I didn't check that the flick lock was adjusted tight enough..... scares ya, but only lets you down to the point that the pole is fully collapsed.

1a) I prefer flip locks. No other reason than they have never failed me. I have not tried twist locks, but others have said they are more prone to fail. I have no experience with that.

1b) I don't necessarily think there is more force applied to the poles when used as spreader bars. If you have ever had to use them to catch yourself in the midst of a fall, there is a significant increase in force applied over and above your body weight and often at an odd angle. In spreader bar configuration, force is pretty steady and inline with the centerline of the pole. As with all spreader bars, I would not pull on the bar when it is loaded. My opinion, they are stronger than spreader bar poles. No need to reinforce.

2) The pole tips are a rigid plastic not hard rubber. Maybe that is a fine line difference..IDK. Regardless I do believe the pole would snap before a tip could possibly bend.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Countrybois; 03-05-2023 at 10:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast