Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images

Nikwax down proofing

Hello everyone...

Dumb question perhaps - but wondering....

Some gear uses hydrophobic down

others do not

I'm wondering if this https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/product...ng/down-proof/ would be something to consider.

I worry that if you use it with something like down quilt or even and SG hammock would you be reducing the insulation capability, kill the loft, ruin your gear.

What say you all?

Thanks in advance for any responses...

Cag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here's an interesting thread on BPL with links to a lot of info. I personally don't see the point.

What happened to "water resistant" treated down? - Backpacking Light
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    Thank you, Ice!

HOLEE CRAP that is one rabbit hole I just fell in. Seems like the real answer may be... meh I just remember my scouting days as a 13 year old getting rained out in a cheap pup tent and a Sears and Roebuck red checkered flannel sleeping bag freezing and hating the trip.

Now, after getting rained on under the SG tarp (which prompted the question) and staying bone dry, it appears so long as I make a good weather pitch, I dont think I have to worry about this. I was just wondering if it adds anything... again; Maybe? Meh....
    Last edited by Cagouillard; 03-02-2023 at 18:39. Reason: read a good bit of the linked discussion

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    EARLY on some vendors were using treated down, but for whatever reasons, they mostly went back to untreated down.
    Was it too expensive, were the benefits nebulous? Were there other problems?
    I dunno
    I believe in wisdom of the herd, as long as we are not stampeded into group think.

I have quilts from two fabulous cottage vendors. The down is not treated with a water repellent or anything. My quilts keep me toasty!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    We jumped on the DWR band wagon pretty early, maybe 2014 or so, the following is from our website:

Although we have offered hydrophobic treated down in the past, we have weighed the benefits vs. drawbacks carefully, and have recently stopped offering WR down. The benefits, which are marginal at best in real world scenarios, are offset by lower loft, intra laundering clumping, and the need for more down to offset the lower lofting and possible clumping. Effective April 11, 2016, we will no longer use hydrophobic down in our products.

Cost was never a consideration as the difference per pound was at that time $2-$3, not going to make a difference in terms of product costs. Other vendors have either never offered DWR down, have offered it and discontinued it, offer both types, or offer DWR exclusively.

As for the OP's original question I read the description of the product and it sounds interesting but would not be able to comment one way or another about it's effective use.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    We treated a couple of jackets and I don't know about the down but the jackets are definately not raincoats by any means. We used the Nickwax product for down items be quilts or jackets so I don't know if the down is waterproof or not but it didn't go flat.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    This subject comes up every few months around here. In my mind there are 3 opinions on the subject. Yes to treated down. No to treated down. And then there’s me and others who would say either who cares? Or why not, it can’t hurt. To the op’s question, just my opinion but If it were me and I was looking to waterproof an existing product I would probably focus more on a fabric DWR treatment as opposed to treating the down. As far as manufacturers go and their use of treated down, most all of the vendors most talked about on this forum all use treated down in various levels of their quilts. Ugq seems to be the outlier. I most definitely would not hesitate to buy a quilt from Paul at UGQ though. Like I said I’m in the who cares but why not camp. Treated down has been out for a very long time. When doing research always look at the dates of the posts. People have been stating that manufacturers are getting away from treated down for years. It’s still here and maybe more prevalent than ever. Bottom line… keep it dry. When you get home air it out. Keep it clean, most people will never have to wash there sleep systems. I will add , if I for sure was going to be in a situation where my down was going to get wet there is no question which down I would want.
    kris

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    We did a bunch of testing on Hydrophic down over the years the most noticeable difference I saw was when I washed four quilts at the end of the season. Three of the quilts had hydrophobic down and one did not.

The three quilts that had hydrophobic down dried in two dryer cycles and needed nothing extra (no plucking clumps apart, tennis balls, or other objects added.)

The one non-treated quilt took four cycles and I stopped and picked the clumps apart a few times.

In the field, I never noticed my treated quilts performing differently from my non-treated quilts in terms of loft.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts