Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Round or square hammock posts

Hi All,

I am planning on digging and cementing in 2 posts on a diagonal in a small corner of the garden to allow me to hammock year round. I'm pretty comfortable with how deep to dig and how to use the pre-packaged cement mix etc. to secure, however I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on post selection.

I have 2 main questions:

1) square vs round? I would refer round posts as I use tree straps and feel they may sit better. I am worried they may slip from a square post but have no first hand experience. Is this a needless worry?

2) Strength? Logistically finding a square 6x6 inch, 8 foot post is much easier to source and will be stronger then the largest round post I could find (so far) which is 4 inches in diameter and 12 foot long - meaning I'd likely cut it to a 8ft length and sink it 2.5 or 3 foot deep.

If you were doing the job what posts would you use? Open to all advice and comments.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Round posts better for straps.
    I use 15 foot straps, and when trees are small enough around, I wrap straps around tree twice, in a round turn. I know most hammock campers wrap strap around tree only once. But a round turn gives a better grip on tree. Straps slipping is very rare, therefore I’m guilty of overkill.

If you have skinny posts that can be bent inwards or snapped due to hammock load from a larger camper or two to three people all jumping in hammock, here is a good crutch.
    Only if poles are tall enough, extending out of ground, you can attach a horizontal ridge pole spanning between both vertical posts.

A couple of thoughts:

At LEAST a third of the post should be in the soil, more would be better with the side load a hammock exerts. If you connect the tops posts with a rail as PG mentions, 4" round should be just fine and 1/3 in the ground would be adequate. Posts set in concrete rot a LOT faster! Better to pack around the posts with gravel. You might even consider sinking plastic pipe in the soil, sized to be a snug fit around the wooden posts. That makes things removable and replaceable. Drill some holes in the plastic for drainage.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    kikidee27 - try to imagine this ... you have a knob, dowel, something at the top of your post (that you can reach) and you put a loop at the end of your suspension strap on that. Then you let the line drop down parallel with the post. Hold the line at the height you want and wrap the tail around the post, bringing it between the line coming down and the post. I'm sorry I don't have photo. It's sort of a half hitch on a post. it will hold the suspension line at your desired height. Maybe you'd want to drill a quarter inch hole in the middle of the top of the post and put a small length of re-bar in it - something strong for that top anchor.

I used the "suspension height adjustment" method I tried to describe above on a pipe stand I made. But that was all galvanized steel.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've ruined a strap on a square post by not paying attention to where the stress was being focused. The landing was soft (on my fat butt) but I learned my lesson. Round posts for me - given a choice - because the strap stress is spread out better.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Buy what's readily available. You mentioned you'll be cutting the posts to length. Why not run that same saw down the length of the post, set to at least a 30° angle, cutting off the sharp corners. You're essentially making a square post an octagon. You don't need to take much off, on the square posts I hang from I took a block plane to ease the corners slightly in the spots I put my straps. Haven't had an issue.

Thanks everyone. I'm handy enough to give it a go but anything like mounting a cross support beam or cutting square posts to octagon is way beyond my skill level.
    I've since been able to source 150mm diameter round posts in 2.1m lengths, so as close to 6 inches by 7 feet as seems to exist here in Ireland. I've also been told they are "strainer" posts so stronger than average so fingers crossed it all works out.
    Hoping to sink 1/3 into the ground and will take on board and look for a heat shrink plastic wrapping /post saver for the in ground parts.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have 6x6x12' square post. 3 1/2 to 4' in the ground, w/ cyclone fence on top. I don't use straps, I have several 3/8 eye lag screws in each for different hammocks or hot tent I decide to use. Been using this system year round for 5 years with no problems.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    kikidee27 - I hope you revisit the ideal of putting a supporting piece (of something) at the top of your posts - spanning the distance between them. The campground were I stay on SaltSpring Island has posts for hammocks. Though they are buried deep, there is still an unnerving "give" when you get into the hammock. I'm not saying your ⅓ buried posts will come out. It just that they will feel more solid if you can put a pole, or some piece of wood between them at the top.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-04-2023 at 13:47.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

One more thought:

Go square and attach some hardware for hanging. No need to be wrapping straps...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast