DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    What this thread has made me think of is one unmet need I have, which is to (a) know how to tie the most useful knots in hammocking, and (b) what the best applications of those knots are. Phantom Grappler is always teaching me knots at pretty much every hang I see him at, but I suppose I haven't bothered practicing them enough to know how to tie them, likely because I don't know all the uses of the knots in hammocking. Someone should do a video series on YouTube for this.
    The main knots I know and use are:

• Truckers hitch for the tarp ridgline.
    • Slipknot is useful as a stopper knot. I usually will tie this to finish the truckers hitch.
    • Prusik knots if you want to use a CRL. I hate prusiks because they tend to jam up and need to be retied, but they are handy for adjusting your tarp along the ridgeline. I still have them on my DW CRL that I still have rigged up, but that's on a loaner tarp and I've been lazy about swapping it out to split ridgelines.
    • Figure eight, double overhand loop or bowline knot for one end of the tarp guyline. The guyline is larksheaded onto the tarp tieout. Easy to switch out if the line gets damaged or you want to swap for longer/shorter guylines. You can also use this if you go with split ridgelines for your tarp to attach the ridgelines to the ridgeline d-rings. These loops won't tighten when under load.
    • Marlin spike hitch for guylines to stakes. I used to use a tautline hitch since it was adjustable but with low stretch silpoly or no stretch dyneema tarps you don't really need to adjust it once you set your guylines. If you do, just pull up the stake, pull it for more tension, and reset the stake. If you use whoopies, the msh is really handy as well for your hammock. Like Shug says: hang your sling on the knot, not the toggle.
    • Clove hitch (the msh works too) for the stick/toggle when using a PCT hang for hanging the food bag. Now that I think about it, I just use the msh for the toggle.

The only knot that I really have to tie when I'm out is the marlin spike hitch. I swapped out the the truckers hitch with DW stingerz clipped on to my tarp ridgeline d-rings. Everything else is already tied and attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I'm kind of partial to NAMA Claws as well. v2 is coming soon and, along with it, a closed-loop version for those of you that like to leave your ridgeline attached.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    We're waiting...

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    We're waiting...
    They are coming! I should be okaying the final prototype on Monday.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    Thanks FLTurtle. So as a knot geek myself... Have you ever tried a clove hitch?
    I use a clove hitch at the stake, very quick loop method to tie, but I use shepherd hook stakes for which it works well, as it does with any other round stakes. If you use some of the V (DAC) or Y (Ground Hog) shaped stakes, MSH works better.

Except for the clove hitch, here is a video showing the few other knots I use for hammocking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbcMPULvtzY

You mentioned upthread that you're getting more into backpacking so you might be interested in the Ultra Lite Gear forum which has a good bit of information and ideas on how to lighten your pack, even if you don't intend to go "Full Monty" bling-free minimalist UL.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    Hey Fellow Hangars, so after watching all my favorite youtubers and reading countless posts on here about the Superior Gear Superior Hammock I finally broke down and spent the money to upgrade some of my system. I posted a few weeks ago about the blemish sale and that was the inspiration or fear of missing out that started my purchases. I was able to get a blemished 30 degree hammock and based off of what I saw I can't find the blemish anywhere.

I was in an ENO doublenest since 2015 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably like most of you I found hammock camping kind of on my own out of a want to get off the ground and not to lug around a 20 lb cot. Other than the jungle hammocks, I never saw anyone else try it and was the first one in my area to hammock camp. Through trial and error I figured out my set up and then I started watching everyone else on youtube and then heard about this forum.

While the new hammock was amazing, it did take a few minutes and I mean minutes to get used to the new system. The suspension on the other hand took seconds to appreciate. Going from the daisy chain suspension to the Superior Suspension was mind blowing. I saw and read how easy it was, but there is just nothing like trying it yourself to appreciate it. If you are still using a daisy chain suspension I implore you to try out either the Superior Suspension or Dutch's Beetle Buckle. I am pretty sure it is lighter weight, I know my straps are much longer and sooo much more flexible. My daughter just kept saying how unfair it was that I didn't buy her new suspension yet.

So now that I have the hammock it is time to rethink my top quilt or sleeping bag, tarp, and even some of my other camping gear.

What are some of the items that you've changed over the years and why?
    Do you have one of the newer zippered models? If so, I suggest their snap on 40 or 50 degree TQ to be used with a 2nd TQ when it is colder than that. I don't have one yet, but I probably will be getting a set: zippered insulated UQ + snap on TQ. As far as regular TQs, I find the SG 30F TQ to be excellent, as well as my JRB colder rated and wearable TQ. Love my 30º SG insulated hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    First Big change for me was going to a bridge. I spent years trying to get comfortable in a gathered end and just never got a good night's sleep. My second biggest change was carrying a good camp pillow to get a good night's rest.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    First Big change for me was going to a bridge. I spent years trying to get comfortable in a gathered end and just never got a good night's sleep. My second biggest change was carrying a good camp pillow to get a good night's rest.
    I wonder if you had a 12x6 gathered end hammock.
    I’ve found my 12x6 hammock to be my most comfortable hammock, but I’ve never slept in a bridge hammock. Little or no CRP Calf Ridge Pressure.
    Your bridge hammock probably has zero CRP
    And zero knees hyperextension
    And maybe little or no air gaps between hammock and under quilt.

Great, you found hammock nirvana!

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    During the summer I tend to go with a school backpack sized pack. I've got some of the summer gear really down light weight mostly because of this super small sleeping bag I found, but winter gear was somewhat lacking. I actually just went out during 0 degree wind chills and loved the superior gear hammock. I used a 40 degree topquilt and my old giant synthetic sleeping bag, but I was warm.

Thanks for the suggestion to the Ultra Lite Gear forum - I will be checking it out.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    The main knots I know and use are:

• Truckers hitch for the tarp ridgline.
    • Slipknot is useful as a stopper knot. I usually will tie this to finish the truckers hitch.
    • Prusik knots if you want to use a CRL. I hate prusiks because they tend to jam up and need to be retied, but they are handy for adjusting your tarp along the ridgeline. I still have them on my DW CRL that I still have rigged up, but that's on a loaner tarp and I've been lazy about swapping it out to split ridgelines.
    • Figure eight, double overhand loop or bowline knot for one end of the tarp guyline. The guyline is larksheaded onto the tarp tieout. Easy to switch out if the line gets damaged or you want to swap for longer/shorter guylines. You can also use this if you go with split ridgelines for your tarp to attach the ridgelines to the ridgeline d-rings. These loops won't tighten when under load.
    • Marlin spike hitch for guylines to stakes. I used to use a tautline hitch since it was adjustable but with low stretch silpoly or no stretch dyneema tarps you don't really need to adjust it once you set your guylines. If you do, just pull up the stake, pull it for more tension, and reset the stake. If you use whoopies, the msh is really handy as well for your hammock. Like Shug says: hang your sling on the knot, not the toggle.
    • Clove hitch (the msh works too) for the stick/toggle when using a PCT hang for hanging the food bag. Now that I think about it, I just use the msh for the toggle.

The only knot that I really have to tie when I'm out is the marlin spike hitch. I swapped out the the truckers hitch with DW stingerz clipped on to my tarp ridgeline d-rings. Everything else is already tied and attached.
    Same for me, except to add the Becket Hitch for my hammock. I just received my DW Stingerz to replace the Trucker's hitch for my tarp ridgeline. Tested them out this weekend, and I'm still not sure if I like them: the Lash-It seems to bind-up, making it hard to undo the bite. Had to wrap the Lash-It around a toggle to get enough grip to pop it out. Most likely just user error.
    “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I had that issue when I first started using the wasp. After a bit the lash-it softened up and I haven't had that problem unless the wind has been strong all night, then it might stick a bit but nothing like how it wanted to jam up in the begining.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast