Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You can likely use either, although it may depend on the line size. I use the Dutch Fleaz for my tarp tie outs. I also spliced some shock cord inside my Zing-It line as an "internal tarp tensioner". Here's a video: https://youtu.be/dVVpA_AJb5M
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Amazing video!!
    Thank you so much

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    I received my orders from Dutch and Namagear and have now made a continuous ridgeline with a great line from Nama and the Dutch Wasp, then using some line that is similar to zingit I made little prusik knots to connect to the tarp using the little hooks from Nama.

So here's my next question for the tarp tie outs (not to the continuous ridgeline) I tried a taughtline hitch and the line is so slippery it is just not feasible. So the question is what is best for some more gear, do I utilize the hookworm or fleas with that slippery line? Also I did utilize some bungeeish line that I found at a local small business and will be using that as well. The Bungee appears to work pretty well the way I have it tied.
    I used to use DW hookworms on 8' of Zing it attached to my stakes (threaded through the pull line hole) and some shock cord loops on the tarp. I've since switched to just having 8' lines on the tarp tie outs and use a marlin spike hitch with the stakes.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Thanks FLTurtle. So as a knot geek myself... Have you ever tried a clove hitch?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    More NAMA Claws! They work awesome for tieouts as well.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Mine vary from tarp to tarp — one tarp has linelocs on the corners, so I run the line out to the stakes through that. Other tarps have cordage that will take a taut line. All of them have lengths of shock cord tied in as tensioners (learned from a Shug video). For my son’s new tarp, I put shock cord loops on the corners larks-headed to linelocs, running the line from there (an easy solution when they don’t have them sewn on). I may shift to that approach with some of my other tarps. I’ll let him test to see how well it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I've tried a bunch of different things over the years - I suspect you will too

I'm personally using Tarp Flyz on my tarp - I like having two pieces, or more specifically two independent attachment points for flexibility. Like @FLTurtle, I always found the Wasp in the wrong place when I was setting up and needed to fiddle when setting up by moving the wasp, then sliding my tarp, then needing to adjust again, etc. I picked up some Nama Claws for another project that I may try, and also the Tac Toggles from MyersTech that I'm needing to get around to trying too.
    I'm a tinkerer, so I do not mind trying different things. As I said, I'm currently using Tarp Flyz - one at each end of my SuperFly tarp. They pretty much stay in the same spot at this point since I have enough ZingIt to almost always reach back to them.
    I made a ridgeline to connect the two rings on my tarp together so that even if I crank the split ridgeline Zingit tight, it does not pull the tarp itself. The ridgeline I made is actually a whoopie made from ZingIt, in case I want to shorten or lengthen the ridgeline for whatever reason. Plus as I was making it I didn't want the ridgeline to be an inch or two too long or short, so the whoopie gave me some leeway in measurements or miscalculations in ZingIt needed for the fixed brummels.

Anyway - for tie outs, I'm using Line Lock Hooks from Dutch with some ZingIt and shock cord. Like @FLTurtle again, I have them tied using external tensioners like in this video. That is attached to the D-rings on my tarp with the free hanging end having the Line Lock on it (with a barrel stopper knot to avoid losing anything). My stakes have that small loop of paracord on them that most come with so when I deploy the tarp from my single snakeskin, the tie outs just drop out and I hook the Line Lock to the stake's loop and pull tight. I've not had them in super high winds, which might be the only place I would worry about them slipping. 10-15mph winds so far, and I imaging I could do a half hitch if I was worried about them slipping.

So that's what is working for me for my tarp currently. I've tried the Hook Worms from Dutch as well. They worked well, but if I wanted to fiddle that much I was only another turn or so from tying a knot anyway
    I will second or third the tarp door suggestion - I like them for wind blocking since they allow me to not be as critical on placement in relation to the wind. Even if I'm setting up in a wind-tunnel direction where the wind flows in one end straight through to the other, I can close the doors and reduce the convective heat loss. I'm still working through some methods to manage the doors though. Just means I need to go camping more to try things out!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    Thanks FLTurtle. So as a knot geek myself... Have you ever tried a clove hitch?
    Yeah, for hanging my bear bag...clove hitch on the stick.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What this thread has made me think of is one unmet need I have, which is to (a) know how to tie the most useful knots in hammocking, and (b) what the best applications of those knots are. Phantom Grappler is always teaching me knots at pretty much every hang I see him at, but I suppose I haven't bothered practicing them enough to know how to tie them, likely because I don't know all the uses of the knots in hammocking. Someone should do a video series on YouTube for this.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    That is a great idea, I know I've seen Shug's videos doing knots and I think the Marine has some too. They go in pretty good detail with the knots that they use.

When I was a scout long ago, we would do knot relays (alot) and I got pretty good at tying the basics Square Knot, Taught Line, Two Half Hitches, Bowline, Clove Hitch, Timber Hitch, Figure 8, sheet bend, sheep shank, trilene knot, palomar. As an adult they have been super helpful and I've picked up a few more that I'm not as great at, but I practice - trucker hitch, prusik, and double figure eight. They all have their uses and those earlier ones were beat into my head so many times that I'll never forget them.

As an adult I met a true knot geek while taking the kids to a summer camp. This young man was writing a book on knots.. can't say I ever got to that level with it. Anyway, yes I think that is a great idea.

For me the hardware is just for fun, but I'm enjoying thinking through this process and it will definitely make take down a little easier when it is cold out and I don't want to untie everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast