Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images

Question about underquilts and asymetrical hammocks

I recently purchased my 1st asym hammock and slept in it last night. What's the secret to getting the UQ positioned correctly? I pulled the primary suspension all the way up to the quilt hook on the foot side and the quilt still kept sliding out from under my feet in the middle of the night. I have 2 different UQ, a JRB Mt Washington 3 and a Hammock Gear Econ 30. In this instance I was using the Hammock Gear quilt. Should I cinch it up past the quilt hook? On the Mt Washington, which I haven't used with it yet, it has a loop on the opposite side of where my feet are so I'm thinking maybe a dogbone if I have the same issue with it?
    I thought there may be a little more fiddle factor with the asym hammock but it sure is comfortable.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try to bias your suspension. You can see at 2:30 in the video below. It helps a lot.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Thanks Shug

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When I first started reading about this, the goal seemed to be to cinch everything up tight. And most UQ's had two adjustments; the main suspension and a cinch at the ends. HG's UQ's had three adjustments; the two previously mentioned, and a third to provide lift at the UQ's ends. Third party solutions appeared for the "two suspensions" designs; triangle thingies for example. And there were articles about adding end lift by connecting a line to the sides of the hammock (near the end), after running it over the ridgeline.

About the same time, some found their UQ fit the diagonal lie better if the end cinch was loosened. if we were perfectly parallel to the hammock centerline, it made sense to cinch those ends up tight. But we aren't. We are at a diagonal. If the ends are tight, that push out near the head/foot end can create a gap. So the trend switched to having the end cinch loose so the UQ could more easily conform to the body position. But you might still need supplementary lift - either with the HG third suspension (in addition to main suspension and end cinch), or other style.

One important aspect is if the UQ has a differential cut - meaning the bottom of the UQ is cut fuller than the top. That way, you can pull the UQ up snug with the hammock bottom and not compress the down loft. In one of his videos, Shug suggests the main UQ suspension be so tight that it will lift the hammock when you are not in it. That guarantees you won't have a gap directly under you. And if the end cinch is loose, the UQ will conform to whatever shape you have at the ends because of your diagonal lie. Whether you need additional lift, a la HG's secondary suspension or other design, is and exercise for the student.

If you have a friend who will lie in the hammock - tough job but someone has to do it - you can walk around the hammock and check the fit. If the UQ would benefit from more lift support at the ends, and you provide it my just lifting up the end a bit yourself, I'm guessing the person in the hammock would quickly tell the difference.

If I had one hammock and one UQ, I'd spend some time setting them up just right and be done with it. But I am often switching out hammocks and UQ's. And I don't have a "third party" to assist with experiments. So I use an UQP (under quilt protector) because its addition means I can be a little sloppy with the end fit. Not that I want to be; but I haven't found a way to be in the hammock, and outside checking the fit, at the same time.

I considered placing a phone on video by the end so I could see what was going on once I positioned in the hammock. But this fit is more a feel than a visual. It might look sealed up and still benefit from a little more end lift.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-26-2023 at 20:01.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I have been doing the same exercise with my asymmetrical Warbonnet Eldorado and a HG 0F UQ. I made a couple videos to see what the ends looked like with me laying in the hammock. Check out my thrilling escapades if you want: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...on-WB-Eldorado

In my case, tightening the main suspension on the Incubator helped, and an asymmetrical tightening/loosening of the secondary suspension on the foot end helped quite a bit. I ended up making two loops around the foot end whipping with the primary suspension to tighten it up sufficiently; to make it more permanent, I tied a few more knots in the primary foot end suspension where it connects to the s-biner.

• + New Posts