Images

Whipping ends and calf ridge

Hello,
    I wanted to hear opinions on various options on whipping the ends of a gathered end hammock and their relationship to eliminating calf ridge. I have continuous loops run through the ends and both go through a carabiner along with the ridge line. My thoughts were that this will let the fabric move however it wants to. I changed it from the continuous loops passing through one another and then cinches tight by the weight of you laying in it

What is the consensus?

Thanks, J

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have one hammock that doesn't use whipped ends. I set it up that way as an act of faith after reading some text said the triple stitching at the channel was stronger than the fabric itself. But I still don't believe it and cringe at every sound of a "stretch",

When I say, "Whipped ends" I mean I have Amsteel through the end channel, then I half hitch it behind the knob (maybe more than once), and often feed it out the hole created by the surrounding channel. But the main idea is, the Amsteel cinching grabs the fabric. So the suspension force is transferred more directly there and not on the stitching.

The next time I experiment with letting the end channel stitching do the work, I might put a small diameter PVC section in the channel and connect a continuous loop to that. That would allow even more "spread" than just the loop itself. But I probably won't experiment because the basic half hitch cinch behind the knob works for me.

So far, playing with the sag, the diagonal lie angle, and using a knee pillow, has removed any calf ridge problem that might appear.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Nothing to do with end whipping but in regards to the calf ridge. I've used whoopie ridge lines on several GE hammocks to achieve a longer ridge line, shallower angle off the long axis, and less calf ridge. I use whoopies so that I can shorten to near OEM if I need to use a OEM bug screen or top cover. The same effect can be achieved by a longer ridge line and wraps around a carabiner to shorten to the sweet spot or OEM. Sure it probably violates all the cardinal rules of the angle of the dangle, but it works for me. I've considered a knee pillow to be the mark of a poorly designed hammock, but I too have resorted to using one following knee surgery or at home using my hammock for a video watching couch. But then I usually also have incorporated some other pillows for elevated back positions for seating variety and such like. Heck, I even sit crosswise and swing back and forth with the pillows to provide back and under the knee support and comfort.

Images
    My set is pretty good and I don't have any calf ridge issues just looking to see what works that may be "outside" the box. I don't have any personal experience but I've heard the way the ends are lets say finished, does affect calf ridge or lack of. Simply Light Designs makes a mention of it on his site. If you look at Jared's Trail Lair, suspension options, you can choose either sewn in continuous ridgelines or non sewn. Its stated that the sewn one doesn't bunch the fabric as much and helps with calf ridge. There must be something to it or I doubt he would mention it. I was thinking that someone could finish the ends like how a bridge hammock is cut on the sides, it would pull the center more than the ends, or vice versa depending on what you wanted. I wonder if someone has tried that ?Thanks, this good stuffJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hang on! View Post
    I was thinking that someone could finish the ends like how a bridge hammock is cut on the sides, it would pull the center more than the ends, or vice versa depending on what you wanted.
    Look into the SLD Streamliner.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    Look into the SLD Streamliner.
    You are 100% correct, that's what I was thinking, but apparently Jared had already thought of it! If I can sell a couple hammocks I already have I will definitely get one

Thanks
    “A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.”
    Doctor Who

• + New Posts