Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Converting HG Incubator to children's TQ

I needed a dedicated quilt for my daughter (currently 4 yo), but didn't like any of the commercially available options so decided to DIY with the underquilt I don't take backpacking anyways.

The build is simple: (2) sets of 28" zippers sewn to 1.5" polyester ribbon and then sewn to the edges of the UQ with about an inch between the zippers at the bottom of the quilt and those towards the middle to allow for the bottom zipper to connect to the top zipper. Some more ribbon is used for snaps to help secure the zippers as well as provide some adjustability on length.

This setup allows for 3 main configurations (pictures taken next to regular Burrow for comparison):
    1) "square" sleeping bag - easiest in and out, roomy for squirmy toddlers. Potentially draftier and more space for her to have to heat up. ~50" long in this configuration

2) mini-quilt - by folding the bottom of the quilt over and then zipping the upper zippers, you're able to create an adjustable length (thanks to snaps) quilt as the kid gets bigger. Downside is only the upper 22" are open backed so can be a little difficult for the kid to wiggle into position and can be a bit narrow for tossing and turning.

3) narrow top quilt - once she outgrows the other two configurations, then just zip up the lower zippers and it acts like a normal top quilt albeit a bit narrower. I'm probably going to add some snaps later on to be able to adjust the length in this configuration too.

Using a normal ground pad attachment kit for sleeping in tents as she's a bit too tossy turny to trust overnight in a hammock for now, but the width will work really well for quite a while when that time comes for her own hammock.
    Last edited by Hang Williams; 02-23-2023 at 21:42.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I think that's fantastic! What a lucky girl.

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    This is great!

>she's a bit too tossy turny to trust overnight in a hammock for now
    Don't underestimate her. 4 years old (and even earlier) is a perfect age to start hammock camping with kids even when they are tossy-turny. Just give her a large hammock (I use 11' hammocks for kids), it makes falling out of the hammock almost impossible, but make sure ground under the hammock is safe anyway. Big enough underquilt to cover all possible tossy-turny sleeping positions, and either a children sized sleeping bag (it helped me to keep my tossy-turny daughter inside) or whatever you have (quilt, sleeping bag), but large enough to cover all possible tossy-turny sleeping positions and she'll be fine.

Tested on my 2 kids, soon will tested on 3rd one.

• + New Posts