Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Superior Gear clone

I like the concept of the Superior Gear insulated hammock for winter camping. However, I do not have the funds to purchase one so I would like to try to make one. I have made most of my gear up to this point so think I have the ability to do it. Before I make my own quilt though I would like to try to see if I can simply attach my current Hammock Gear quilt to a layer of Argon and sew that to my existing hammock. I know my Incubator is not the same width as Superior Gear (44" vs what looks to be about 54") but figured I could angle it a little to match my lay. This then made me realize I would basically be making a WB Wookie. Having never seen either a Superior Gear or a WB Wookie I am hoping I can get some information from the group. Is the only difference between the two that the Superior Gear has both layers sewn together and the Wookie does not? Is there anything else I am missing? I know Superior Gear is much more modular, but for the basic setup I'm thinking I could make a relatively cheap version to at least see if I like the concept.
    I was planning on removing the bungie cord from my Incubator and laying it out on the Argon and then just sewing it down. I would then sew both the top layer hammock (hexon 1.2) to the Argon layer (Argon 90). Does anyone have any reason this wouldn't work? Feel free to let me know if you think I'm biting off more than I can chew. You won't hurt my feelings.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Might be simpler to just add zippers to the sides and leave the end tensioning shock cords. Then just zip the quilt in place, adjust the ends and done. Similar to the most recent offering from Dutchware

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Might be simpler to just add zippers to the sides and leave the end tensioning shock cords. Then just zip the quilt in place, adjust the ends and done. Similar to the most recent offering from Dutchware

Brian
    You are correct, that would certainly be the simplest route. On my last trip I clipped the sides of my quilt to my hammock, but still had issues. After years of working with underquilts I have yet to be able to get a good seal on the ends. I've gone down to 3 degrees F overnight and not frozen, but not been comfortable either. I have never been able to eliminate the CBS. I've had several other hammockers inspect things while I was in the hammock and they found no noticeable gaps yet I still get cold on my back. The only think I can figure at this point is there is just enough air getting down the ends among all the wrinkles of the hammock. I'm hoping by sealing the ends I can remove that variable completely.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    My theory is that the butt area distorts the quilt in that section, if the temp is really going down, I will put my thin seat foam there and it stays warm. I think it spreads the weight and the bottom doesn't distort so much.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I agree with cruiser that sometimes your butt is just going to be the lowest point on the underquilt. If I am pushing the limits of an underquilt, I carry a small piece of reflectix to slide under my butt. I never even think about it being there (other than my butt being warm). My $.02.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post

Brian
    I wouldn’t think there would be anything simple about that. Attaching a stock quilt to the edges of the hammock with a zipper would surely be a recipe for lots of gaps. To me… the simplest would be to set it up per usual. Get it fitting nice and have someone else pin it to the hammock and then sew on. That way you can also manipulate it and pull it tighter as you pin to remove any gaps. just my opinion. And yes … I realize dutches/ jrb offering is zippered but I’m sure it’s not just a standard shaped underquilt zippered on.
    kris

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are you not happy with your UQ set-up now??
    May be easier to just shoot to get a proper set-up on the UQ with current hammock.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Are you not happy with your UQ set-up now??
    May be easier to just shoot to get a proper set-up on the UQ with current hammock.

Shug

I truly appreciate everyone's input. To answer your question Shug, I struggle with getting the proper UQ fit. I've tried tighter, looser, asymmetrical, symmetrical, bungie cord over the ridge line, clipping the long sides of the quilt to the hammock, using an underquilt protector and countless other adjustments. I have always had very inconsistent results, even with having someone checking the fit while I'm in it. I have watched all your videos (and am truly grateful for all the helpful information you provide), but I toss and turn a lot so I think I just end up pushing/pulling things and allowing just enough air in the little gaps for me to feel it. When it's above freezing it's not a big deal, but as you very well know even the smallest gap when it's near 0 degrees can be felt. I'm trying to eliminate the CBS feeling. Currently I often go to bed feeling fine but wake up a few hours later with a chill along my back and have to put a wool sweater or some other layer under me to get warm again. This works fine...until I start tossing and turning and then it moves and I get cold again.
    I think my first attempt will be simply getting in the hammock and pinning the underquilt to it as Kmazuro suggested. If I can seal the gaps this way then I can transfer it to a thin layer of Argon under my hammock. I will probably just clip the sides of the two layers together for now as my main problem (I think) is the ends.
    As frustrating as this is, I still love hammocking (I've been sleeping in hammocks for at least 30 years). For me; a large part of the appeal is creating my own gear and tweaking things exactly as I like them. I just wish I could get a full nights sleep at the same time. But maybe that's asking too much.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pumasak16 View Post
    I truly appreciate everyone's input. To answer your question Shug, I struggle with getting the proper UQ fit. I've tried tighter, looser, asymmetrical, symmetrical, bungie cord over the ridge line, clipping the long sides of the quilt to the hammock, using an underquilt protector and countless other adjustments. I have always had very inconsistent results, even with having someone checking the fit while I'm in it. I have watched all your videos (and am truly grateful for all the helpful information you provide), but I toss and turn a lot so I think I just end up pushing/pulling things and allowing just enough air in the little gaps for me to feel it. When it's above freezing it's not a big deal, but as you very well know even the smallest gap when it's near 0 degrees can be felt. I'm trying to eliminate the CBS feeling. Currently I often go to bed feeling fine but wake up a few hours later with a chill along my back and have to put a wool sweater or some other layer under me to get warm again. This works fine...until I start tossing and turning and then it moves and I get cold again.
    I think my first attempt will be simply getting in the hammock and pinning the underquilt to it as Kmazuro suggested. If I can seal the gaps this way then I can transfer it to a thin layer of Argon under my hammock. I will probably just clip the sides of the two layers together for now as my main problem (I think) is the ends.
    As frustrating as this is, I still love hammocking (I've been sleeping in hammocks for at least 30 years). For me; a large part of the appeal is creating my own gear and tweaking things exactly as I like them. I just wish I could get a full nights sleep at the same time. But maybe that's asking too much.
    Maybe try migrating your down......

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by pumasak16 View Post
    I like the concept of the Superior Gear insulated hammock for winter camping. However, I do not have the funds to purchase one so I would like to try to make one. I have made most of my gear up to this point so think I have the ability to do it. Before I make my own quilt though I would like to try to see if I can simply attach my current Hammock Gear quilt to a layer of Argon and sew that to my existing hammock. I know my Incubator is not the same width as Superior Gear (44" vs what looks to be about 54") but figured I could angle it a little to match my lay. This then made me realize I would basically be making a WB Wookie. Having never seen either a Superior Gear or a WB Wookie I am hoping I can get some information from the group. Is the only difference between the two that the Superior Gear has both layers sewn together and the Wookie does not? Is there anything else I am missing? I know Superior Gear is much more modular, but for the basic setup I'm thinking I could make a relatively cheap version to at least see if I like the concept.
    I was planning on removing the bungie cord from my Incubator and laying it out on the Argon and then just sewing it down. I would then sew both the top layer hammock (hexon 1.2) to the Argon layer (Argon 90). Does anyone have any reason this wouldn't work? Feel free to let me know if you think I'm biting off more than I can chew. You won't hurt my feelings.
    I get it. Tossing and turning hundreds of times a night didn't work well consistently with my incubator for me either.

To answer your question: The second layer on the Superior Gear hammock is structural whereas it isn't on the wooki. I've thought about doing this project as well, but I already have a SG hammock and a Wooki so decided against it. If you sew the Argon layer to the hammock, you run the risk of the Argon layer stretching too much for the differential cut on the Incubator. You could take a Wooki approach and use a sturdy rubber band on one end to allow the Argon layer to not stretch too much (just enough to conform the UQ to all of the contours of the hammock with you in it). I also think you'll need to sew more than just the sides of the UQ to the Argon layer to get the UQ to really match every curve. Those were some of the thoughts I had mulled on when considering the possibility myself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast