Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have made several hammocks with attached under quilts including a winter hammock with a down quilt probably good to around 10* F. I made the quilt much narrower than a typical under quilt and sewed it to the hammock body directly and at an angle like you describe. It works well. I’m not sure the second piece of argon is necessary, I just added some reinforcing bits to the hammock at the corners of the quilt cause in early versions I would see some stress from the stitching there. That winter hammock is 1.2 or 1.3 oz MTN from RSBR and I weigh around 175 lbs. I have some pictures I can put in a follow up post.
    Michael

This is that hammock, you can see the reinforcement in the first picture. I think the insulated portion is 24” wide at the head, 36” wide at the shoulders, and 24” at the foot, so a 44” rectangular quilt would be a lot more coverage.

A22B0400-3402-4E94-8BBA-0DB538870347.jpeg599C0445-79A9-4732-915B-C304C98F65D5.jpeg

This is very helpful information, thank you! I had been reading of people having trouble with the differential cut on the Incubator but wasn't sure if it would matter. Based on this I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy something as the whole point is to have something that works well. If I can't get the Incubator to fit perfectly then it's not worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by msongster View Post
    This is that hammock, you can see the reinforcement in the first picture. I think the insulated portion is 24” wide at the head, 36” wide at the shoulders, and 24” at the foot, so a 44” rectangular quilt would be a lot more coverage.

A22B0400-3402-4E94-8BBA-0DB538870347.jpeg599C0445-79A9-4732-915B-C304C98F65D5.jpeg
    I've seen others who have sewed into the actual hammock body and had the seems pull along the full length. You don't see that with only using your corner patches? Do you think this design would work with using an Incubator from Hammock Gear instead of making my own underquilt?

I haven’t had any issues with the quilt being sewn to the hammock body other than at the corners of the quilt. I’ve read somewhere on this forum the same thing, that you need a second layer, but I have a summer hammock with a primaloft quilt that I probably have close to 50 nights in without any problems. That hammock body is a 1 oz fabric. I think the incubator would work, but maybe just pin it to the hammock really well and set it up to see before you sew.

Quote Originally Posted by msongster View Post
    I haven’t had any issues with the quilt being sewn to the hammock body other than at the corners of the quilt. I’ve read somewhere on this forum the same thing, that you need a second layer, but I have a summer hammock with a primaloft quilt that I probably have close to 50 nights in without any problems. That hammock body is a 1 oz fabric. I think the incubator would work, but maybe just pin it to the hammock really well and set it up to see before you sew.
    great, thank you for your help! I think I'll try this for a summer weight, but I want to upgrade my winter gear anyway so I may try to save up and get a 0 degree Superior Gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12