Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Big Dave, Those quilt ratings are mostly a reference that "this will hold more heat than that"; it is not an absolute, "... you will be comfortable at xx temperature. I'm a warm sleeper and I can tell when the temps get within 10° of the quilt rating. For 40° and above, I'd go with a 30° quilt. But that's just me; some will need more (for the same temperature) some will need less.

So if you can try out some quilts - even unzip a sleeping bag to about 2 ft from the bottom (keeping a "foot box") and use it as a top quilt.

If possible, try out your setup close to home while learning what works and what doesn't. Remember, many weather reports are for the city. Here in Bend, the daily predicted temperature is for in town; it will be colder up towards Mt. Bachelor.

My point is, if it is 42° at night and you are comfortable in a 40° rated quilt - great. But check it before snowshoeing in five miles with predicted new snow.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I'm a big guy, too, and I find that hammock stretch really impacts the comfort of a hammock. If you want to test suspensions separate from hammocks, I suggest a simple DIY tablecloth hammock. A rectangle tablecloth with continuous loops on each end is a no stretch setup. Using this with different suspension options can tell you what stretch is in the hammock vs the suspension.

I actually prefer the tablecloth hammock with a Fronkey bugnet to many other hammocks I've tried. At the very least, its super cheap to put together and try it out. Here's what I bought. These seem indestructible to me: https://tableclothsfactory.com/colle...et-tablecloths

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like you need good poly straps rather than nylon straps. Looks like you are using whoopee slings. Are you milking the bury and sure they are not sliding a bit on the bury?
    And maybe a double layer hammock to get less hammock body sag. Especially if you are a big gut as you say.
    Good place to start working on this.
    Be patient...you will find your groove.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Wow, you even got info from the Shug! At my heaviest I was over 400lbs and being cheap I started using paracord 8 years ago with an eno double nest. After stretching the paracord mostly out four trips in a row (oh and I used about 10 wrappings and more lol) I switched to gorilla straps found on amazon (still using those straps until next week). For the first five years I also did not utilize a ridgeline and it was watching videos like shug's that got me to start. I actually sagged way much more without a ridgeline than with not to mention getting the same hang angle with so many different trees was sometimes impossible. I also no longer have the issue that my sides are so tight and have issues rolling out. They are now about perfect every time because my ridgeline is not adjustable now that I found the perfect length.

90 lbs lighter and 100's of camping nights, I can say that all of these points above are spot on. I would say start with new straps, work more on that ridgeline (non stretch super tough), then look at a newer hammock.

Good Luck!! Let us know of your progress, it will probably help someone else down the line.

Don

Hammock
    Kammok Roo xl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Ugq 0 degree
    Suspension
    Slapstraps
    Big Dave, I am also the size of your average NFL lineman. I have found that a Kammock Roo double along with the new ENO straps and a home made Paracord Ridgeline work perfectly for me. This is not as light and sleek as some of the stuff smaller people get to use, but as a percentage of body weight just as easy for me to tote around. I also use a UGQ underquilt on this setup. The ROO is rated up to 500lbs so with just me it's not crazy right on the sides.
    JEB

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Still shopping
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    Thanks again to everyone. What I find really cool and reassuring is there are so many big folks doing it, and several options.

Shug-always great to get some of your time and expertise also... I'm the one that responded a few days ago on one of your old YT vids about KISTler Memorial Highway and NEWlund...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I see no one has mentioned JustBill's Big Guy hammocks! I imagine that he will pipe up once he sees this thread, in the meantime, here's his info:

Email: [email protected]
    Web: https://thisgearsforyou.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12