ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Still shopping
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings

BIG Guy/Too Much Stretch, Sag

Am I missing something or is the answer simple (just go higher on trees)?

BACKGROUND: I bought ENO Doublenests for my wife and myself back several years ago. I think I even joined here about that time (2012?) intending to do some overnights instead of just day hikes. I even bought the tree straps and rope that was supposed to be low stretch. I am around 365-375 lbs.

Every time I used my hammock for day hikes or lounging at a park, I get the straps as high as I can get them on trees, to still be able to get in the hammock and I then sag to a few inches of the ground (or no more than a foot on a good day). Of course the sides are taut and then THAT causes problems (I managed to throw myself out HARD once at Roan Mountain, and to this day probably 5 years later my wife will start laughing uncontrollably if one of us brings it up...)

So I know everyone generally says to INCREASE the slack with a ridge line for a better hang... But I can't see how I can increase the slack anymore without being on the ground.

My pastor (pretty hardcore ultra-lighter and Chameleon guy) who is slowly section hiking the AT, told me good naturedly "throw the ENO in the garbage" and look at some of the better cottage makers. I'm okay with that (although the ENO was rated highly at the time I thought) as I'm a huge gear junkie myself, but will a Superior or Chamelion (the two that really speak to me) be better in this aspect, or am I cursed because of the weight. I'm also am open to the possibility that I'm missing a step or basic setup stage(?)

Ideas? Thoughts?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Better straps will help. Old ENO’s had nylon straps. Nylon stretches almost forever.
    I’m in the 300 lb range.Use good sized trees. A lot of folks will pick a weaker or younger tree that doesn’t support the weight.
    Fabric also matter. So discuss that with/if you go the cottage maker route.
    I’ve used ENO and similar factory hammocks. Toss out the factory straps or save them for something else that doesn’t bear weight.
    One of the reasons I found HF years ago was because of the problem I had with stretchy straps…
    Polyester straps are the way to go. All the vendors offer them in different length colors and sizes. And some even carry extra wide straps if you prefer.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    I would also ask for a phone call with Danny at Superior or check in with Dutch - they know the issues of bigger guys and will get you what you need.....

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Big Dave, welcome to the forum posting world. You didn't mention the material used for your straps but as mentioned, ENO used to use Nylon = stretchy. Their Atlas Straps for several years now uses less stretch polyester. Is your hang angle about 30 degrees - the distance between the hammock ends when hung would be about 83% of the full physical length of the hammock.

Do understand that 350lb+ is outside most hammock/suspension specs. That said, I briefly owned a 400 lbs rated hammock - a Sale Item either from DutchWare or WarBonnet - it was long ago. The fabric felt like canvas but you know some HyperLite 1.1 oz is not going to do the job for you. Also, if you wear pj's in the hammock, it will feel like pj's against your skin.

I had a 6'4" friend who would try to match my purchases. I reminded him that I was about 5'5" and what works for me may not work for him.

I'd contact the various vendors and asked what they have that might work for you. I have a BIAS (Butt in a sling) double layer XL Camper - rated at 450 lbs. BIAS appears to be out of business. IM me if you want to discuss it further.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-12-2023 at 17:33.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    It's not just the straps but also the hammock material itself. I have a Dream Hammock Sparrow 1.7 MTN double layer and whoopie slings. I'm about 280 and that thing barely sags an inch when I get it. It's my tank of hammocks.

Enos and your Amazon stuff all use cheap "parachute" nylon that gives a lot. I would look for a heavier fabric that doesn't give as much.

I also noticed the firmer hammock is a lot easier to get out of.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagouillard View Post
    I would also ask for a phone call with Danny at Superior or check in with Dutch - they know the issues of bigger guys and will get you what you need.....
    Absolutely right! You need a new hammock and suspension. Hammock and suspension should be made for your weight and height.

Since you have an ENO Doublenest, the hammock width should be 66 to 72 inches wide. Maybe a fabric like Hexon wide 1.6. I’m not sure, but your vendor will know what you need.

Ask your vendor which straps-suspension will be best for you.

I started with an ENO Doublenest and noticed an increase in comfort, when I got longer hammocks—
    11 feet, Eleven and a half feet, and 12 feet long.

Enjoy your journey to hammock heaven!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I'd, at a minimum, get some of the cinch buckle straps from a cottage vendor (needs continuous loosen the hammock). I'm around 240 lbs and the hammock and straps that came in my Hammock Gear Wanderlust Kit will result in enough stretch that I've gone from seat height to an inch off the ground by the end of the night even though they're rated for 300 lbs IIRC. Never had that problem with my Warbonnet or Superior Gear kits. Superior Gear's straps seem particularly beefy. Aside from that, I wouldn't be of much help advice wise so talking with cottage vendors will let you know if they have anything suited for an NFL nose tackle. Don't forget about length and width while you're at it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Considering all the aspects of your hang - daisy chain suspension has nothing (no buckles or buries) to slip.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I can sympathize. I'm a fairly big guy too and always seemed to need to push my straps higher than everyone else as well to deal with the sag. And that was using low-stretch straps. It was the hammock fabric that was the issue.

So +1 on suspension AND hammock fabric. You need to consider both.

The suspension problem is easier to solve than hammock fabric. Just do what others suggest and get straps made from a low-stretch material like polyester or UHMWPE (aka Dyneema) or some combination like Dutch's Spider/Poly straps. It's the hammock fabric that may be a bigger challenge. The most straightforward solution is a double layer hammock with heavier material.

I'm 100 pounds lighter, but still struggled to find a hammock fabric that worked for me for a single layer hammock. 1.6 Hexon and 1.6 HyperD were both too stretchy. I found that I couldn't go less than 1.7 MTN. But I am also a backpacker and was seeking to go as light as I could while still supporting me comfortably. If hammock weight doesn't matter to you, I encourage you to consider double layer hammocks. My first cottage vendor hammock was a Warbonnet double layer in 70D Nylon. Talk about a tank! It remains the most supportive hammock I have, but it also weighs almost two pounds so it never goes in my backpack. I only use it for car camping.

Most cottage vendors make double layer versions of their popular hammocks. And you don't always need to have both layers be the same material. You can have a sturdier outer layer and a lighter (and more comfortable) inner layer that combined offer better support than either layer individually. I'm sure there are others on the forum who have experimented with different fabric combinations for each of the layers to find the sweet spot for support. I leave it to them to share their insight for the best fabric combinations for big guys. If you want to stick with a single layer hammock, I wouldn't recommend anything lighter than a 1.9 oz, and probably better to consider a 2.2 oz or heavier fabric.

I don't think Dutch offers anything heavier than 1.6 Hexon for the Chameleon his website, but he does offer it as a double layer. A DL with both layers using 1.6 would definitely support you. I'm not as familiar with Superior Gear hammocks but have only heard good thing. I think their DL is right at your weight limit though and I'm not sure whether they offer more supportive fabrics.

Most of the cottage vendors will be willing to work with you to get you exactly what you need even if they don't offer it exactly on their website. I guarantee that you aren't the first big guy they've made hammocks for.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Still shopping
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all the positive support and quality info/answers.

I love the DW line (especially the new zip on UQ) but Superior comes integrated. I would never go in the dead of summer anyway, so anytime I'd be in the woods here in the WNC mountains it would get down into the 50s at the highest, and down to or below freezing. Years ago, I PREFERRED winter camping, although that's subject to change 25 years later(!) I also am thinking ahead to my wife whose AL/GA blood gets cold easier than me, so possibly a 15 rating for her and maybe a 30 rating for me, or 0 and 15 respectively.

Again-I appreciate the interaction.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast