Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post
    It's important to note that the study cited by this article refers specifically to the risk for exposure to agrochemicals including permethrin to individuals with the SNCA-A53T mutation, one of 6 specific genetic mutations linked to Parkinsonian syndromes, and found in less than 5-7 percent of those individuals suffering from Parkinson's disease. Specifically, those with mutation seems to be sensitive to the way that the agrochemicals react with proteins in nanotubules in dopamine-specific nerve fibers, causing increases in alpha-synuclein mediated neurofibril tangles. However, the majority of people do not seem to be at greater risk for this, and individuals with the mutation have increased risk factors in general for Parkinson's, not only from environmental exposures including permethrin, but overall.

In other words, if you have the mutation, your risk is increased. Exposure to permethrin increases it further. If you do not have the mutation, exposure to permethrin does not appear to increase your risk of Parkinson's.

And if you have Parkinson's, it may have nothing to do with exposure to permethrin.

None of which takes anything away from my sympathy for your diagnosis, Oldgringo - best to you, and I hope that you and your medical team find the ideal pathway forward for you. There's a lot of promising research going on on the PD frontier. I'm not into a lot of it, as I'm more Pediatric-focused, but I get bits of information from the fringes. All my best to you.
    I agree with this analysis. Anyone with Parkinson’s does face a difficult disorder and I can appreciate that OP may want to help others avoid this, because it is such a challenge for him and his family. However, since this condition has been known since ancient times, connecting it to a potentially helpful agent only used in the last 50 years like permethrin (preventing lymes) is fraught with difficulty, particularly if we try to extrapolate from a small study of mice data. Certainly we should all seek to reduce exposure to pesticides, but I don’t want to get tick related illness that can be reduced by permethrin, based on a small mouse study.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    JRB, EE
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Thank you for the clarification, Doc Theo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    To be clear, I was not suggesting that anyone avoid permethrin; looking back, I wouldn't change a thing, and will continue to use it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    JRB, EE
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Cheers, Old Gringo. I just hope that current and future treatments help you return to normal. I suffered from a year of paralysis and I’m still trying to rebuild my neural network. Side effect from my issue is similar to Parkinson's so I can empathize.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just learned tonight that my brother-in-law has been diagnosed with Parkinson's. I guess I'm gonna be learning a lot about this disease.

Apparently, he's been having symptoms since 2014. Tremors in the hands - instability when walking. More to be learned.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-01-2023 at 21:26.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    Typhoon
    Insulation
    Radiant DblBubble
    Suspension
    garda hitch
    One paper, based on two-week exposures on mice, does not a scientific discovery make.

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    depends...
    Insulation
    depends...
    Suspension
    Knots and straps
    Bummer my dude on the diagnosis...

Keep your chin up and stay positive!!

I'm not a doc by any stretch but don't count out ole MJ to help relieve some of your symptoms.

-INCH-

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Seize the days brothers and sisters! None of us knows how long we’ve got.

Best of luck and wishes to anyone suffering from a disabling disease.

I was diagnosed end of last year with cancer (2 types of NHL). Prognosis is good-ish, but it has for sure thrown a large wrench into both working and living. The saddest part was that using my hammock had become so painful that I could not longer rest in it. Luckily, that has been resolved and I can once again enjoy some hang time. No better way to relax.

I can’t wait to do some backpacking later this year to the Olympic Coast and watch the sunset while nodding off to the gently sway of my hammock and the sound of the incoming waves.

Peace all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12