ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Isle Royale 2023 - Good Hang Spots

I am heading to Isle Royale this year to backpack the Feldtmann Loop with two of my buddies. I have been to the island eight previous times, but always used a tent or stayed in shelters. Since my last trip (11 years ago) I have switched to backpacking with a hammock. I have already looked up the rules governing hammock use on the island, but now I want to find out how easy it is to find good places to use a hammock along the route. I found several threads but nothing too recent.

I plan to take my sleeping pad and ground cover so I can use my tarp as a tent, and my TQ as a sleeping bag if necessary, but would prefer to use my hammock at all the sites.

So, my question is, who can give me advise about tent or group sites at each location that have good places to hang our hammocks. There will be three of us and we will be staying at Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Huginnin Cove, and Washington Creek.
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    The Quest
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beckit Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky32 View Post
    I am heading to Isle Royale this year to backpack the Feldtmann Loop with two of my buddies. I have been to the island eight previous times, but always used a tent or stayed in shelters. Since my last trip (11 years ago) I have switched to backpacking with a hammock. I have already looked up the rules governing hammock use on the island, but now I want to find out how easy it is to find good places to use a hammock along the route. I found several threads but nothing too recent.

I plan to take my sleeping pad and ground cover so I can use my tarp as a tent, and my TQ as a sleeping bag if necessary, but would prefer to use my hammock at all the sites.

So, my question is, who can give me advise about tent or group sites at each location that have good places to hang our hammocks. There will be three of us and we will be staying at Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Huginnin Cove, and Washington Creek.
    I have never been there. Purchase a tensa trekking tree hiking pole and you'll never have to worry about finding two trees again. One good tree can almost always be found, then hang the other end of your hammock from the pole.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It has been several years since I did the Feldtman trail. IR has always been a tad sketchy for hanging and I have heard that they have gotten stricter as to where you can hang. At one point at Lake Richie we had 3 hammocks in a triangle from 3 trees. The only site in Washington Creek that we were able to get ANY hammocks in was site 1 or maybe 2. Did not have any trouble at Feldtman Lake or Siskiwt Bay we did not go to Huginnin.

You may want to check out Mike Tremblay's site http://www.isleroyale.info/book.html and book. Has a few pictures of the sites.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Tip: avoid hanging across moose trails or adjacent to wolf denning sites

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It has been several years since I did the Feldtman trail. IR has always been a tad sketchy for hanging and I have heard that they have gotten stricter as to where you can hang. At one point at Lake Richie we had 3 hammocks in a triangle from 3 trees. The only site in Washington Creek that we were able to get ANY hammocks in was site 1 or maybe 2. Did not have any trouble at Feldtman Lake or Siskiwt Bay we did not go to Huginnin.

You may want to check out Mike Tremblay's site http://www.isleroyale.info/book.html and book. Has a few pictures of the sites.
    Since I used to only sleep in a tent, I never paid any attention to tree placement for hammocks. Although, I have been thinking the possibilities are probably pretty scant. I'll have to check out his site. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles