Repurpose atlas tree straps

I have some atlas style tree straps I purchased early on in my hammock days, I never used them due to the weight, I was gonna donate them but wondering if anyone has any other alternative use for these things, not related to hammocking.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Add a handful of carabiners or S-hooks and you've got a great storage strap sort of like the one pictured below. I use one of my old Atlas straps to hang my backpacks and quilt bags in my storage room. I also have one in my garage that I use to hang hand tools and tool bags that don't fit on my pegboard. I thought about mounting one horizontally to one wall in my shed and using the loops to hold my shovels and rakes etc. in place, but I never got around to it so I don't know if that would work.

~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

you are right to hesitate. one does not donate one's daisychain style straps. if for no other reason, it would mean inflicting them on somebody else. one should also not repurpose them, imho. one should hang them somewhere visible, unused and conspicuously pointless, ideally somewhat in the way. they will make a good conversation starter for when the grandchildren grow up enough to start asking unconfortable questions (but you can't just hang them up when you think it's time, grandchildren would notice, it would just not be the same, they'd have to be hanging there for years and years, seemingly forgotten). the topic of conversation, of course, would be the lesson about humans trying to replace knowledge and proper research with seemingly easy, "lazy" solutions that "just work".

i hope i didn't offend anyone too much, couldn't help myself. yeah, i don't like daisychain style straps, sure there's nothing wrong with them, i guess it gets people into hammocking with minimum fuss and pain.

so questionable humor aside, i would probably consider something along the lines popcornfool pointed out, perhaps securing various tools and such to a pannel could also be a use for them. depending on how they are constructed, and the quality of strap used, it might also be worth considering to remove the stitches and recover the full length of strap, to use as light duty cargo straps or such (but it depends a lot on how they were made)

Nanok, no offence here i thought it was funny, i never did use the atlas straps, i think they are brand new, in case you're interested, I kid.

I will see what gear i can hang on them, I do have a lot of canoe packs I could get off the basement floor.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I like Dutchwaregear, spider daisy chain webbing.
    And do not like the larger bulkier Atlas tree straps.

The lazier and more mistake proof gear is—the better I like it.

My suspension goal is
    Will not slip
    Will not jam
    No knots
    No hardware
    As simple as possible
    Light enough, and compact enough to backpack

One of my hammocks has a built in bugnet and continuous loops on each end. I use carabiners to connect to spider daisy chain suspension
    My netless hammocks are knot free and hardware free

There are some diamond knots, but they were tied one time and never have to be untied or retied

Part of the fun, is seeing all the different suspension solutions used by hammock campers. It all works, or they would not be using their suspension of choice, over time!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've been using daisy chain for years. It helps me, and a camping partner who isn't that "into" hammocks, get setup with less fuss. I'm slowly migrating back to webbing just for a change.

I can't sell them alone because the shipping cost would eat up any left over after a reasonable discount price. But if I sold other gear - tarp/hammock/quilt - I could offer them with a 30% or more discount as an add-in if someone wanted to try them. The only "fix" I've played with was to make a small continuous loop I can double over to create a half-step between to loop increments.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    I enjoyed the humor @nanok! And I've been using the Atlas XL for a decade but finally upgraded to 2" dyneema straps and a becket hitch. Only having hung with them once this past weekend, I'm sold.

@Phantom Grappler your setup sounds sound too, and one never knows when they decide to change suspension philosophy.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Loving this! And laughing because I'm just about to get a set.
    As some of you know I full time outside in a hammock and because I tend to use a Beckett hitch, and sometimes don't take my hammock down for weeks, I feel that I'm not doing my "good" light weight straps any favors. So I decided to get some heavier daisy -chain straps for every day camp use. Add to that the fact that I never know what sort of thing I may be attaching to, tree w/ super rough bark, rusty metal pipe, etc, I need something that is both heavier and that I don't have to twist up into a hitch. Heavy duty carabineers are already part of my non-backpacking gear.

So if anyone is getting rid of their unloved daisy -chains I'll be happy to take them.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

<nanok jumps up and down excitedly> "i made a joke i made a joke!"

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster UQ
    Suspension
    Not settled…
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    <nanok jumps up and down excitedly> "i made a joke i made a joke!"
    You did, indeed, sir, and I, for one, chuckled.
    Well played… well played.

• + New Posts