Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

EXTREME HAMMOCKING

So what's you most extreme hammock experience? Dangling from a cliff? Being awakened by bears? Having a squirrel jump on your face?
    Mine was bow hunting bison in a winter storm that lasted an entire week. Constant wind, constant snowfall (except for 2 hours), no way to use a spotting scope or find tracks...it was brutal. Camped in a different spot each night. Got lucky at dusk on the 6th day and spotted a bull, pitched my Clark and set out after him the next morning early. My Mega Ogee was a lifesaver...it got hammered on the windward side. Kept the other side up a bit so I could see out. Turkeys woke me up at 4am as they walked under me. My bull was down a few hours later. I was spent. Hiking in snow in steep places will wear ya out. Was in the teens everyday, dunno what the night time temps were but had to keep my hydration bladder next to me if I wanted coffee in the morning. Slept good every night though. Utah can be a cold cold place in winter.

IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    bowshotbison.jpg
    BOWBISONVICTORY.jpg

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Well done. Nice Bull.

I hear you on the winter camping. Many night below 0*F down to -30*. I've hunted dear, elk, and bear from my hammock, but never bison. I didn't realize they had bison hunts in Utah.

Hammocked out of the car, boat, backpack, motorcycle, pulk, canoe, and horseback so far.

My most "extreme" hangs have probably been from the boat where I like to spot a grove of trees that no tenter could use and beach the boat for the night. I end up hanging off some pretty steep hills, quite often hanging over the water. Good idea to watch that last and first step while entering and exiting the hammock.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    All I can say, is wow.
    Wait a minute, once a bear tried to abscond with my food and pack, but it was tied to hammock with amsteel
    All that jostling woke me, the bear was gone (temporarily) when I got up to see what was swinging my hammock.

And that pix of your bison, that’s no bullsxxx!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Eno DryFly
    Insulation
    OneTigriss 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I always wonder if you guys ever get bumped by wildlife while sleeping in your hammocks, I remember a guy on YouTube called backpacking adventures that got bumped by what he thought was a coyote in the middle of the night. That guy had some good videos then they just stopped

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    All I can say, is wow.
    Wait a minute, once a bear tried to abscond with my food and pack, but it was tied to hammock with amsteel
    All that jostling woke me, the bear was gone (temporarily) when I got up to see what was swinging my hammock.

Do you still hang your food from your hammock?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes, worst that could happen, I could die and or get some gear mangled or missing. My gizzard could stand to miss a few meals!

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    we did a hang in linvillegorge and we had bear problems cooked chill and a bear came into camp just walking around he came back that night and got in to cars food and everything I even found bear tracks next to my hammock pretty scary
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    All I can say, is wow.

We can label this: HOW TO MAKE A BEAR BURRITO
    Always stow your food well away from your shelter, up high and don't bait bears to your hammock. OMG!

102.jpg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I know you right

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Okay - because you mentioned squirrel-on-the-face experience - mine was at Lake Helen, the base camp for a Mt. Shasta summit "hike". I was in a bivi sack and I must have left the head end a little open so I could see the stars. All of a sudden, in shallow sleep, something jumped on/off my face. What was THAT? I looked around, unzipped bivi more to check near the bottom - while still lying down - nothing?? Maybe it was a dream. Then I settled my head back down and looked straight up. There, just above my face, clinging to the top of the bivi crown (arched section) was a mouse. Sheeesh! I was pretty sure he didn't want to be there and I wasn't in a mood to share. I don't recall how I encourage him to leave via the head end rather than scamper down to the foot end. But yeah, Critter-on-the-face at night can be disconcerting.

Never had the problem with a full netted hammock, but I have had to "talk someone down" who erroneously assumed whatever they thought was crawling on their bug net was on the inside. A stray bit of moss can look like a spider at night.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast