Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Pulk Pulling Slog

Superior Hiking Trail – Sugarloaf Parking Lot to Crystal Creek Campsite

This was another “quick” overnight on the SHT. I wanted to finally use my pulk that I had bought last year and see how it works on the trail, if I enjoyed using it, if I thought it was helpful, etc.

A “quick” hike.
    I had thought that with this route, I could see how the conditions were and then keep hiking or not depending on how I was feeling. This particular stretch had campsites sprinkled along at 1.5, 2.8 and 3.5 miles as the trail started to run into George Crosby Manitou State Park.

I was worried that I was A) out of shape and B) the trail was going to be a slog. It was a bit of A but a whole lot of B.

The unplowed parking lot.

The Pulk Pulling Setup
    For gear I was using a Hill People Gear Umlindi pack with their prairie belt and the racing pulk & poles from skipulk.com. The poles went on the pack via a couple of climbing rated caribeners.

The start of the trail. Didnt look to bad…

One big road plow ridge to go over.

Another nice section before all hell broke loose.
    After a nice bit of hiking I started to get to an area that must be pretty swampy in the summer months. I started postholing pretty good, even with snowshoes and light pack and getting caught up in downed brush and trees that were bent over with all of this years record snow.

The start of postholing and getting my pulk caught up.

Bent branch after bent branch.

The snow was so deep I was walking over this bench!

Calico Creek, didnt see this on any maps.

Great lake views.

Going down, cross the bridge, and getting back up over that creek was a challenge. The first time I went down my pulk didnt perfectly align with the bridge and I had to take off my pack while leaning over to grab the pulk and pull it onto the bridge. Then going up it wanted to fishtail and pull me to the side. Fun times.

Finally I arrived!
    That was probably the slowest hike in my life. It took me 4 grueling hours to go about 2 miles. I cant overstate how much I was pulling my pulk over downed trees, or crawling under them or postholing. It was exhausting.

Saw a grouse hiding!

When the path was clear the pulk was fantastic! I stuffed most of my gear into this army surplus duffle bag and then cinched it down with some rope. It worked really well overall. When its gliding it feels like theres hardly anything back there and I’d have to look over my shoulder to make sure it was still attached to me.

I finally got to use my Warbonnet winter tarp! It worked really well even in a difficult, tight hang. I used my SLD Trail Liar hammock and my 0F quilt set from LocoLibre gear.

I also finally got the chance to use my new multi-fuel stove. The Bushcooker Lt II from Four Dog Stove company. It only weighs 3.8oz which is pretty impressive for its size! I had brought it to just play around with and had intended to bring my MSR white gas stove to melt snow for water but actually forgot to pack it. So I used the Bushcooker with my trangia, esbit tabs, and as a twig stove. It was a lot of working tending the stove but I was able to slowly melt enough water to stay hydrated and to cook with. It just took a lot of fussing with.

Just a bit bigger than a can of pop.

The pattern on that Warbonnet tarp does a great job hiding you out there in the snow!

It only got down to about 15F that night so I was plenty warm. I read for a few hours then ended up passing out for a good 10-12 hours of sleep! Only woke up once to go to the bathroom and because I was to warm and had to take off some layers.
    The hike out went much faster since I had packed down the trail somewhat. But I still had to fight a ton of downed trees and it was slow going.

I also came across this which I had never seen before. I had to do some digging but I found some great content online in government databases. The kind of stuff thats one broken link away from disappearing forever. So Ive uploaded them to this site here and here for preservation. The first is a database of bearing trees in Minnesota, as of 1995. I guess now all of the data lives in some database somewhere. The second is a US Forest Service guide to identifying the remains of bearing trees.

What is a bearing tree? Its an old surveying monument for section corners in surveying land divisions. Basically instead of pounding a stake in the ground they’d use a tree! It appears to have been an older system. I’m not sure how much its used now. The information on the tree I found was pretty much sunbleached out and illegible. This page has a ton more info and background and was worth a read.

All in all a pretty fun trip! Was good to get back out there again.
    Random Thoughts:

• I wore VBL glove liners and they were fantastic! Kept my hands warm and just a tad clammy but dry overall the whole time. Its not rare for the tips of my fingers to get a bit cold if Im not careful but that never happened on this trip.
    • The pulk was great when it was getting choked up by downed trees. Will definitely look forward to using it again. I can see how great they’d be on frozen lakes.
    • The Backpackers Pantry Granola with Blueberries, Almonds & Milk was really good! Looked to be just oats and powdered milk with freeze dried blueberries. Going to give making it at home a shot.
    • My toes did get cold pretty often. I just think that with the boots and the thick socks I was wearing I wasnt getting enough circulation to them. I was wearing my Vasque Snowburbans which are pretty good overall but I should have opted for my Steger Mukluks, are had forgone socks and worn a VBL or my Wiggys socks. A lesson for next time.
    • The snow shovel I packed ended up being really handy. Will definitely keep bringing that on all my trips. Used to shovel down to ground level for my chair and stove and to build a little wind break wall underneath my tarp.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Great trip report, thanks for sharing! Considering getting a pulk next year but I want to try out some simpler winter camping before investing and that just hasn't lined up this year. As I have been snowshoeing this year though I have been wondering about how pulks do when you come across downed trees or the sort of stuff you encountered. Answer seems to be to suffer but keep going. Out of curiosity, what made you go with the racing pulk?

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD
    Insulation
    mixed variety
    Suspension
    Jeep, 4 inch Lift
    Nice report!

I'm on the south shore, but same story here. Crazy weather swings this year, warm, cold, snow, rain and repeat has all the underbrush and half the over brush bent over.
    There is no slipping through or ducking under anything right now. Either bull your way through or go around, and I'm not sure were around even is.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Out of curiosity, what made you go with the racing pulk?
    I've played around with the UHMWPE type plastic before on snow mobile sleds in Alaska and was pretty impressed with them. They bend and flex on the trail and seem to glide exceptionally well. So long as you dont set them out in the sun for years on end they hold up extremely well. Was really pleased with it overall.

Plus at that size its harder to over pack. Can carry everything I need and some luxuries easily but not the whole kitchen sink.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Thanks for sharing the great read. Jealous/Not jealous about pulling extra stuff with a pulk and you have a fine pulk, indeed.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Nice pics! That underquilt design is awesome.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yessir....pulk pulling on trail is a whole 'other thing compared to pulk pulling on lakes and even portages.
    I'm apt to just go with a pack on trails nowadays. Yes, a few kitchen sink items will be abandoned.
    Enjoyed reading your briefing and glad you got out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Great trip report! It's the slogs that get remembered 10 years from now, thanks for sharing with us the memories with us!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Nice trip report and pictures- thx!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've pulked maybe 4 times, many years back, and discovered the same... add any sort of elevation change and snarly-twisties to the trail and it becomes serious work. Also, overnight temp of 15°F was cold enough but when daytime temps approach freezing or higher the snow gets softer and wetter and the drag coefficient goes way up, making it even harder.

The only good thing is the huge relief when you finally arrive at camp.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast