Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

VIDEO: Winter test in frigid, windy conditions and new low temp PR

New England got a real taste of frigid conditions on Friday/Saturday as an artic cold front came and went, bringing with it subzero temps for the first time in some time here in Rhode Island. Seemed like a good excuse to set up the hammock, test my gear and see if I could set a new cold camping PR for myself.

Admittingly, it's sort of easy mode when you can set up your camp, return to your warm house and then head out at bedtime. And I was able to use a heavy synthetic bag with a claimed -40F value in the hammock in addition to two underquilts. Still the wind was fierce all night with some powerful gusts so I was happy to err on the side of caution.

I certainly was not cold this night - the bag and quilts kept me toasty. But the howling wind and popping of trees kept sleep at bay at times. I was happy with my tarp pitch was deadened the effects of the wind but my side tieouts loosened as the night went on. It's time to invest in a better system for those side ties - I'm thinking individual shock cord for each one. Having one long line for each side was my initial experiment but it's time to improve.

The biggest issue I had was that in the middle of the night I attempted to get up to pee and my calves seized up. I ended up dangling out of the hammock, legs locked up in a frozen, painful position. I sort of swung my frozen legs back into the hammock and abandoned the attempt. They were twitchy the rest of the night.

Anyone have any idea of the cramp issue? It happened to me in NH a few months back but I chalked it up to dehydration and the hard exertion of the day. I don't think I was sleeping with my legs elevated on this trip but maybe dehydration is still the culprit?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Ouch. Been there, experienced that. For me, I chalk it up to loss of electrolytes, which help with nerve conductance and are usually the cause of cramping for me. I used to be a runner, and always got debilitating cramps after mile 20 or so when running marathons. I'd recommend trying to consume some extra salts (my go-to happens to be LMNT).

-4 is my PR in a hammock, so -7 must have been brutal! Especially with the wind. Thanks for the video!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Thanks for putting up your video, I was hoping you would. I would have gotten my hot tent set up, but I had to go to work at 6am. It was -22 at my place with moderate wind. No glory.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    Ouch. Been there, experienced that. For me, I chalk it up to loss of electrolytes, which help with nerve conductance and are usually the cause of cramping for me. I used to be a runner, and always got debilitating cramps after mile 20 or so when running marathons. I'd recommend trying to consume some extra salts (my go-to happens to be LMNT).

-4 is my PR in a hammock, so -7 must have been brutal! Especially with the wind. Thanks for the video!
    Several people have recommended more electrolyte so that's something I'll definitely try to increase on my next trip. The temp was not an issue at all, incredibly. The wind kept me up but even the huge gusts that rocked my hammock didn't seem to affect my warmth. Certainly the bag did most of the work but I have to think that stacking the under quilts really kept the wind at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Thanks for putting up your video, I was hoping you would. I would have gotten my hot tent set up, but I had to go to work at 6am. It was -22 at my place with moderate wind. No glory.
    Oof, -22° is a whole 'nother ballgame. But this test went well enough that in the right situation I could see myself giving those temps a shot!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oh, I know you were craving some sub 0º.
    Glad your wish came true.
    Bass on......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Oh, I know you were craving some sub 0º.
    Glad your wish came true.
    Bass on......
    Shug
    Yep, I got what I wanted! Then 36 hours later we had 50° temps. Woof!

• + New Posts