Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    12' Hex Sil-poly
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Underquilt gaps on the side causing drafts?

Last night temps got down to around 43F and my butt and legs were getting cold. Made for a miserable night of waking up shivering.

My hanging kit:
    - Hammock: 11' Dutchware Chameleon, Top cover and sidesling.
    - Sidesling in on the right side.
    - Underquilt: Hammock Gear Incubator, 40 degree econ.

I'm 6'1 and about 175 lbs--long and narrow, but getting rounder in the middle every year.
    I lay head left, feet right.

I'm noticing that regardless of what adjustments I make to the secondary suspension, I seem to get a gap between the UQ and hammock on the left side about where my knees are. I think this is where I'm getting the draft that ultimately compromises the UQ insulation.

Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end here.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Without seeing the setup, do you think something like Dutch's ridgeline quilt hook might help? You can probably make one out a piece of wire or something to test. Or you may try, temporarily, clipping the underquilt to the edge of the hammock. If you find that works the you may try sewing some hooks and D-rings onto both to help them stay together.
    It might also be worth checking your ends - I recently was doing some experiments with my own gear and noticed that I was also getting a draft on my calves and bottom of my feet. Shortening the underquilt cord length at the foot end, thus making it pull tighter to the hammock, stopped the gap I was getting along with the draft. Admittedly I had more of a gap at the end and not the sides, but might be worth looking at. I would have never noticed it except I coerced my wife into helping and taking some pictures.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    12' Hex Sil-poly
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    Without seeing the setup, do you think something like Dutch's ridgeline quilt hook might help? You can probably make one out a piece of wire or something to test.
    [...]
    I would have never noticed it except I coerced my wife into helping and taking some pictures.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked into those ridgeline quilt hooks before, but watching the video I could see them possibly helping. I'm going to have to experiment.

As for coercing the wife she's been helpful, but doesn't really get what I'm looking for. What I really need is my son to grow up to my size so he can be my hammock crash test dummy.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Bottom of under quilt when hanging in front of and parallel to your empty hammock should be six inches higher than bottom of your hammock, along entire length of under quilt.

To test
    Set up hammock with under quilt. Adjust how you regularly use them.
    Now without detaching under quilt from hammock, pull under quilt out from under hammock. So that under quilt is now parallel with hammock and completely on same side of hammock where you are standing.
    Now look at bottom of your under quilt and bottom of your hammock.
    Bottom of under quilt should be six inches higher than bottom of hammock along entire length of under quilt.

Better than my blah blah blah—You should watch Shug’s YouTube videos on how to hang your under quilt. His information is the best there is. And his videos are entertaining.
    Shug sometimes hammock camps in below zero weather. He has to do it right or become polar bear ice cream.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this up for some perusal.
    Hope you find a fix.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    My money is on a fit issue. Possibly over-tightening suspension? Shug's video should set you straight...it worked for me!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftp View Post
    I'm noticing that regardless of what adjustments I make to the secondary suspension, I seem to get a gap between the UQ and hammock on the left side about where my knees are.
    Adjust your PRIMARY suspension, that's the one that tightens you're UQ to your hammock. Secondary doesn't eliminate gaps. Secondary is, well...second. That's the one that moves you UQ head to foot on the hammock.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Shug also carries a small clip or two to seal up the errant gap or sag. Most times it's just easier than getting out and tweaking with the suspension.
    Each hang is a little different. Conditions vary. What may work well one night might develop problems the next. Make sure the shockcord on the suspension is in decent shape. A couple seasons of good use especially if used a lot in cold weather and it might well need replacing or at least tightening to accommodate for stretch and loss of elasticity.

Just one of the reasons I went with sewn in bottom insulation.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Shug also carries a small clip or two to seal up the errant gap or sag. Most times it's just easier than getting out and tweaking with the suspension.
    Each hang is a little different. Conditions vary. What may work well one night might develop problems the next. Make sure the shockcord on the suspension is in decent shape. A couple seasons of good use especially if used a lot in cold weather and it might well need replacing or at least tightening to accommodate for stretch and loss of elasticity.

Just one of the reasons I went with sewn in bottom insulation.
    Hmmmm....I've never seen myself use a clip to close gaps. Normally I tweak until I find the solution. I've used shock cord but I don't recall myself using clips.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    i don't watch anyone else. Maybe you used them for something else. I thought I remember you said you always bring a couple?
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast