OK...
Starting my Florida Hang series again. Covid stopped me for a few years but we are starting over with the Spring Fling 3/17-3/19, then No Underquilt Hang 7/14-7/16, and finishing off with Summer's Last Gasp 9/22-9/24.

Come on out for a wonderful time in the Florida Piney Woods. This is the last throws of our "Florida Winter" that ends sometime between Jan and March. March days are usually warm with average 79* and nights cool with average 52*. This being Florida, it can also be completely different.

Since Hidden Pond is on the Florida Trail in the Ocala National Forest, It's a short(ish) hike and hang. You have your option of 3 different trailheads to suite your hiking needs.

Coming from the North, you start at Pat's Island and hike South on the Florida Trail for ~3.5 miles. This is our medium length hiking trail of the 3. I believe this is the prettiest hike in my opinion.

Coming from the South, you start at Juniper Springs (pay-to-park). You head North on the Florida Trail, for the longest of the 3 trailheads, for ~5.5 miles. This could be a challenging hike with less overhead coverage and a seasonal crossing of a small creek that's usually crossable without getting wet. But yall know how that can go.

Starting at Hidden Pond Short trailhead for the shortest of the 3 trails, you can come in from the West. This is a short ~2.5 miles but semi-challenging trail that sometimes has overgrown brush and mid-day can have some sections of sugary sand. This trail is usually packed nicely in the mornings and after the afternoon thunderstorms if we get them.

Usually, you can see all kinds of animals on the hike and listen for the calls of the Scrub Jays as you pass by their territories. After sunset, you can see fireflies in the prairies light up the sky if it's warm enough. Splash down in Hidden Pond to cool yourself off in the beach entry section of the pond.

This is primitive camping so bring your food, cooking utensils, and bathroom needs. Also, the pond is our water source to a water filter or boiling is needed. The primitive site has many trees for hammocks and many clearings for tents, if that's your thing.

Let us know if you're a betting person and we'll put you on the list of attendees. This is not mandatory to come out, it just helps others if they may want to hike in together.

See yall there.

Name, Dates attending, Trailhead to hike in, approximate Time arriving.

1) Floridahanger, 17-19, Hidden Pond Short, 8am