Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,

Dutchware Halfwit?

I’m looking for a minimalist hammock setup for bikepacking the Great Divide. I will have to bring a tent as my main shelter. Bringing my usual lightweight hammock and bugnet is still too bulky/ heavy. Anyone have experience using the halfwit on hot, buggy summer nights? I am concerned that the bugs will feast on my legs when it’s too hot to be under the 30f quilt I will be using.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
    I am concerned that the bugs will feast on my legs when it’s too hot to be under the 30f quilt I will be using.
    Therein lies the problem with the Half-Wit design: if you kick your quilt off your legs when you overheat (and I do), the mosquitoes will feast! For that reason, I've never considered the Half-Wit.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use a HUG for day hikes. I think it's like a Halfwit without the hammock. I'm seldom a in a situation where skeeters are a problem (I have been - the north end of Hosmer Lake) but it only takes one to ruin a good hang. I don't know the science on "bite through" resistance of materials - like winter weight cotton jammies if you know you are going to kick off the quilt.. In the summer a 30° UQ might work for me, but the TQ would be no more than 40°.

Another option is skeeter begone devices - like a ThermaCell - assuming they will last as long as necessary.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-01-2023 at 14:27.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I use a HUG for day hikes. I think it's like a Halfwit without the hammock. I'm seldom a in a situation where skeeters are a problem (I have been - the north end of Hosmer Lake) but it only takes one to ruin a good hang. I don't know the science on "bit through" resistance of materials - like winter weight cotton jammies if you know you are going to kick off the quilt.. In the summer a 30° UQ might work for me, but the TQ would be no more than 40°.

Another option is skeeter begone devices - like a ThermaCell - assuming they will last as long as necessary.
    What is a HUG? Is that a Dutchware thing?
    I will be riding my bike through the Rockies from Banff Alberta to the Mexican border. In areas with mosquitoes they tend to be extreme. The areas with trees will likely have mosquitoes I imagine. Some nights will be hot, others may have snow.
    I have been looking for a bugnet that can work with a ground setup as well as hammock, but haven’t found anything in the ultralight area.
    Also, going to have to use my air mat instead of underquilt to save weight and space. Definitely open to suggestions.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Ah, got it. Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What is a HUG? Is that a Dutchware thing?
    I will be riding my bike through the Rockies from Banff Alberta to the Mexican border. In areas with mosquitoes they tend to be extreme. The areas with trees will likely have mosquitoes I imagine. Some nights will be hot, others may have snow.
    I have been looking for a bugnet that can work with a ground setup as well as hammock, but haven’t found anything in the ultralight area.
    Also, going to have to use my air mat instead of underquilt to save weight and space. Definitely open to suggestions.
    Perhaps experiment — maybe you have already done so — with the air mat in a hammock before forgoing a UQ. I tried it and immediately realized it wasn't going to work for me. Might be best to carry a ~8oz air mat in addition to UQ. You will probably sleep very few nights on the ground, so it seems more logical to spend a few comparatively uncomfortable nights on the ground rather than endure discomfort every single night in the hammock.

BUT — maybe you're one of the few who is perfectly okay with the air mat.

I would also suggest a fully netted hammock, and, if you haven't already, check out Shug's video on how to GtG with the hammock, in essence using it as a bug bivy.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I’m looking for a minimalist hammock setup for bikepacking the Great Divide. I will have to bring a tent as my main shelter. Bringing my usual lightweight hammock and bugnet is still too bulky/ heavy. Anyone have experience using the halfwit on hot, buggy summer nights? I am concerned that the bugs will feast on my legs when it’s too hot to be under the 30f quilt I will be using.
    Can't really think of my lightweight alternatives aside from mentioned HUG.
    Repelants barely work in my experience, so might aswell skip those. Maybe re-shufle your bag till you have space/weight for a decent bugnet
    Last edited by attroll; 02-19-2023 at 09:08.

How about using a light-weight quilt liner instead of a quilt on warm nights in your half-wit?

Sent using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    I have thought about soaking a liner in permethrin and using that, but it would weigh as much as the bugnet and take up as much space.
    I will be riding my bike for almost 3,000 miles through the Rockies. Space and weight will be at a premium. I’m starting to think that I will just have to drop the hammock idea all together. Thing is, sleeping in the hammock is rejuvenating for my body. I sleep way better and it is good for my back.
    It’s a tough call.
    I am surprised that no Halfwit users are chiming in on this conversation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast