Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    There have been some very good suggestions so far and I almost triggered a buy reflex last for two new premium 40F TQ and UQ.. I wish I had known about these 40F UQ before I invested in the Trail Winder given my primary metric is pack size.

Not to diverge from the primary topic, but what I really really like about the TW UQ is that pretty much covers the whole hammock like an UQP whereas my memory of the HG Econ 20F was that it was much smaller but way more puffy and it was a bit nerve wracking always adjusting it to ensure it's covering you. Maybe if someone made a TW UQ with 850FP that would be the ultimate for me!

Anyway, I'm gonna sleep on this a few nights or weeks and see...
    If you’re looking for a down version of the trail winder you might want to check out warbonnets offerings, the yeti and wookie.
    kris

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmazuro View Post
    If you’re looking for a down version of the trail winder you might want to check out warbonnets offerings, the yeti and wookie.
    kris
    I don't think they're comparable. The Wookie is just an Incubator and the Yeti a shortened version. https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...winder-asym-uq is basically like an UQP with a thin UQ fused on.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    [QUOTE=uninjured;2086024]I don't think they're comparable. The Wookie is just an Incubator and the Yeti a shortened version. https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...winder-asym-uq is basically like an UQP with a thin UQ fused on.[/

the wookie is just like the trail winder. In fact you have to order the correct lay because the insulation is oriented at an angle.
    kris
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 02-07-2023 at 19:42.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    [QUOTE=Kmazuro;2086025]
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    I don't think they're comparable. The Wookie is just an Incubator and the Yeti a shortened version. https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...winder-asym-uq is basically like an UQP with a thin UQ fused on.[/

the wookie is just like the trail winder. In fact you have to order the correct lay because the insulation is oriented at an angle.
    kris
    My apologies, you are right! I was judging by the photos and in most if not all it seems the wookie color matches the hammock color so I didn't notice.

From their description: "The Wooki® is a hammock down underquilt which covers the whole bottom of the hammock but only a portion of that is insulated, with the insulated area being aprox."

That's actually a really good contender except that I don't know if I'm a head-left or head-right person and I don't think the wookie can be made asym... I think I sleep mostly head-right but sometimes try head-left thinking it's more popular and that perhaps there's just something wrong with me

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Hammockgear posted a 15% off sale today so I ended up pulling the trigger on a premium burrow, 40F, wide, no ground gear, in charcoal + taffeta burnt orange inside. I spent a few hours last night watching videos on making your own TQ but it doesn't look easy and you'd still be looking at $100+ in raw materials at least but some folks managed to build 40F TQs weighing in at ~12oz... I figured for ~$240 the HG premium is a good deal even though I think it came out to be around 15oz which is even lighter than my Costco TQ and will be much much better constructed and I won't be choking on leaking down at night either. I don't know much about TQ but I figured the zipper would be best for summer and I sprang for the wide so I can use it as a general purpose blanket when needed (tent or bed or even a flight).

Actually I just realized that my Costco TQ is also 50" since I cut off 2 squares of width... I'm 195lbs, 6'0", should I go with the wide or amend to the regular width? I searched the forum and some people hated the extra fabric but some loved it...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I converted a $20 Costco throw into one by just adding a snap to form a footbox. I didn't add anything to the other end, but I'm sure it could be done.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Smallest, lightest, cheapest summer top quilt?

my vote goes to the loco Libre operator 50 degree quilt.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    my vote goes to the loco Libre operator 50 degree quilt.
    This is what I eventually went with. You should check it out. Came in at around 10 oz. Paired with a 50 degree Yeti. Incredibly light insulation system for the summer.

The lightest in summer will probably be apex. I think EE can get them down to around 12 oz.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    For 40-50 degrees I just use a poncho liner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast