Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    Little update, I took my hammock to a local park and set it up there between some trees and the situation was the same, I think whats happening is the hammock is just conforming to the curves of my body, my knees being the highest point. Putting something under my knees completely gets rid of the gap and I feel instant warmth, it's kind of a band-aid fix and isn't as comfortable but it works. Maybe in the future I'll spend more time messing with angles and stuff because I did notice the hammock had a different feel when hung from trees.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you can get someone to take photos of you in the hammock, that might provide missing information about "fit". I think you are on the right track - getting it as good as gold with the lie - play with different sag levels, foot end elevation, and amount of diagonal to the center line. Then add the UQ and adjust for best fit. Note that paradoxically you want it a little loose on end cinching so it conforms to your body but you want the main suspension tight so it lifts the hammock when you are not it. That more assures it will hug the whole bottom of the hammock with you in it. If it turns out you absolutely need that knee pillow - so be it. If that's the case, for less bulk and weight you can use an inflatable.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-21-2023 at 13:28.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LordreginaldC View Post
    Little update, I took my hammock to a local park and set it up there between some trees and the situation was the same, I think whats happening is the hammock is just conforming to the curves of my body, my knees being the highest point. Putting something under my knees completely gets rid of the gap and I feel instant warmth, it's kind of a band-aid fix and isn't as comfortable but it works. Maybe in the future I'll spend more time messing with angles and stuff because I did notice the hammock had a different feel when hung from trees.
    I am like a broken record on this one (and apologies if I already posted this on this thread), but I read somewhere to get a set up in your bedroom. And sleep in your hammock every night for two week. Indoors. And if it is wrong at 2AM, get up and get in your bed. And then the next ight adjust something. Generally tension or foot/head height (I guess ridgeline length could be adjusted as well though I never got there). I did this and after about a week I got it dialed in to what my body likes.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    That’s an interesting idea, haven’t heard this one before. I’d try this if I had the space or a house with walls I’d trust enough (500 sqft built in ‘42).

I’ve been thinking of doing some removable 4x6’s in the yard to simulated hanging between two trees and just ease of setting up/taking down/aesthetics. When I tried in the park I really did get a slightly different feel when laying there. Maybe like the fabric was able to open up more? Or a flatter feeling lay? Hard to put it into words.

I also just remembered I did have a wondrous night of warm sleep in the coldest temperatures I’ve had it down to which was right at the 20* mark, so I know it’s doable. I even have a picture of that hang so maybe I’ll look at it and see if I can remember anything obvious that I did particularly different that trip.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    So, I ended up snagging a 0° Incubator underquilt from Hammock Gear... For science. I also got a Circadian Pro, again, for science. Also there was a sale.

I got the Circadian in their 70D fabric, curious to see if the heavier fabric would have any effect on the "calf ridge" I've been experiencing. On the initial hang I immediately reeeaaally liked this hammock, I can get a really flat lay and it feels so spacey with the super high ridgeline, the 70D feels pretty sweet too. I got a bit of ankle pressure but was able to sort that out with some squirming around, however the most interesting part is there is still the calf ridge! The heavier fabric actually just makes it more rigid and increased the pressure if anything. I was able to minimize it decently with some more squirming and adjusting, so I'm confident I'll get it sorted out with time and experimenting with hang angles etc.

Now the interesting (to me) part, after installing the Incubator, even with the more pronounced calf ridge, I had ZERO cold spots. It was about 40° in my backyard and from head to toe I was absolutely on fire. So, I threw on my MW3, low and behold, a cold leg and knee right along that raised length of the hammock fabric.

I don’t know if I should attribute the Hammock Gear's better fit to the draft collars, the leg shelf or both, but when I peeped between the Circadian and Incubator around the leg area and amazed to see that all of the lower leg area of both were all snugged up to each other, a problem I have always had with my MW3.

Lastly I put the incubator on the WBBB XLC and while it had a much better fit than I ever got with the MW3, it still wasn’t quite as good as when paired with the Circadian, which was perfection. Again, I’m confident I can get it to that level after I mess around with the suspensions.

TLDR; I got an Incubator and a Circadian Pro from Hammock Gear and the Incubator basically ignores whatever air gap a “calf ridge” may create on both hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123