Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    I started from square one and went back to the stock JRB suspension, three wraps on the head-end and two wraps on the foot-end to provide as much upward lift without running out of too much stretch in the cords. I had my top-quilt laying in the hammock and increased wraps up until the quilt was a few inches higher than the hammock when hung on the side.
    1.jpg
    Also I hang head right feet left sometimes mainly due to an annoying street light in the neighbors yard, you can lay either way in the XLC, but for the rest of the testing I've been head left and feet right. The orange thing in the first pic was just a triangle thingy I had left clipped on, I removed that for the rest of the pics though.

I have the foot-end much higher than I normally do, but normally I keep it around the 16"-18" recommended mark, it makes no difference. Ridgeline is routinely taught but not tight, I can put a good bend in it when I'm laying in it.
    2.jpg
    3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    An XLC is an asymmetric design. I have never tried to sleep the other way, but I think you have to flip it over. Or something. I have never cared to try to sleep the other way but I think it requires something on the hang.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Eno DryFly
    Insulation
    OneTigriss 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I'm not sure if the issue is due to the UQ sealing but for what it's worth on my Eldorado it took me a while to get rid of the calf ridge. What finally worked for me is this: I typically would get in the hammock and then sort of slide my feet from the INSIDE of the hammock to the OUTSIDE to smooth out the fabric and slide into the foot box. One day I just slid my feet from the OUTSIDE of the hammock towards the INSIDE and I just settled perfectly into the lay with no ridge at all. I can consistently find that sweet spot now by repeating that slide in from the outside movement. I hope I'm explaining it right lol.

edit: This video might help explain what I mean, if the link doesn't do it for you fast forward to 4:38 in this video. See how he's sliding his feet to make the foot box? Do this but from the opposite direction, from the outside edge towards the inside..ie from this kid's right towards the left/center of hammock. https://youtu.be/T2zZs4F9Ujg?t=278

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    An XLC is an asymmetric design. I have never tried to sleep the other way, but I think you have to flip it over. Or something. I have never cared to try to sleep the other way but I think it requires something on the hang.
    You just flip the bug net inside out. I have my Eldorado set head right. WB details it here for the XLC: https://youtu.be/yTSVJ-vxYcY?t=79

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I'm not sure if the issue is due to the UQ sealing but for what it's worth on my Eldorado it took me a while to get rid of the calf ridge. What finally worked for me is this: I typically would get in the hammock and then sort of slide my feet from the INSIDE of the hammock to the OUTSIDE to smooth out the fabric and slide into the foot box. One day I just slid my feet from the OUTSIDE of the hammock towards the INSIDE and I just settled perfectly into the lay with no ridge at all. I can consistently find that sweet spot now by repeating that slide in from the outside movement. I hope I'm explaining it right lol.

edit: This video might help explain what I mean, if the link doesn't do it for you fast forward to 4:38 in this video. See how he's sliding his feet to make the foot box? Do this but from the opposite direction, from the outside edge towards the inside..ie from this kid's right towards the left/center of hammock. https://youtu.be/T2zZs4F9Ujg?t=278
    Interesting, very counter-intuitive... I'll give this a shot. And your link worked perfect, thanks!

And yeah like FLTurtle said, it's just the net that gets flipped. I don't have the net on in winter so I can switch back and forth however my heart contents.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Looking at the foot end gap, that'd be a job for a draft collar.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Looking at the foot end gap, that'd be a job for a draft collar.

Not gonna lie, I was ogling at the HG Incubator 0* this morning. Those big puffy draft collars with the leg shelf look awesome.

I wonder if another part of my problem is pushing the MW3 to it's limits and me being a cold-ish sleeper. I feel pretty comfortable in the mid-30's and up (other than that cold spot behind my knee) but once I'm in the 20's I just can't confidently climb in for a full night without having a pad or something to help.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Check out this post on DIY draft collars: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post677262

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    LordreginaldC, be careful not to get lost in this mix of ideas. Though you presented them as one, "... calf ridge creates a channel for cold air ..." you are dealing with two issues.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be related, I'm just suggesting you solve one at a time. For example, For now, forget about the cold channel and UQ fit. In fact, remove the UQ. Just deal with the hammock and the calf ridge. You are also using a Tensa4 - that's another "complication" - it's own set of adjustments. So I'd go to a park and find two trees you can use that are about 12 feet apart.

Now that 12 - 18 inch rise at the foot end is extreme already. I'm not saying it's wrong - just that before that WB video came out, many were content with about an 8 to 10 inch higher foot end - though maybe with a different brand of hammock. That "footbox" is sort of unique to WarBonnet. My point is you shouldn't have to go any more extreme than that and depending upon your height/weight you might be comfortable with less.

The short of it is - take all that extra stuff (UQ, Bug Net, Tensa4) out of the equation; even forget about the 12 - 18 inch rule! I don't have your hammock but because it has a built in bug net, I'm guessing it has a built-in ridgeline. So your minimum sag is already set. But everyone is a little different, maybe for your body you need just a bit less.

I'd suggest anchoring to those two trees with about a 10 inch difference between the head and foot end - measured at the end of the hammock, not the tree. You can even set it so the ridgeline is slightly loose. So you have one "major" and one minor adjustment. The minor one is the sag - from just a little loose to just snug but not guitar tight. The major one is changing that foot to head height difference. Then you have your diagonal angle (for the correct hammock head/foot orientation).

If none of those adjustments gets rid of the ridgeline, you can alway put a small camp pillow/pad under a knee. Many do that anyway.

So - getting comfortable is step one. Next, still staying with the trees, you can add the underquilt. There is clearly a gap in you photo #3 but in photo#6 it looks like only one side of the UQ is in the carabiner. My UQ's have a shock cord loop that feeds through the side channels. I have one S-biner on each end that connects the UQ to the hammock suspension loop just at the ends of the hammock. The HammockGear UQ has a secondary suspension that I also connect to that S-biner. There are other devices/methods of giving and extra lift at the ends, if necessary. I wouldn't go so far as to say, "Keep the end cinch completely loose." but you want it loose enough so your UQ can conform to the shape when you are diagonal. The suspension should be tight enough to lift the hammock when you are not in it.

I don't want to go on to try to rewrite Dereck's, "The Ultimate Hang", You will feel it when you have that UQ just about right. And in a previous post I mentioned an UnderQuit Protector (UQP) can make that setup less critical.

Once you have the A-ok with trees, then adjust the Tensa4 so that the suspension height is about the same. I believe you have some variability with the base and height settings. The deal here is who's the tail and who's the dog. You want to set the Tensa4 to follow your hammock, not your hammock to follow however the Tensa4 ends up when you first assemble it.

Or, ... or, I could be all wet about all of the above. It's just the way I'd go about it.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-03-2023 at 21:19.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    I think removing as many variables as possible is definitely the way to go, I'm gonna do exactly this and give it all another shot. The tensa being a part of the equation didn't even really occur to me, but I haven't changed it, so who knows.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast