Canada>Central>EGL - Explore and fish Deep Lake, Noganosh PP, Aug 2023

For those of you that like to explore, I'm going to try to make it to Deep Lake, in Noganosh PP, and do some fishing. I'd love it if some more experienced anglers came along as I'm pretty new to fishing.

WHEN: Aug. 18-21 (Fri-Mon)
    START & END: Flemings landing, unless there are a lot of people, then Ess Narrows.

I've been there before with underserviced back in 2021. The portages are a bit of a bush wack but none of them are any longer than 500m. Since it's not the easiest place to get to, I FIGURE THE FISHING COULD BE AWSOME!

A couple of weeks ago, I flagged the portage from John Lake to the next lake (with no name). This time I plan to find/make the next 2 portages to Deep Lake.

My plan is to paddle and portage until mid-afternoon on Saturday , or whenever I tire out, spend the rest of the day and some of the next morning fishing whatever body of water I make it to, then start heading back.

Let me know if you're interested in joining me. I have room in my canoe for 1, or bring your own.

Anyone who wants to just hang out at a campsite on Noganosh Lake for a few days is also welcome. If that happens, I'll plan to make it back to Noganosh Lake for Sunday night.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Not to burst your bubble and fishing could be awesome, but there is a forest access road that more or less skirts deep lake and would most likely grant much easier access than a fairly long bushwhack operation. So if deep lake offers good (pickerel) fishing my guess would be that locals have already a trail cut in from the forest road. The same forest road is also the access to many of the back lakes in the island lake conservation area. 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, hunting and such. So in essence John Lake is much more remote than deep lake.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundryWaters View Post
    Not to burst your bubble and fishing could be awesome, but there is a forest access road that more or less skirts deep lake and would most likely grant much easier access than a fairly long bushwhack operation. So if deep lake offers good (pickerel) fishing my guess would be that locals have already a trail cut in from the forest road. The same forest road is also the access to many of the back lakes in the island lake conservation area. 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, hunting and such. So in essence John Lake is much more remote than deep lake.
    Yes, I've seen those forest access roads first hand. The ones around Deep Lake don't appear on Google Earth to be as wide as the one that passes by the NE corner of Finney Lake, and some of the roads marked on my topo don't exist anymore. I know because that got me confused once while bush wacking.

Do you think locals portage a boat/canoe from those roads to the lake? I'm assuming not, so they would only be able to fish from a limited number of spots along the shore, leaving me some fish, hopefully.

At any rate, I also like to 'read' the topography and look for signs of previous portages. It's kind of a puzzle.

Thanks for the intel and please join me if you can.

• + New Posts