Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Tensa4 - Any non-invasive floor anchors for indoor use out there?

Hi everybody,

I'm thoroughly enjoying my new Tensa4 stand, like a kid in a candy store at a playground. I now see so many possibilities with this stand, especially for traveling in the urban/civilized world. Whereas before I considered my hammock strictly a wilderness setup, or at the very most an outdoors setup, now I almost feel like I can also take it indoors without having to put holes in the walls, for example, when visiting friends or relatives in other cities or countries, and I don't really fancy sleeping on a couch or worse yet, have someone give up their bedroom to accommodate me.

I say almost because there is one minor problem, the ground anchor. This Tensa4 comes with two long Orange Screw stakes that are great for the outdoors, but obviously not so good in concrete. And of course I'm not going start drilling holes on someone else's walls so that I can place a proper hook. So far I've been able to pile some counterweights made up of whichever heavy items they can find for me (a sack of dog food, on top of a speaker cabinet, on a dining table), and one time I was able to anchor the UCR though a door slit with a wrench acting as a toggle above the hinge, and using a few towels around the wrench to protect the door paint. But this does take a bit of time and ingenuity to figure out. So I was wondering if anyone has come up with a clever solution that is simple, easy to use, and doesn't require to move all the furniture around, and most importantly, that can be carried along with the Tensa4 wherever one goes.

I've done some research on industrial suction cup hooks, but they only work on very smooth surfaces like glass. They don't work on a surface with any texture like a tiled floor.

Happy to hear any of your ideas or comments.

Thanks!
    R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

they used to come with a toggle for use at the hinge point behind a door, you could easily make something like this, check out 1:15 of this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa748quaVu0
    www.3drcparts.com my company

Images
    +1 on the door hinge suggestion. Another method would be to lark's head the end of the ground tether UCR around a sturdy item of some sort, maybe a shoe for example, then put that item on the other side of the door and close the door. That way the door jamb would bear the load of the tether.

Both these suggestions assume you're somewhere near a door to begin with. Other possibilities are only limited by your creativity and by the items available within your surroundings. Just keep in mind you don't necessarily need a heavy item or hardware screwed into the wall to anchor to.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I’m hanging right now in the stand anchored to a small screwhook driven easily with fingers through carpet into the floorboard. Leaves no mark, or rather the carpet hides it completely.

Baseboards often have a small gap in places with flooring. If you can wedge something in that gap. Say an L-shaped metal strip: tap the bottom into a gap, the upright against the baseboard face. Anchor to hole or hook in upright.

Does the room have a bed? Set up atop the bed and anchor to the bedframe.

Is there a stair? The treads have noses, often. C-clamp a nose.

You don’t need to anchor to the ground, nor even to a low point. Look up. Is there a window you can crack open and then trap your anchor on the outside? Is the curtain rod well-anchored? Heating register? The physics of a low connection are a little more favorable, but anything that doesn’t move, high or low, can serve to immobilize the foot end with appropriate tension. High points don’t present a trip hazard, either. Be sure to wrap anchor line through the pole connection so it doesn’t pull off a pole end.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 12-22-2018 at 11:15.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Check out raftingtigger's pic on this post where she uses a solid bar to anchor both ends: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1833774

I remember seeing it awhile back but don't recall the discussion around it and whether or not it works. But that's about as non-intrusive as it gets if it does work.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Great ideas, thanks so much everybody. I've been using the door hinge toggle option, but sometimes there are no doors in the direction of the stand, and I do try to put a sock or something around the toggle to protect the varnish/paint on the door.

Latherdome, thanks for all the suggestions. I think I can picture most of them. Now here's one recommendation for Tensa Outdoor. You guys could add to the videos on your website a collection of "how-to" tutorials on different ways to secure the Tensa4 indoors, and other tips and hacks, such as ways in which you can rig a tarp on the Tensa4.

Since the stand doesn't come with it's own official anchor system for indoor use (or a tarp attachment for outdoor use), and since many hangers are using the stand in these kinds of settings, a series of videos with these ideas would be nice.

Thanks so much everybody and Happy Holidays!!!

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Agree more better videos good. On the roadmap. Excuses follow: we’re making changes to the suspension system, so don’t want to sink too many resources into showing what may be ephemeral details. The changes are more driven by production efficiency/cost POV than function, namely a switch from UCRs to webbing. There are pros and cons of both, so don’t worry about not having the latest greatest. We may continue to offer UCR at a small premium for those who strongly prefer it, and to retrofit webbing if preference runs the other way. Other reason is video is hard without more talent and tools than we possess, but we’ll get there.

We’ve thought about a contest among users to submit videos of setup/breakdown. The winner is the one who shows the fastest time WITHOUT LOOKING HURRIED. So yeah, smooth, and that’s subjective. But the setup procedure will change significantly with the shift to webbing, so.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    We’ve thought about a contest among users to submit videos of setup/breakdown. The winner is the one who shows the fastest time WITHOUT LOOKING HURRIED. So yeah, smooth, and that’s subjective. But the setup procedure will change significantly with the shift to webbing, so.
    What a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Excuses follow: we’re making changes to the suspension system, so don’t want to sink too many resources into showing what may be ephemeral details. The changes are more driven by production efficiency/cost POV than function, namely a switch from UCRs to webbing.
    Personally I like the UCR ridgeline and guyline. I think webbing would make a better baseline, especially in outdoor settings as it can handle soil better than amsteel IMHO. I’d be interested in retrofitting the baseline with webbing, depending on what adjustment system is used.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    Personally I like the UCR ridgeline and guyline. I think webbing would make a better baseline, especially in outdoor settings as it can handle soil better than amsteel IMHO. I’d be interested in retrofitting the baseline with webbing, depending on what adjustment system is used.

Adding parts to parts section is holiday agenda item.
    --

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast