Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The best stitch!

Hi everyone, Im a newbie here, but wanted to reach out and use this great resource! Thanks for having me.

I am looking to begin making some camping/travel hammocks at home (cottage-style?), and trying to decide the most appropriate stitch for taffeta nylon. I see many "chain" stitches out there, ENO is one popular user-I believe, and some others. My concern with it though is that if it snags it could all unravel easily? Has anyone had experience with this? I see other companies that are popular who claim to use an interlock stitch, which I think is primarily used for clothes, but was curious of its efficacy.

Im looking to make some solid hammocks and really would appreciate some insight into the best stitching for wrinkle taffeta nylon material ( I think thats what it is), basically the same stuff as what I see ENO using. Chain the best? Strong? Interlock?

Any feedback is much appreciated, guys.

Thank you in advance!

Brian

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    I think the general consensus is use a straight stitch with good thread like Gutterman thread and a properly tensioned machine.
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to hammock Forums.

All hammocks and gear that I am aware of are made with a standard straight lock stitch which is the normal stitch that virtually all modern sewing machines make (other than some specialty commercial machines and sergers).

I don't know where you think you "see many "chain" stitches out there", but trust me, you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
    I think the general consensus is use a straight stitch with good thread like Gutterman thread and a properly tensioned machine.
    how many per inch? lots of tension or medium? 50 or 70 threads?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    how many per inch? lots of tension or medium? 50 or 70 threads?
    10 stitches per inch is an average for most people. You only adjust the tension to make a balanced stitch in the material and only adjust the top tension.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    No commercial manufacturer, or knowledgeable stitcher for that matter would use a chain stitch for gear. The chain stitch is pretty much restricted to closing potato sacks and feed bags so they can be easily opened. You might find some kiddie toy machines that use a chain stitch but that is only because it needs only one thread. That means it is easy for little fingers to use with dull needles that won't stab the tyke qhwn they get sloppy and too close. Hand held portable repair gizmos will also use the chain stitch for repairing drapes without taking them down. Again pretty much a toy. Standard lock stitch is what you will find in any home machine unless you look really, really hard in off brand machines. Interlock stitch is a whole different animal that you need a serger or similar multithread machine to get.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I really like this one.

Welcome to the forums.

Fronkey

Thank you for the great feedback, clearly I was a little misled by what the "chain" stitch actually was. I took a sample ENO hammock to a sewing machine store to see if they could identify the stitch being used, and they claimed it to be a chain stitch. It appears that they use something other than a straight lock stitch though, but maybe they reinforce it in some way. It looks a little more meaty of a stitch than a standard lock. I like the idea of using a stronger thread, Gutterman was a great suggestion, thank you so much. Im not sure yet of how any stitches per inch, nor do I know of the tension adjustment at this point. Im trying to test a few different ideas.

What about the interlock stitch? I went to the same sewing shop and had one demonstrated for me, but the interlocked back looked like something you'd find on a pair of jeans rather than a hammock. Do people use an interlock on any commercial hammocks? Are there any variations of stitches used in the industry at all? Just curious...

You guys are giving me great info, this really helps!

Thank you!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    As I said above, an interlock stitch requires a serger or similar machine and is not a replacement for a standard sewing machine. Sergers commonly are 3 or 4 thread machines although I believe some industrial sergers can have quite a few more. You might find raw edges finished with an interlock stitch but that the extent of its use in hammock AFAIK
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast