Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me pick out a new set-up!

I've been hammock camping for about 8 years and I'm looking to upgrade my hammock and quilts. I currently have a Dangerbird (which I love), a DIY underquilt, and a down sleeping bag. The hammock is double layer with a permanent bug net and solid cover. I'd like to move to a single layer with just a zippered bug net to reduce weight and bulk. For the quilts I'm looking for down, 40 degree top and bottom, and 3/4 length UQ. My budget is around $700 for everything. I'm 6'-2", 240#. What would you buy and why?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    What kinda tarp coverage/shape are you looking for?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Pretty standard set-up in anything but warmer weather a 40/20 kit might suit a bit better in most regions. Looking to lighten up? How light, lighter, lightest?

JRB has a nice line of quilts in those temp ranges. The Shenedoah UL 40 is 11.5oz. Sewn through baffles but at those temps not a big deal. I own one. About $280. Their regular Shenedoah 40 Long to fit your height 15oz. $190 with a sewn footbox. JRBs other 40 degree TQ is the Sierra Stealth 19.5oz in the long and is a little wider than the other two $230. I own one of those as well.

My UQs are both clones. One is a 20 degree HG 2/3 length the other a 20 degree Lost Biker Lewis 3/4 length so they don't really count.
    JRB happens to have their 20 degree torso length Greylock 3 UQ 17oz on sale atm $190.

You really can't go wrong with any of our HF vendors. It's really cutting hairs but there are some other options to look into. Brandon with Warbonnet has a differently design TQ the Diamondback which are highly customizable and start at $220. They also have the Wookie 20 degree at $220. If you have trouble fitting a normal UQ to your gathered end hammock, you might want to give one a look.

There is also an HF sticky on insulations you can take a look at as well that might provide insight. Good luck with the downy goodness.

On hammocks I've sort of moved on to sewn in asym insulation, but I do own a couple DH Freebirds and just use a Fronkey style bottom entry bug net when needed. Hard to get much lighter in a gathered end but once again were sort of cutting hairs. Everyone from Dutch to HG to SLD are making the highest quality gear available for our uses. Talk to any of them. Tell them what you need and they will all have some great products to fit your requirements.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 01-20-2023 at 20:46.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Derch View Post
    What kinda tarp coverage/shape are you looking for?
    I have a Superfly that I will continue to use.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have a set of 40F HG econ quilts, a Burrow and a 3/4 length Phoenix. This is my main quilt setup for pretty much year round here in Florida. Crazy thing, I looked at the invoice...I paid $90 for it back in 2018. Can't believe it's nearly double that now. I own 20F and 40F sets and they cover me for the camping I'm willing to do (down to the 30s, and no snow).

Rather than get a 40F set, why not look at replacing your sleeping bag with a tq to temp match your DIY uq? Or are you looking for having 2 separate sets for 3 season and winter?

For $700, you should be able to get a hammock for under $200 and a set of 40F HG Premium quilts, around $500. I think HG is having a 15% sale right now, so well under $500. You could get the Econ quilts and save a few bucks, but a tad heavier and bulkier.

For zippered hammocks, I have a WB Eldorado (like the XLC, but minus the shelf) and a DW Chameleon with symmetrical bug net. The Eldorado is a loaner, and the Chameleon is my main. If I want to go lighter, I still have my original DW Half Zip asym but I prefer the symmetrical Chameleon (the new model Half Zips are symmetrical now).

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I have a set of 40F HG econ quilts, a Burrow and a 3/4 length Phoenix. This is my main quilt setup for pretty much year round here in Florida. Crazy thing, I looked at the invoice...I paid $90 for it back in 2018. Can't believe it's nearly double that now. I own 20F and 40F sets and they cover me for the camping I'm willing to do (down to the 30s, and no snow).

Rather than get a 40F set, why not look at replacing your sleeping bag with a tq to temp match your DIY uq? Or are you looking for having 2 separate sets for 3 season and winter?

For $700, you should be able to get a hammock for under $200 and a set of 40F HG Premium quilts, around $500. I think HG is having a 15% sale right now, so well under $500. You could get the Econ quilts and save a few bucks, but a tad heavier and bulkier.

For zippered hammocks, I have a WB Eldorado (like the XLC, but minus the shelf) and a DW Chameleon with symmetrical bug net. The Eldorado is a loaner, and the Chameleon is my main. If I want to go lighter, I still have my original DW Half Zip asym but I prefer the symmetrical Chameleon (the new model Half Zips are symmetrical now).
    I'm looking at upgrading for a couple reasons. First, I want to reduce some bulk and weight from my current setup. My camping is normally 9 day canoe trips in the BWCA and Quetico with a 60ish pound pack. I'm not looking for backpacking weight, but I think I can lose a couple pounds and a few liters of bulk. Second, I currently have a "second" hammock set-up for my kids that they have outgrown. They will use my current system when they camp with me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    To keep it simple and on budget you could go with Hammock Gear Burrow and Phoenix (Econ line) and their 'Circadian' hammock. Not ultralight, for sure, but serviceable and durable and not crazy heavy.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Wables View Post
    I have a Superfly that I will continue to use.
    That makes it way easier. At your height and weight I would get an 11' wide. That takes out the hammock gear kits or superior. Chameleon or Sparrow would be my 2 recommendations based on what you said. Hammock gear or Jacks quilts would both work in that range. Dutchware is coming out with a zip on UQ soon if you are not in a rush to get it right now.

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    Consider Superior Gear bundle. It comes with a 12' tarp....you may be able to call them to adjust a package..

It's not quite what you stated you're looking for as the hammock has the bottom quilt sewn in... BUT

You could end up under budget... For a quilt and hammock .... Depending on your choices of fill, length etc...

Dunno where you are...but if in the US ...

It's just a thought.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wables View Post
    I'm looking at upgrading for a couple reasons. First, I want to reduce some bulk and weight from my current setup. My camping is normally 9 day canoe trips in the BWCA and Quetico with a 60ish pound pack. I'm not looking for backpacking weight, but I think I can lose a couple pounds and a few liters of bulk. Second, I currently have a "second" hammock set-up for my kids that they have outgrown. They will use my current system when they camp with me.
    Ok, makes sense.

So, for 40F quilts, the HG premium vs econ: 3 oz difference between the tq and around 2 oz for the 3/4 uq. Assuming std length/width, zippered footbox Burrow and a std Phoenix uq the total weight of the premium is 26.28 oz, econ is 31.45 oz. Both econ and premium would use the same 4.5L stuff sacks. Some folks advocate for ditching the stuff sacks since they tend to be rigid lumps vs leaving the quilts loose and letting them fill in the empty spaces.

Either one should reduce weight and bulk vs your current sleeping bag/DIY UQ setup. What are the weight and volume for both?

Hammocks are pretty personal, so you'll need to figure out do you need a lighter weight material or dual layer, maybe netless and use with a fronky vs. a zippered bug net. Also, do you want to be able to enter the hammock from both sides (dual zippers? they add weight). For me, I just went with a Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon (I'm 6'1" and and 250) with a symmetrical bugnet. It's a bit bulkier and heavier than my original Half Zip, but I'm ok with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast