SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Closing Doors On Tarp

Does anyone have any tips on keeping the doors closed on your tarps? I have a Warbonnet Superfly I took out on a recent trip and had a heck of a time staking the doors close together.

I was thinking I could maybe sew some velcro strips or something on. But I dont have any experience sewing on silnylon and am a little afraid of tearing up the tarp with my sewing machine, or even hand sewing if I mess up.

Anyone use velcro or some sort of sew on snaps in the past they could recommend?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I encounter same problems getting a good door closed seal
    My tarp is Dutch’s bonded seam winter tarp, 12 foot ridgeline and 11 and half feet wide.
    Some things I might do, next time camping in rain.
    Stake sides closer to hammock, this will make a more narrow footprint, but it will also allow doors to be closer to midline, or even overlap a bit.
    I have used bottom end door guylines, to tie off at opposite side loops on other side of tarp. This way I can get a bit of overlap.

I’ve thought of adding more pull loops to tarp doors, so they can be tied or clipped closed during wind and rain.

Form follows function! If I want to stay more dry, then I need to make some improvements.

At last hang I noticed many tarps closed at end midline, and some were crisscrossed with some overlapping for a weather tight seal.
    Part of that might be, getting hammock ridgeline and tarp ridgeline very close together.

I have cheated and covered both ends of hammock with two ponchos. Ends of ponchos are snapped shut nearest trees. Other end of ponchos are snapped shut only on lowest two snaps.

One of the cool kids will post how they achieve rain nirvana!

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I've put kam snaps on my tarp doors that didn't already have them (not sure who all has the option available besides Jared). They aren't going to stop sideways blowing rain, but I haven't need more. They are pretty easy to put on, inexpensive and come in a lot of different colors. I also like two-piece snake skins that I put snaps on.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    On my superfly, I used shock cord with mitten hooks on the door tieouts and cross them over each other to hook on the opposite corner d rings rather than staking them out. By using this, I can effectively close the doors with them overlapping each other except near the top where the hammock suspension comes through. Also, I can clip the doors back along the inside or outside walls of the tarp.

2020-06-26_08-09-23_185 (2).jpg

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    ^^^^ ditto. And sometimes I close one end that way and then stake the other (downwind, if I'm setup right) end to one stake for an almost closed but easier to get into end.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

I prefer sew on velcro strips and then use a little plastic carabiner to keep the two doors together while only using a single stake.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    I've got snaps on my winter tarp doors and it works really good
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    On my superfly, I used shock cord with mitten hooks on the door tieouts and cross them over each other to hook on the opposite corner d rings rather than staking them out. By using this, I can effectively close the doors with them overlapping each other except near the top where the hammock suspension comes through. Also, I can clip the doors back along the inside or outside walls of the tarp.
    This looks great! I've already got a spool of shock cord and bet I could get some mitten clips cheap.

I'm not looking for a watertight seal against horizontal rain or anything. Looking to more block the wind than anything.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What FLTurtle and LowTech said. Worked great this past weekend at the Grayson Highlands hang where we had INSANE winds. I don't like using Velcro because it can do a number to your bug net.

I use elastic cord, tied to the corners and a Dutch line lock hook that I connect to a small loop of elastic cord on the opposite corner. When not in use, the hooks clip together and keep the lines tidy.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuckeyeFan; 01-25-2023 at 17:04.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    On those mitten hooks, the gates tend to be a real pita and get in the way...prolly worse if you have gloves on. I snipped the gates off and sanded the stub down smooth. They hold just fine from just the shock cord tension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast