Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I also use some Zing-it instead of shock cord, with a mitten hook on one and and a loop on the other. I can then stake them out, or loop over the tie-down. Lots of combinations. I stake the sides down fairly close to the hammock if rain is possible. In the photo above, I would reverse the doors tieing them inside the tarp. That way if you leave them open and awake to rain moving in, you can stay under the tarp to deploy them. With them tied to the outside, that's fine but you are getting wet(er) to go out and untie them and stake them out. Usually in the dark.
    My latest tarp is cuben and so I got the ties where they roll up just at the end. Best of both worlds, I can hopefully untie and open them while under the tarp, yet they are not hanging on the hammock side and possibly in the way.
    I take some extra stakes for the doors also.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I go with FLTurtle and LowTech. Have long enough stretch cord so you can connect to the stretch cord on the other end to hold the doors open - see FLTurtle's photo in the post. For closed configuration, run the cord to the opposite side guy tie out . That may cause the door to angle in a little, but there is still plenty of room under the tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ditto ^^^^^^^^^

Best, easiest, quickest, most versatile setup I've used.

Keeps the doors out of the way and secure in better weather when I'm setting up in hex mode.

Open and stake doors on one side only to block mild side wind and rain.

If I want to only close one end of the tarp, I attach the other end hooks to a prussik on the ridgeline.

Sometimes I've even been able to clip the hooks around the suspension trees to avoid staking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    On those mitten hooks, the gates tend to be a real pita and get in the way...prolly worse if you have gloves on. I snipped the gates off and sanded the stub down smooth. They hold just fine from just the shock cord tension.
    Bingo, those little gates are annoying, and cutting them off doesn't affect function at all.

Only difference with mine is that I made itty bitty whoopies with the Zing-it to provide some additional adjustability. (Photo made before I cut the gates off the mitten hooks...)

hex_std_door_closure_whoopies.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If plastic gets too brittle in the cold winter months, vendors sell tiny metal mitten hooks too. With some pliers, I remove the gates on those too.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I go with FLTurtle and LowTech. Have long enough stretch cord so you can connect to the stretch cord on the other end to hold the doors open - see FLTurtle's photo in the post. For closed configuration, run the cord to the opposite side guy tie out . That may cause the door to angle in a little, but there is still plenty of room under the tarp.
    I do this on the head end. I hang my pack from the foot end and haven't found a good way to close the doors with it there, not that I've had to. Tying the doors around the tree on that end provides an easy entry/exit way with a little bit of covered area to take off the rain jacket and stow in the aforementioned pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12