Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

VA > GHSP/ Mt-Rogers-Winter-Hang > Jan 19 - 22, 2023

I wasn't there but it was another good winter hang for the 20 or so that did make it.
    I understand that quite a few left Saturday afternoon/ evening because of the threat of ice Sunday morning.

Hickery said what was on the roads early Sunday, was pretty much gone by 9am.
    He was told that a couple cars had trouble on the way out, but we haven't got a report on that yet.

The raffle was done around noon, Saturday rather than in the evening, because of some were leaving.
    Between the raffle and donations, a pretty good donation was made for The Friends Of GHSP.
    Hickery will talk more about that.

Tell us about it!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG WinterPlace
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    It was a great hang. Was good to see everyone again. Hickory and Slowhike. Thank you both for all you do. Weather was great till Sunday morning. Had ice on the tarp. Left about 9:30 and the roads were fine at that point. Hope to see everyone at Yates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Had a blast, as usual. It had been a while since my last trip there-- don't know what kept me. Thoroughly enjoyed catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. Food was amazing. Never had smoked Mac & cheese before, but Hickery nailed it. Farmer Ron made amazing cobbler, meatballs, and hot buttered rum. The wind was something fierce Thursday night through Friday, but Sunday was beautiful. Great raffle! Hated to leave early (Early!) Saturday but it was for the best. 5 1/2 inches of snow here on Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&amp;Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    We cleared $430. for the Friends of GHSP. Mailing out a check this morning. We had it outside the shelter a little early this year. EARLY !!
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&amp;Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Had a blast, as usual. It had been a while since my last trip there-- don't know what kept me. Thoroughly enjoyed catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. Food was amazing. Never had smoked Mac & cheese before, but Hickery nailed it. Farmer Ron made amazing cobbler, meatballs, and hot buttered rum. The wind was something fierce Thursday night through Friday, but Sunday was beautiful. Great raffle! Hated to leave early (Early!) Saturday but it was for the best. 5 1/2 inches of snow here on Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    EARLY !!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thank you Hickery and Slowhike. Thank you great chefs PappyAmos, Hickery, Peeeeetey&Pebbles, and Farmer Ron. Your gustatory delights were better than high end restaurants.
    Ripstop’s hot tent and stove is a game changer.
    Good to see hammock creatures, y’all are the salt of the earth!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&amp;Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    The freezer rain started at 5am Sunday.Only lasted a couple hrs. When I crawled out after seven there was 3 of us left. We're 7 when I went to sack. Chappy had gone to check road conditions and came back after he hit black ice in the park. Around 9 the slag truck came down the road. Thanks for all that made it a success.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks Hickery and Slowhike for arranging such a fun event. I won some winter boots in the raffle. A fun time was had by all.

Sunday morning, I got up and pulled out of the parking lot at 5:30 AM. It started precipitating with freezing rain literally as I was starting my truck.

On the way out of the park, I encountered a dog (some kind of husky I think) that wouldn't come anywhere near me. 30 seconds after he bounded into the woods, I drove away and saw a porcupine on the road. I could not figure out what on earth that thing was until I pulled up right next to it. Wonder if the dog was chasing it?

Anyway, enjoy the photos, which includes some shots of the hike I did with Redrum and Eric H. to the twin pinnacles.
    thumbnail_IMG_3126.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3127.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3128.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3130.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3131.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3134.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3136.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3139.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3140.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3141.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3142.jpgthumbnail_69604432993__30AF9710-56E1-40FD-940A-D54753075F66.jpg
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Had a great time for both of us. Sorry we left so soon. Didn't want to get stranded. Forecast was 2 in snow last night and today. ok....wooses for sure!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I hope that doggie didn't catch the porcupine!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast