Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    No, just the Nemo inflatable. R 4.2 all on its own, was perfectly comfortable, no idea why I couldn't sleep. Just couldn't. Tried different inflation levels. :: shrug ::

Super spoiled by hammocking? Not super tired from a day of hiking (training walks just aren't the same)? Cosmic joke? No idea. If I have to emergency go to ground in a shelter with just a not-enough R foam pad, it'll suck more than if I were carrying the Nemo, but I'll have way less weight every step of the way and if I decide to change my mind there are outfitters right close to the AT in the Georgia section....
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    No, just the Nemo inflatable. R 4.2 all on its own, was perfectly comfortable, no idea why I couldn't sleep. Just couldn't. Tried different inflation levels. :: shrug ::

Super spoiled by hammocking? Not super tired from a day of hiking (training walks just aren't the same)? Cosmic joke? No idea. If I have to emergency go to ground in a shelter with just a not-enough R foam pad, it'll suck more than if I were carrying the Nemo, but I'll have way less weight every step of the way and if I decide to change my mind there are outfitters right close to the AT in the Georgia section....
    There are some tricks that work for me. Never going to beat my Darien, but if I've got to GtG...

Inflation level: Let out enough air (usually a lot) to let the hips sink to within about 1/2 inch of the floor. Use a pillow with less air in it as well.

Elbows: Air mat wide enough to provide some elbow support. 25" width works for me.

CCF: About 3/8 to 1/2" thickness ON TOP of the air mat.

Elevate Legs: This is a biggie... support under the knees and lower legs to raise them higher does wonders.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    I'll try this; wind and no snakeskin = PITA.
    Rolling works! Hammock Forums once again for the win!
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Cmoulder - you'd put the CCF on top of the inflatable? I'd think you'd want it under the air mat to better protect it from what's between it and the ground. ?? I can see how the CCF on top would distribute the weight more. Maybe I'm thinking of days-of-yore when "air mats" were just connected long tubes that started to leak if you just gave them a sharp look.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Cmoulder - you'd put the CCF on top of the inflatable? I'd think you'd want it under the air mat to better protect it from what's between it and the ground. ?? I can see how the CCF on top would distribute the weight more. Maybe I'm thinking of days-of-yore when "air mats" were just connected long tubes that started to leak if you just gave them a sharp look.
    from handling the nemo (200+ bucks, less than a pound for a regular length, R4.2) and from reading reviews of same I'd say this ultralite type still vulnerable to the sharp look The one I had didn't leak after three hours or so of my trying it over three nights, but indoor carpeting isn't much of a threat, either
    //

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Yes, tested many times for maximum insulation value, not for protecting the air mat. Usually I'm on snow when this configuration is used so damage to the air mat isn't as much of a problem. As a groundling, gotta be super vigilant about sharpies and carry a patch kit.

I figured out this insulation advantage a long time ago after discovering I wasn't getting much help from the CCF on bottom. Put it on top and noticed a drastic difference and have been doing the same ever since.

Some people say they notice no difference. Perhaps, but likely it isn't cold enough. Try it at -10°F and it becomes clear.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Folks,

In just about two weeks, knees willing and the creek don't rise, I'll start a LASH of the AT, starting on the approach trail at Springer Mountain.

I've geared up for the anticipated weather, but watching some up to the minute YouTube vlogs about others out already, my only remaining concern is wind. For those who have hiked these mountains in the Feb/Mar timeframe, how possible is it to find sites out of the wind? Lot of 20, 30 mile an hour winds reported in the weather reports I'm tracking.

While I've never stayed in a shelter yet in my 11 years of section hiking, I do sometimes look with covetous eyes at the ease of strolling into a shelter and slapping down a pad: no muss, no fuss, probably mice, definitely snoring (even if I'm alone, if you catch my drift), but no desperate battles to set a tarp in high winds (particularly during a cold rain). I'm trying to gauge how much effort, if any, to put into an alternate sleep plan, measured in additional ounces carried.

Zero extra ounces: deal with the weather no matter what
    10 extra ounces: too-low R factor foam pad for the expected low temps
    15 extra ounces: wow that air pad is expensive but sufficient R factor for the weather

All comments, chin-jawing, opines welcome. Tx all,

Update: I got in a week starting at Amicalola but was fighting back issues after the first few days, so off at Neels Gap and plan to be back in early April.

First couple of nights were quite exciting: winds gusting above 30, but slept warm and secure. Last night on trail at Woods Hole Shelter, just shy of Blood Mountain's summit, was an equally dicey wind forecast, so I hunkered down with a bit of hill between me and the main wind direction, which worked great until about 5AM when the wind shifted more than 90 degrees and came right at me through the "porch mode" side. With forethought and planning, it was the work of a few minutes to reset the tarp, and I managed a few more minutes of snooze before I was up for the day.

I anticipate slightly less wintry conditions in April than in February....

EDIT: I'm also looking at the Smokies, in which it seems iffy to hang when the official word is "you stay in the shelter, bub!" (Unless full). But there's a lot of miles from Springer to the Smokies, so my interest in comments here remains.

Red Cinema (my long time online handle-not-my-trail-name that's by default...become my trail name)
    //

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12